Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is O'Connell street that bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It'll be interesting to see what affect Luas coming through has on the street, and that general area. Rather than the guards simply chasing out the "undesirables" though, it'd be nice to have a concerted effort to properly tackle that problem at root. Otherwise you just leave another part of the city with a similar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cloud493 wrote: »
    Just coming off the AH thread, is it that bad? I mean I won't lie and say I've never been hassled on it or its a place I'd want to eat my lunch on whatever, but I've never seen the 'hordes' of junkies or whatever people seem to imply there is, same with Henry street and Talbot street, the anti social aspect is totally blown out of proportion. Although I certainly couldn't deny more Gardai around wouldn't be a good thing.

You see that is where things get subjective. For you getting a bit of hassle and not being able to eat your lunch on the street is okay and doesnt bother you that much, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion.

But for others of us here we see what could be a fantastic street, one of the finest boulevards in Europe, become a place where you cant walk down without getting some hassle. And defintely not a place you'd have lunch on a cafes tables outside on the street because you know well you'd be hassled for spare change or a cigarette or whatever they're after. For others of us here we don't want O'Connell street to be 'not that bad', the city deserves better than that IMO.

Probably my favourite place to eat on O'Connell Street is the upstairs area in Beshoffs. You can just sit there and take in the view of the GPO and watch life go by. But over the last couple of years I've been going there it offers a birds eye view of the hassle that many locals and tourists have to put up with on O'Connell Street. Much of this happens on the Talbot Side of the street all the while there is a Garda posted like a statue at the GPO and told not to move one inch from their position. But you can literally be sitting in Beshoffs watching beggars hassling tourists on one side of O'Connell St while on the other a Garda stands still all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You see that is where things get subjective. For you getting a bit of hassle and not being able to eat your lunch on the street is okay and doesnt bother you that much, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion.

But for others of us here we see what could be a fantastic street, one of the finest boulevards in Europe, become a place where you cant walk down without getting some hassle. And defintely not a place you'd have lunch on a cafes tables outside on the street because you know well you'd be hassled for spare change or a cigarette or whatever they're after. For others of us here we don't want O'Connell street to be 'not that bad', the city deserves better than that IMO.

Probably my favourite place to eat on O'Connell Street is the upstairs area in Beshoffs. You can just sit there and take in the view of the GPO and watch life go by. But over the last couple of years I've been going there it offers a birds eye view of the hassle that many locals and tourists have to put up with on O'Connell Street. Much of this happens on the Talbot Side of the street all the while there is a Garda posted like a statue at the GPO and told not to move one inch from their position. But you can literally be sitting in Beshoffs watching beggars hassling tourists on one side of O'Connell St while on the other a Garda stands still all day.

The last time I can remember eating in O'Connell St was in Burgerking about 15 years ago.

Fish and Chips wouldnt be my thing, unless it was in Kilmore Quay, but I'd consider going for a tea or a coffee in Beshoffs just to take in the scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

it's not the same since Mandys closed down, quality eaterie that was........

Jumboman wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that the main street of our capital city is such a kip.

I don't think there are many other countries were their main street happens to be one of the worst streets in the country.

Interesting point. I can never remember getting any hassle or feeling in any way unsafe on Edinburghs Royal Mile, London's Oxford St, Manchesters Piccadilly, Paris' Champs Elyese nor Munichs pedestrianised shopping district. I can remember getting hassle on the Centraal Station end of Damrak in Amsterdam, funnily enough the further you go down Damrak towards the Royal Palace the hassle quickly ceases, I guess its okay for the tourists but not the Dutch Royal Family. The only other street in Europe that reminds me of O'Connell Street is Las Ramblas in Barcaleona which has just as much hassle as O'Connell Street and probably twice or three times the crime. At night the main street is basically a red light zone so thats really saying something. Conversely I cant remember getting any hassle on the streets of Madrid and remember seeing police about in almost too frequent a manner but maybe their density increases the closer you are to the Royal Palace.
    Addicts have been congregating on the corner of Westmoreland Street/Aston Quay since the 90's.They use the phone box and the lanes behind the quay.

Most of the addicts that used to frequent the Talbot/Nth Earl/Marlborough St areas have been pushed down towards the Custom House by the brilliantly thought out Garda operation that doesn't actually solve anything.

Just behind the Super Value on Aston Quay there is an alleyway that runs parallel with Aston Quay, I think its called Bedford Row. Anyway the council or Temple Bar Trust or some organisation ran a really good project there to make the alleyway accessible to tourists, it is in Temple Bar after all. The alleyway was done up as an open air muesum on Irish music arts, with murals on the walls explaining the careers or writers, musicans, etc. It didnt take long for the junkies to ruin it for everyone and a tourist going down that alleyway now really is very likely to see junkies shooting up or fighting or any of the other stuff they get up to.

But as usual we have this roundabout way with the Gardai, junkies and politicians. Customs House seems to be the new spot for them, the businesses in other areas will be happy but all it does is ruffle the carpet and sweep the problem elsewhere.
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The last time I can remember eating in O'Connell St was in Burgerking about 15 years ago.

Fish and Chips wouldnt be my thing, unless it was in Kilmore Quay, but I'd consider going for a tea or a coffee in Beshoffs just to take in the scenery

Yeah its a fab place even just for a tea or coffee, you could sit there all day and just watch life go by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

O'Connell Street isn't as bad as some posters name out but it certianly could do with improving.

There are too many low end shops/outlets on the street and anti-social behaviour is commonplace. The building of the much vaunted shopping centre on the upper part of the street might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dede12

Just off O'Connell street was one of the first places I lived when moving to Ireland and I have to say, its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I always see people on here giving out that it makes Ireland look bad to tourists, etc & I've never thought that.

Sure it could certainly use some aesthetic cleanup & less chain fast food joints but I certainly wouldnt call it dangerous by any means. There are a lot of places I wouldnt feel comfortable wandering alone at night as a 5' foot tall woman but I've walked alone around O'connell street area both at night and during the day many times and never felt particularly wary or had any bother beyond a beggar or two asking for change. Right now I think it's main issue is that it looks like a rundown gentrified area.

Course that could be because in the main city near my home in the States theres plenty of places I wouldnt feel comfortable going in broad daylight for fear of getting shot or mugged due to rampant inner city gang violence. So by comparison O'Connel street doesnt even register to me as a 'dangerous' place.

To Muahahaha, I'm surprised you say you think the royal mile on Edinburg is nicer? I was there a few years ago & while its great during the day I quickly felt uncomfortable there during the evening. There were several homeless men camping out along there that clearly had either drug or mental problems and were acting very erratic. While I know most homeless people are not likely to be any threat, I quickly decided not to venture out alone at night in Edinbraugh there after a few uncomfortable encounters with them.

dede12 wrote: »

To Muahahaha, I'm surprised you say you think the royal mile on Edinburg is nicer? I was there a few years ago & while its great during the day I quickly felt uncomfortable there during the evening. There were several homeless men camping out along there that clearly had either drug or mental problems and were acting very erratic. While I know most homeless people are not likely to be any threat, I quickly decided not to venture out alone at night in Edinbraugh there after a few uncomfortable encounters with them.

Admittedly Ive only been on the Royal Mile in the day time but found it grand then. I didnt know it was like that at night which surprises me as Edinburgh as a city relies so much on tourism.

In any case I'd nearly go as far as to suggest that O'Connell Street is safer at night time than it is during the day. The vast majority of the time that I walk the Talbot St side during the day I either get asked for change or see others being hassled. But then often I walk up the Henry St side of it circa 11pm to get a bus and never get any hassle at all. As Maikomi pointed out earlier all of that element are gone home by 10pm. Thats not to say you cant or won't see incidents on O'Connell Street after 10pm, its more to say that if you are minding your own business it is unlikely you'll be a part of the incident. Whereas during the daytime it can be a difficult street to traverse without seeing at least one beggar, if not a pack of them.

I agree with your overall point though. O'Connell St isnt any kind of warzone that some people make out. But it does have its problems and these problems are making tourists feel unsafe. It only takes five or maybe six tourists writing to guide books saying the same thing and suddenly the safety issue snowballs- in the same way guide books advise tourists to stay away from Las Ramblas in Barcelona at night time they could just as well advise tourists to avoid O'Connell Street during the day. Dublin doesnt want to go down that road because once you get a reputation as being unsafe then its very hard to shed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Well, I've been living close to O'Connell Street for over 10 years and am up and down it every day, and I can say the threat is exaggerated. But certain people do make it an uncomfortable place at times, there's no doubt about that.

Ultimately what's needed is for drug addiction to be classed as a public health issue - and that much is clear to most people - rather than a criminal one. Criminality only compounds the problem. I think thats the first step, although, its something that Ireland is probably years away from politically. Also, homelessness need to be more aggressively managed. Its not acceptable to have so many people without proper shelter in a western european country.

I'm as sensitive to what tourists think of my home town as the next person, but they do come back in their droves. Every weekend a fresh contingent walks by my window from a nearby hotel decked out in, colorful rain jackets and cameras. Theres is always a large amount in the city center at any one time, not too mention the Asian, Eastern European and South American migrant workers and students who take up the majority of rented accommodation in and around D1. In spite of O'Connell Streets problems, lots and lots of people come here from overseas on a regular basis. I find that encouraging and it confirms that the city center is a safe place. At times, I would like to see what they see though.

Theres also the Luas line and the planned regeneration of Parnell Square and Dominic Street, along with the shopping district at the old Carlton and Moore street. The future looks good. I think the best days are ahead of us and not too far way at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Only a matter of time before Dublin is blacklisted in a travel magazine for the state of the north side in particular. Maybe that is what it will take to see some action.

The methadone clinics have to go. It's that simple. That would solve 3/4 of the problems around O'Connell St and the Luas red line in my opinion.

I also think if something is not done than the new Luas line is a major blunder because there will be even easier access to Dublin city center and the clinics from the likes of Cabra and Broombridge.

I foretold what would happen with the red line, the areas it was going to and the amenities it was passing like the children's court and direct access to the clinics. Sadly that is exactly what has happened. As a result a lot of people find the trams intimidating and they think it is dangerous and many stopped using it. No foresight or cop on from anyone in this city.

The red line is transport for junkies and feral juveniles all converging on the city center. That is the result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Only a matter of time before Dublin is blacklisted in a travel magazine for the state of the north side in particular. Maybe that is what it will take to see some action.

The methadone clinics have to go. It's that simple. That would solve 3/4 of the problems around O'Connell St and the Luas red line in my opinion.

I also think if something is not done than the new Luas line is a major blunder because there will be even easier access to Dublin city center and the clinics from the likes of Cabra and Broombridge.

I foretold what would happen with the red line, the areas it was going to and the amenities it was passing like the children's court and direct access to the clinics. Sadly that is exactly what has happened. As a result a lot of people find the trams intimidating and they think it is dangerous and many stopped using it. No foresight or cop on from anyone in this city.

The red line is transport for junkies and feral juveniles all converging on the city center. That is the result.

Jesus Christ,what world do you live in?should only more affluent areas receive good public transport services so?

Luas red line is always busy and provides a vital and efficient service from the western suburbs into the city.Sure there are some un-desirables that cause trouble every now and then but ''transport for junkies and feral children'' is a ridiculously OTT blanket statement.

Where are the many addicts that are housed in poor quality B+B's and hostels in and around the city centre supposed to go if their methadone clinics are suddenly closed?there's a massive crisis in regards to public housing at is in this city,without adding them to the problem.Not to mention that residents of every area that a new clinic is proposed in will be met with huge, by and large ignorant,protest from NIMBY residents.

How did you come to your ridiculous ''its only a matter of time before Dublin is blacklisted by a travel magazine'' conclusion?sure only last month we were voted the 5th friendliest (up from 13th in previous poll) city in the world by one of your fabled travel magazines.

Sure all you have to do is take a stroll around town on a sunny afternoon and see for yourself just how many tourists of various age and nationality are obviously enjoying themselves.

Go on,I promise you won't be savaged by marauding drug addicts or feral teenagers,and you might even enjoy yourself (and the city) in the process!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Anyone who thinks O'Connell Street is safe is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Here is just some examples of the regular violence and anti social behaviour that takes place on that street.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

First video above = fail. Not (at least at the start of the 'start', - didn't watch it) O'Connell Street.

Hang around outside Lidl on Moore Street either side of 2pm and watch the boss of the professional beggars give his 'pep talk'.

Imo, only emergency service personnel, and some social workers and medical professionals get to see the real underbelly of the city (equally of the country), and it is definitely not pretty.

Lots of reasons; lots of expensive cures; early intervention works (if it is possible). It is much cheaper to paper over the cracks and pass the problem on.

Evil is part of the human condition. O'Connell Street, your street, the house up the street. It happens in D4 and in Montenotte as well, maybe nowhere near as often, but nowhere is immune. Edmund Burke may have said it; we all have probably read it.

We have had many scandals come down the tracks in recent years. The current train in the station, departing soon, is Direct Provision. Which carriage will be opened first? First class: the owners. Second class: the staff. Third class: the residents.

First world problems - agonising about them is so easy.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Anyone who thinks O'Connell Street is safe is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Here is just some examples of the regular violence and anti social behaviour that takes place on that street.

I'm not seeing the safety of anyone threatened there - bar the participants in idiotic (and hardly regular) fights. I'd suggest that O'Connell street (or indeed anywhere else) isn't safe if your choice is to fight your mates. Passers by seem remarkably unscathed by the idiocy. And the threat to anyone's safety from doddery junkies unable to stand up is pretty low - unless they happen to fall on you, which, given the speed they move, is easily avoided - even the woman with the crutch in the last video managed to neatly sidestep the tottering junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As an FYI, I saw more junkies shooting up in a twenty minute walk around Oslo last year than I did in twenty years of living in Dublin. Dublin is not a bad place to live, by comparison with other international cities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Its a disgrace that the main street of our capital city is such a kip.

I don't think there are many other countries were their main street happens to be one of the worst streets in the country.

Just got back from Athens...Omonia and Monesteriki are SWARMING with junkies,pickpockets,beggars and hookers.

O'Connell St is nothing by comparison...the irish junkies and alcos are actually quite benign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Han534

I dont think its that bad.

Look at the positives alot of nice people.

Like all areas some good and bad people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I've said it once and I'll say it again: the junkies aren't that harmful. They're annoying. Rude. And a bother, yes.
    They're also a blight on the city's appearance, not just one street.
    But they're generally not dangerous.

The most you'll get from most junkies is the "de ya have a smoke bud?". You say "no, sorry. I don't smoke/have none" and off you go.

Scumbags are scumbags but as the fights above show... don't get involved. Most times they'll pick fights with one another. The problem is that most people equate being loud with being trouble. Loud noises usually put people on alert. I dunno what's louder half the time when I'm walking around town: the kids reared in the inner city or some of the foreigners. But neither are more dangerous than the other.

There are certainly some areas I wouldn't walk but O'Connell street isn't one of them. Any time I've gone through there I've never felt bothered and I've often walked home from clubs on my own at 4AM after seeing a group of two people beat one another up outside on the street.

Heres another example of how dangerous the street is.

A group of Scumbags attacked a spar shop for over 20 minutes yet there was not a garda in sight.

I think people here are looking at O'Connell Street through rose tinted glasses. This simply would not happen in any other european capital were you have a group of Scumbags attacking a shop on the mainstreet yet the police are nowhere to be seen.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/outrage-after-racist-attack-in-heart-of-the-capital-30189997.html

A sickening racial attack on a Dublin shop in the country's main thoroughfare has caused outrage among business groups and the opposition.

Businesses say attacks on staff, including physical assaults and violent and threatening behaviour, are now commonplace and are particularly felt in the country's busiest streets, and some in broad daylight.
    Gardai say they are investigating after the Irish Independent revealed shocking footage of a group of youths attempting to batter down the front door of a Spar retail outlet on O'Connell Street, in Dublin city centre, at 9pm on Monday night.
    The violent scenes broke out after shop staff apprehended a man trying to steal some bars of chocolate.
    - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/outrage-after-racist-attack-in-heart-of-the-capital-30189997.html#sthash.fWizuITw.dpuf
    A sickening racial attack on a Dublin shop in the country's main thoroughfare has caused outrage among business groups and the opposition.

NWS_2014-04-16_NEW_010_31362256_I1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

A group of Scumbags attacked a spar shop for over 20 minutes yet there was not a garda in sight.

I think people here are looking at O'Connell Street through rose tinted glasses. This simply would not happen in any other european capital were you have a group of Scumbags attacking a shop on the mainstreet yet the police are nowhere to be seen.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/outrage-after-racist-attack-in-heart-of-the-capital-30189997.html

I think the situation is that there are, very rarely it would have to be said, dangerous incidents on the street, that does not mean that the street itself is generally dangerous. You can't extrapolate from one to the other.

The fact that the Garda didn't show up for ages is a concern and shouldn't happen.

• Advertisement

The fact that the Garda didn't show up for ages is a concern and shouldn't happen.

The Gardas wont go into O'Connell Street most of the time because they are afraid of the Scumbags. Thats what I was talking about when I said it was a no go area after 10PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

The Gardas wont go into O'Connell Street most of the time because they are afraid of the Scumbags. Thats what I was talking about when I said it was a no go area after 10PM.

Do we have proof of this? I saw (what I thought) was a girl being raped and signaled two gardaí and they went over without an issue; this was around 3am or so.

I've seen gardaí come around the street to break up fights.
    They won't be out right away, that's true. But to see they're afraid or won't go there at all makes it seem like O'Connell street is akin to a no-go area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

As main streets in capital cities go O' Connell st is not a very good one, but it isn't half as dangerous as you're making it out to be. So far you've provided nothing but anecdotal evidence, random videos and photos, do you have any evidence to support your claim? Or any evidence that shows O' Connell st as being more dangerous than a comparable main street in another EU capital? I'm talking real evidence like crime statistics or statements from the Gardai etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Jumboman - theres no such thing as a no go area in Ireland.

Its a myth perpetuated by sheltered suburban/small town teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Complete nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Wasn't it the indo that was calling for cuts to the 'bloated public sector'?

Now they're bleating about the lack of gardai.

NWS_2014-04-16_NEW_010_31362256_I1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dede12

In fairness, it takes ages for the Garda to show up anywhere in Ireland in my experience. A year or so ago in Galway, 2 lads broke into my apt while my housemate and I were home, she was nearly asleep in bed & woke up to one of them getting in there w. her! :O We managed to chase em out & called the Garda but even tho we could see them lingering near the apt complex for about half an hour & called the cops multiple times saying we could see them out there drinking no Gardas showed up until nearly an hour later - by which time they had scampered.

This happened around 2 am in a main part of Galway,just a little ways of shop street so not exactly a 'no-go' area. The cop later told us they only had 2 cars and about 10 people on duty for the entire city & surrounding area that night so because nearly all the garda had been trying to break up a fight at a nightclub (according to him at least) there wasnt anybody left to respond to our call! We were left thanking our lucky stars that neither of us had been alone at the time and that the two of us together has managed to scare em off. So really it seems to me that the issues you do come across in both Dublin and the rest of Ireland are much more a result of not enough policing rather than rampant violence.

& For what its worth being a foreigner myself & knowing a great many people who have come to Ireland - both from the States and other western european countries - I think you are vastly overstating how dangerous most people perceive Dublin to be. By and large everyone I've met has loved being a tourist in Ireland and not found the place to be threatening in the least. You have to remember that Ireland is a small country and a the few isolated incidents you're pointing out are just that - a few incidents. Most people visiting Dublin (& certainly nearly all of us Yanks there) are from places where much more violent things happen much more often so by comparison Dublin & O'Connell street isnt exactly all that bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

cloud493 wrote: »
    Just coming off the AH thread, is it that bad? I mean I won't lie and say I've never been hassled on it or its a place I'd want to eat my lunch on whatever, but I've never seen the 'hordes' of junkies or whatever people seem to imply there is, same with Henry street and Talbot street, the anti social aspect is totally blown out of proportion.

There are junkies in the city centre. But there are not 'hordes' of them.

In Ireland, we may have the same eyes and speak the same language. But what we see and perceive, and what we mean when we speak can be radically different.

You know the Ross O'Carroll Kelly types, and his lovely clownish wife Sorcha? The people who go to the swanky clubs and eateries on Dawson street. Where I live there are literally, and have been homeless heroin addicts on my doorstep and sleeping in my back garden. Where they live, yes, there are plenty of privileged and protected alcoholics and drug users, but working class people are a relatively rare sight; Sorcha might see them in ones and twos, but never swarms.

A very large number of working class people live in Dublin city centre. The 'hordes' of junkies that frighten and disgust the Sorchas of our fine nation, are in the main neither junkies nor alcoholics, but just working class Dubliners; going about their funny day in their funny clothes, their funny voices, funny faces, funny bodies, etc. Although both are indigenous peoples of our wonderful country, they are fundamentally ethnically different. Sorcha is used to an ethnically clean environment where she lives, occasionally works, the crèche and schools she pops her little darlings into. All she asks is the same standard of ethnic hygiene is extended to the city centre.

They are really like that. One night I was queuing in the mini Tesco on Wexford street. And there were two young Ross's and a Sorcha in front of me. They look up and down the queue in worry and confusion; Sorcha's bottom lip is trembling in fear. Then one of the Ross's says to the other two "Gawd....they let all these homeless people in here". Welcome to the hood.

The greatest nuisance at the weekends in the city centre, is drunk Sorchas and Ross's in for a night's portying. Sorcha won't be able to keep her loud snotty mouth shut; snide comments for all the "junkies" she totters by, if you do tell her to put a lid on that drain, her rugby muscled Ross will give you a beating.

O'Connell street also operates a "whites only" taxi rank.

It is one of the most lawless streets in the country.

Anybody who encourages tourists to visit there is being extremely irresponsible in my opinion.

http://www.herald.ie/news/divided-by-race-27961736.html
    Austin Nwanze (35) from Nigeria said he avoided the O'Connell Street taxi rank because of increasing discrimination.

Stones
    "There have been occasions when African taxi drivers have picked up passengers at O'Connell Street or nearby, and Irish drivers have thrown stones at their cars," he told the Herald.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm talking real evidence like crime statistics or statements from the Gardai etc.

The gardas are useless what do you expect them to say ? "sure aren't we great we have crime in Ireland at its lowest rate ever and we are making Dublin a drug free city."

Crime figures do not reflect reality. Most incidents never even get reported.

Advertisement