Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit union and data protection

Options
  • 06-09-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

Slightly different query but I'm sticking it in here. I was in my wife's Credit Union today and they'd signs up saying due to data protection legislation they can't disclose the balance on the account on the receipt if you aren't the account holder. The receipt I got just had the amount paid in and what went off the interest and loan on it.

I've never heard of that, I have an account with a different Credit Union and for pure ease I pass the money to my mother to pay it, and so far they don't do this. I've also had to do a fair bit with Data Protection legislation for work, although more in the CCTV line, and I can't see where in the legislation it says they can't disclose it. It is personal information, but so is the name and the account number, which is printed on it anyway. Has anyone else come across this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Please don't hijack unrelated threads. Post moved..

I'd imagine it boils down to differing information they've been given from whoever they get their data protection law advice from.

Like most legal areas, different people will interpret guidelines in different ways, and as such organisations will differ on how they implement things.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rpurfield wrote: »
    It is personal information, but so is the name and the account number, which is printed on it anyway. Has anyone else come across this??

Your name, branch code and account number are on any bank cheques that you write so it falls into a completely separate category. The balanced on an account is private data that should be protected, otherwise a complete stranger could go into a branch, lodge €5 into your account and be handed the balance on a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

rpurfield wrote: »
    Slightly different query but I'm sticking it in here. I was in my wife's Credit Union today and they'd signs up saying due to data protection legislation they can't disclose the balance on the account on the receipt if you aren't the account holder. The receipt I got just had the amount paid in and what went off the interest and loan on it.

I've never heard of that, I have an account with a different Credit Union and for pure ease I pass the money to my mother to pay it, and so far they don't do this. I've also had to do a fair bit with Data Protection legislation for work, although more in the CCTV line, and I can't see where in the legislation it says they can't disclose it. It is personal information, but so is the name and the account number, which is printed on it anyway. Has anyone else come across this??

Yes but you would go in with the account number and name anyways so already known and would not be an issue. Although generally would consider a name not being required for it. Certainly they should not have a balance available on it since you are not the account holder. Why should you be able to see the balance just because you lodged into the account in fairness?

Advertisement