Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running routes near Pearse Street?

Options
  • 07-09-2014 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've recently moved into an apartment in Hogan Place, which basically is parallel to Pearse Street.

I run about ten miles once a week, and then shorter distances a few other days a week. I run on the footpaths obviously alongside the road, generally after 8 pm and sometimes as late as 10.30 pm.

I'm thinking that being city centre I can't be going so late anymore, and I'm not too sure as to how safe it is or whatever, but would anyone have advice as to the best roads to run, maybe so I could circle back on the ten miles and arrive back at Hogan Place?

I can plan the specific route myself, but just wondering if anything pops to mind as to the best places to run or the best area or whatever...

Thanks!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

how about the canal or the the coast road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Out to Irishtown nature reserve and then out along the Great South Wall to Poolbeg lighthouse. Pretty much exactly 10 miles and beautiful.

Or go the other way out to dollymount beach and back. 10 miles again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Along the south quays, Grand Canal Basin, across the locks, through Ringsend, along Sandymount and on through Blackrock Park to the far end. Ten miles out and back and full of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Out to Irishtown nature reserve and then out along the Great South Wall to Poolbeg lighthouse. Pretty much exactly 10 miles and beautiful.

This route sounds A+ to me! Is it safe to run this at night? Like if I leave at 8 pm and am back for 9.30 or thereabouts?

Thanks everyone. Am looking at all your suggestions because I might vary it up a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zozimus10

Heading up to Mount Street and then heading towards Ballsbridge and Merrion would probably be the "safest" route. But may get a bit boring after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Vivara wrote: »
    This route sounds A+ to me! Is it safe to run this at night? Like if I leave at 8 pm and am back for 9.30 or thereabouts?

Thanks everyone. Am looking at all your suggestions because I might vary it up a little!

I've done it at night a hundred times. No problems.

If you dont like the idea of running through Irishtown nature reserve at night you can run past the container terminal which is well lit (but there's a smell from the sewage treatment plant).

Might be best avoided during stormy weather. Its pretty exposed out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP go to Google Maps and put in your location. Then go to map filters and select the 'Bicycling' filter. Google will then show you a map with highlighted areas they advise for cycling which means its useful for running too as the filter is set up to help you avoid main traffic throughfares. Its not 100% accurate as cycling isnt permitted in some parks but as a way of finding out which streets, paths and parks have good routes for walkers, joggers and cyclists its not bad.

Anyway if I was looking for routes in your area I'd be thinking of routes that incorporate a few laps of both Ringsend Park and Herbert Park, both in D4 and not that far from to Hogan Place. Do check out the winter opening hours though, I'm not sure if you can jog them after dark in the winter, the signage at the entrance should say.

Advertisement