Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holles St

Options
  • 07-09-2014 8:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I'm expecting my second baby. I haven't decided yet whether to go public or semi-private (went public last time, probably will this time too.

A few questions:
    - I'd like the same consultant as I had last time - If I go public, how likely is this, and will I have any say in it?
    - Any thoughts on Dr Michael Foley? I'm interested in others' experiences.
    - If I go public, do I have to do combined care, or is hospital only an option? I went with combined care last time, I was never offered an alternative.
    - Do I need to go to GP anyways to confirm the pregnancy, or could I just skip that and book directly with the hospital?
    - I have no idea how far along I am. My periods never really returned after the birth of my last baby eight months ago. Is it likely that they'll arrange an early scan, and would it be faster if I went via GP? Or will they just set a date based on an abdominal examination?

All the questions! :o Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Firstly congrats!

So if you go semi private you pick your doctor, and they will see you at your appointments, unless they get called away for an emergency (happened me once) but they won't necessarily be there for the birth, unless you go private you get just midwives or the doc on duty that day
    You do combined care - so alternate GP and hospital
    You don't need a GP to confirm, you can just book in but they will ask for last period date
    The merion clinic can be booked for an early scan, you do it yourself
    I didn't use dr foley so cannot help there but I am sure they are all good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

AFAIK the Holles street website has each of the consultants days listed - I was under Dr Cathy Allen, she does a Thursday, so my appointments were always on a Thursday morning. You can find out what day a particular doctor does, and when you ring for your first appointment ask to be seen on that day, eg, if Dr Foley does Mondays, ask for your initial appointment to be on a Monday morning and you'll then continue in his clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I'd like the same consultant as I had last time - If I go public, how likely is this, and will I have any say in it? - Yes, if you want to go on a certain day to see a certain consultant, (say Mondays for Dr. Foley) tell the booking assistant on the phone that you can only make Mondays due to work commitments. This is what I always did - i attended Dr. Foley on Mondays throughout all of my pregnancies (3).
    - Any thoughts on Dr Michael Foley? I'm interested in others' experiences. - Dr. Foley is an amazing obstetrician - however, his bedside manner can leave a lot of be desired. If you're aware of this before you see him, it's fine - but if you're expecting to be molly-coddled - he is NOT the man! He has no time for pregnancy moans (!) - he will only spend the necessary amount of time with you - he'll check you, baby and then it's onto the next person. Reputation has it that all of the NMH midwives attend him because of his brilliant obstetrics - but he doesn't suffer fools gladly. On the plus his clinic is run like a military operation - I heard the expression you'll spend more time looking for parking then you will with Dr. Foley - and it's true! His mantra is that you're pregnant not sick, and therefore unless there's something wrong there's no need for you to be time wasting - but he'll be the first to detect if there is something wrong. You're in an out (except for first visit which will be about an hour due to medical history). He is also one of the very few (maybe the only) consultant to comes around the public wards each day (that he's in - it was his registrar on my last baby as it was the weekend) and he checks on his public patients - now, no niceties - but checks your notes and sees how you are! He's incredibly competent and it's very reassuring.
    - If I go public, do I have to do combined care, or is hospital only an option? I went with combined care last time, I was never offered an alternative. I've only ever done combined care - saved me going into town.
    - Do I need to go to GP anyways to confirm the pregnancy, or could I just skip that and book directly with the hospital? book directly with the hospital. on my first i went to the gp and got a letter but my second i just rang the booking line directly (and asked for a monday!!)
    - I have no idea how far along I am. My periods never really returned after the birth of my last baby eight months ago. Is it likely that they'll arrange an early scan, and would it be faster if I went via GP? Or will they just set a date based on an abdominal examination? Dr. Foley will scan you at your first appointment (in fact, he pretty much scans at every appointment) - nothing long or detailed - but a whip over the tummy to get measurements and heartbeat etc. I can't comment for other doctors. We got a few early scans as it could be 14 weeks before you get your appointment. I went to Mount Carmel which is obviously gone but also to ultrasound dimensions in blackrock and they were wonderful.

Sorry for the messy post - I hope it makes sense! Massive congrats - there's 15 months between my youngest 2 and although it's hard at times, it's wonderfully rewarding.

Advertisement