Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are wifi modems locked?

Options
  • 07-09-2014 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I have a wifi modem (like this one) which was purchased and is used in Ireland. I haven't spent the amount of €120 mentioned in the FAQ as yet.

I'm going away for a few days, and can get a cheap data SIM in my destination, which would be very handy while I'm there. Does anyone know if the wifi modems are generally locked on purchase here? If they are locked, would a phone unlocking shop be able to unlock them, and how long does this usually take? I still want to be able to use it with my current Irish provider when I get back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Thoie wrote: »
    I have a wifi modem (like this one) which was purchased and is used in Ireland. I haven't spent the amount of €120 mentioned in the FAQ as yet.

I'm going away for a few days, and can get a cheap data SIM in my destination, which would be very handy while I'm there. Does anyone know if the wifi modems are generally locked on purchase here? If they are locked, would a phone unlocking shop be able to unlock them, and how long does this usually take? I still want to be able to use it with my current Irish provider when I get back.

The majority of 3g modems are locked, the exact model number should be listed on the device - eBay usually have the unlock codes for cheap so if you search the device name and unlock you should find a result

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Three don't unlock the modems for some reason....

Advertisement