Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big move to Dublin as a student-tips and advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

To those who think o Connell street is rough does that include during the day? I would have grown up thinking it was the most accessible place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

O'Connell Street (and every other area in the city centre!) is grand.There's usually a few drug addicts or drunks hanging about,and they can look intimidating if you're not used to seeing them,but they are harmless.If they ask you for change/or a smoke a polite ''sorry'' does the trick.

If you use common sense like you would in any other city (not walking down dark alleys by yourself in the dead of night,not walking about with your head buried in your iphone etc) you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

oncex wrote: »
    To those who think o Connell street is rough does that include during the day? I would have grown up thinking it was the most accessible place

Jesus girl, are you mad or wha? You go walking down O' Connell street during the day and you'll be shot, especially if you're coming from the country. No, you're best off using the back roads and alleys if you're wandering around those parts of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'm assuming the OP is a girl just gone 18. Grown adult my arse. There is absolutely no harm whatsoever in a teenager who's been drinking and is in an unfamiliar city texting someone the number of the taxi they get into on their own. That's basic cop on.

Texting your mammy at 2am to tell her that you have arrived safely at Coppers and are eagerly awaiting a shift, is not basic cop on. It is an over the top presumption that Dublin's taxi drivers are going around raping and pillaging every single culchie damsel that gets into their cars.

What exactly are the mammys of Ireland suppose to do, if they fail to get said text from their precious darlings? Alert the Garda S.W.A.T team at Harcout St to to make haste to Coppers to ensure that everything is ok? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

oncex wrote: »
    So I've just moved to Dublin, anyone have any general Dublin knowledge that I should be aware of?! In terms of safety, where should I avoid, what taxis to avoid etc?

Taxi drivers are grand, honestly. They aren't going to hurt you or anything. But if you want, take the number of their taxi licence. In my experience I've had great craic with them no bother at all.

O Connell St is fine! Often I have waited for my bus at the top of connell street at night and the most hassle I've gotten is "have ya go a smoke/change love?" It can look intimidating but just be smart.

Basic rules for anywhere, don't go off on your own down dark alleys or side streets at night...that applies to any where in the world. Be vigilant, don't have your head in your phone.

Dublin is nice to live in. This is coming from a country girl like you who moved up by herself (and is now trying to move up there again).

Invest in a leap card, or a bike. Buy from lidl or aldi, make sure you know the places that do student offers or just really good offers in general. Boojum if you like Mexican, do a deal where you get a burrito or burrito bowl and a drink for 7 or 8 quid and they are very filling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement