Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats and compensation

• 07-09-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Anyone know when results are out and what's the story with compensation, messed up one of the four I did in August!! Very unsure about it....

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Repeat results are out the 10th. Only a few more days to go! :-S

I don't know how compensation applies. It would depend on whether your marks are capped, I don't think that all subjects do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭R_V_P 24

Repeat results are out the 10th. Only a few more days to go! :-S

I don't know how compensation applies. It would depend on whether your marks are capped, I don't think that all subjects do that.

Hey thanks for reply,

Well I was sick for summer and gave them certs so I'd assume that these are treated like summer!? I seen something about 25% just to pass!!? I'm sure I passed the rest, just this ones a bit dodgy!!

R_V_P 24 wrote: »
    Hey thanks for reply,

Well I was sick for summer and gave them certs so I'd assume that these are treated like summer!? I seen something about 25% just to pass!!? I'm sure I passed the rest, just this ones a bit dodgy!!

You shouldn't be capped so. You'll need 25% in the exam and an average of 40% over all for compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭R_V_P 24

You shouldn't be capped so. You'll need 25% in the exam and an average of 40% over all for compensation

Does that mean I can only fail one module in a subject!? So I need 40 overall to pass but can I fail two modules in different subjects and still go on with a 40% average!? Thanks for the help

R_V_P 24 wrote: »
    Does that mean I can only fail one module in a subject!? So I need 40 overall to pass but can I fail two modules in different subjects and still go on with a 40% average!? Thanks for the help

I think so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 fizzlecakes

I repeated EU law 1, but I passed EU 2. That was my only repeat exam, but it didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Does anyone know if I could perhaps pass by compensation using EU 2. I find the whole grades and compensation thing very confusing so I'd really appreciate some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fizzlecakes

I repeated EU law 1, but I passed EU 2. That was my only repeat exam, but it didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Does anyone know if I could perhaps pass by compensation using EU 2. I find the whole grades and compensation thing very confusing so I'd really appreciate some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

email the head of the dept. their email is found on the university website or in your beginners book. They know whats what for certain and will be able to tell you where you stand.. -they're also generally nice people who want to help you. If you're unsure about emailing them find the department secretery they are all knowing also!

however when you go into student web services what does it say? you should see pass , fail , incomplete , or pass by compensation... They work it all out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Calypsio

Heya. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what to do next, I'm a little lost on these results.

Here's the story, I am in first year arts and failed 3 modules all from the same subject, I passed the other module and got 42%. I repeated the exams and got the following results (this is what it says on the letter that came out):

Total credits: 15

Computer Science 1 (Arts) 350/1000 Pass by compensation
    Databases 40/100 Pass 5 (credits)
    Intro to computer programming 33/100 Pass by compensation 5 (credits)
    Intro to computer systems 21/100 Pass by compensation 5 (credits)

My question is, what happens now? The letter says I passed by compensation and even says I got the credits for all of the modules, but I thought I needed a minimum of 25% in every module to go into second year?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Calypsio wrote: »
    Heya. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what to do next, I'm a little lost on these results.

Here's the story, I am in first year arts and failed 3 modules all from the same subject, I passed the other module and got 42%. I repeated the exams and got the following results (this is what it says on the letter that came out):

Total credits: 15

Computer Science 1 (Arts) 350/1000 Pass by compensation
    Databases 40/100 Pass 5 (credits)
    Intro to computer programming 33/100 Pass by compensation 5 (credits)
    Intro to computer systems 21/100 Pass by compensation 5 (credits)

My question is, what happens now? The letter says I passed by compensation and even says I got the credits for all of the modules, but I thought I needed a minimum of 25% in every module to go into second year?

when you go into SWS does it let you pick comp sci as an option.?. often if you don't get 25 you can proceed to second year but must drop the subject you didnt get >25% in- this is in my experience might be worth while to contact the year head/ course coordinator!

• Advertisement
Advertisement