Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is O'Connell street that bad?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

italodisco wrote: »
    ya clown, it means that I'm streetwise , my eyes are open I.e I see what's around me and am aware/alert...
    it's not luck. there's no such thing as luck.
    then again you probably go to mass and believe in the tooth fairy so fair enough.

now disappear

Uncivil, personal abuse. Warning issued and don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

alastair please enlighten us, you say u live in Inner city ? so answer this, we're you born and raised there AND do you live in privately owned/rented or in social housing ?

I'd say you grew up in a middle class place with a handy enough life.

on here comparing yourself to people that grew up in and still life in the middle of the sh't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

you'll do what yer told

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

you'll do what yer told

see ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: italodisco ignored mod instruction, break from forum given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

From Cork but was in Dublin regularly most weekends a couple of years ago. Never had a problem walking around anytime of the day or night. Heard the stories about the scary junkies, when I saw them I laughed. These junkies could barely walk never mind being a physical threat. You'd knock them over with a slap. Saw some fights but they seemed to be personal not just random attacks.

Never feared for my safety once up there. And I'm not a big fella or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Heckler wrote: »
    From Cork but was in Dublin regularly most weekends a couple of years ago. Never had a problem walking around anytime of the day or night. Heard the stories about the scary junkies, when I saw them I laughed. These junkies could barely walk never mind being a physical threat. You'd knock them over with a slap. Saw some fights but they seemed to be personal not just random attacks.

Never feared for my safety once up there. And I'm not a big fella or anything.

Not into scare mongering and all that nonsense but its not like desperate people throw a glove at your feet before declaring a fair fight for what they want. True many of the folks are harmless or hold no threat but there are plenty more who know exactly what they are doing.

I mean I get the not fearing for your safety part and don't think people should as it's not worth the brain power, but, i think avoiding an area know to be frequented by desperate people at night is just good street smarts. Its a lottery unfortunately, some get unlucky and others don't but those who attempt to avoid these areas are better off. I now avoid city streets at night unless I've some sort of transport or in a group. Of course I break his rule a lot and don't be fretting when I do but yeah, I think its naive to think that a city street is safe.

I don't think O'Connell street is as bad as many make it out to be, its no more dangerous at night than the majority of city streets, but like those other city streets there is a higher chance of it biting you in the arse and being close to drug rehabilitation clinics raises the chance of running into people who may be more willing to resort to violence etc. I posted a page or two back about the run in I had just off O'Connell street but I don't blame the street, or the individuals I blame myself for standing on an inner city street after 8 and frequently after 11pm almost every weeknight for just under a year, eventually something will happen if you're in that situation long enough.

Not directed at heckler in particular, I kinda ranted a bit to be honest. Also im probably just repeating what people have said in the thread a thousand times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Danonino. wrote: »
    Also im probably just repeating what people have said in the thread a thousand times.
    I told you a million times not to be exaggerating! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Heckler wrote: »
    Heard the stories about the scary junkies, when I saw them I laughed. These junkies could barely walk never mind being a physical threat.
    Do not underestimate their ability to turn, it could be your downfall

I worked security on an inner city methadone clinic for nearly 2 years, blades etc. can be produced & used very efficiently when push comes to shove

I've witnessed it first hand, docile to dangerous in the blink of an eye

Advertisement