Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

grease/fat stain on top

• 07-09-2014 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

ls there anyway l can remove this from my top?? l didnt notice the stain til after it was washed :( still there.....is there any chance of me getting it off?? Should l keep washing it til it comes out or just bring to a cleaners?

My top is 95% cotton.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just get some Persil Small & Mighty bio liquid.
    Fill a dosing ball and pour a tiny bit onto the stain directly from the ball. Rub it in using the bottom of the ball as a tool.

Put it into the washing machine along with the rest of the liquid in the ball.

Wait 5 Min (Max) then start the machine on a normal 40 degree wash.

A lot of the cheaper liquids except Aldi and Lidl are useless.

Try a normal color powder instead they're often way better.

The detergent pods are total gimmicks too. You're just adding dissolvable plastics to your machine, clothes and the environment for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Put a drop of washing up liquid on the stain. Leave it sit a minute and wash as normal.

This has worked for me removing liquid foundation, melted butter and hot sauce stains. (Not on the same top :P)

Good scoop of Ariel or Persil bio ... 40 degrees!
    Everything else is basically gimmicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

bnagrrl wrote: »
    Put a drop of washing up liquid on the stain. Leave it sit a minute and wash as normal.

This has worked for me removing liquid foundation, melted butter and hot sauce stains. (Not on the same top :P)

even after its already been washed??

Yup. I only learned this tip recently after getting liquid foundation all over a cream blouse that I'd washed a few times with no luck so tried it on other stuff and it's grand. I think it's the grease cutting properties in the washing up liquid that remove it.

• Advertisement

Basically, just pick a washing product with better grease cutting powers.

If you use something like say Persil Colour powder it has lipase (an enzyme that dissolves fats) and a very powerful mixture of different detergent components that break down fats and oils. Ariel and most other strong products should be similar.

If you use something less powerful, it may not shift it at all.

For colourful stains like make up and water-soluble paints and pasta sauces and all of that kind of stuff , normal biological washing powder will be far more likely to remove them. Powder contains a colour-safe peroxide based bleaching agent (it won't damage your clothes, but it will remove stains .. Just never use it with unfixed dyes as it'll also fade them).

Liquids and colour powders do not contain any bleaching agents. So, you don't get the same level of stain removal.

It's just basic chemistry and a bit of biochemistry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Basically, just pick a washing product with better grease cutting powers.

If you use something like say Persil Colour powder it has lipase (an enzyme that dissolves fats) and a very powerful mixture of different detergent components that break down fats and oils. Ariel and most other strong products should be similar.

Would something like Fairy Liquid work well, in that case?

Faith wrote: »
    Would something like Fairy Liquid work well, in that case?

Yeah, just don't put it in the washing machine unless you want to host a foam party in your kitchen!

I'd say put a small bit on the stain, wash it in the sink and rinse it out very well and then maybe run it through a very short wash in the machine to make sure it doesn't have any weird marks left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Baking powder , put top on a flat surface sprinkle a tea spoon onto the stain ,very gently rub in or I use a nail brush but be gentle and leave it 2 or 3 hours then brush off and repeat after that into a normal wash on it's own.
    This has never failed to get grease or other stains from my shirts or t shirts .

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Yeah, just don't put it in the washing machine unless you want to host a foam party in your kitchen!

I'd say put a small bit on the stain, wash it in the sink and rinse it out very well and then maybe run it through a very short wash in the machine to make sure it doesn't have any weird marks left.

I've put a drop on the stain, let it sit and washed in the machine as normal. Never any problems with the machine overflowing with suds. Unless you're squirting half a bottle in I can's see this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

get a brown paper bag, place over the stain and use a hot iron over the bag, should get most of the fat out.

That works for candle wax too.

thanks a mil guys for all the replies - lm kinda scared to pick the right one :rolleyes: really dont wanna mess this top up!! tempeted to try the fairy liquid ...

I'd try the Persil liquid as it's designed for that purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I find that rubbing in ordinary liquid handsoap works well at removing most stains, even washed in stains.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I find that rubbing in ordinary liquid handsoap works well at removing most stains, even washed in stains.

Have you tryed it for fat/grease stains? worried il try something and it might make it worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Plenty of times. If I have a top I like I seem to always get some kind of grease stain on it. I just dampen the area where the stain is with water. Rub the soap on to the damp area on the outside and the inside of the top. Gently rub it into the stain from both sides. Rinse the soap off. I just hold the stained area under the tap and run the water for a few seconds and then wash the top as normal in the washing machine.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Plenty of times. If I have a top I like I seem to always get some kind of grease stain on it. I just dampen the area where the stain is with water. Rub the soap on to the damp area on the outside and the inside of the top. Gently rub it into the stain from both sides. Rinse the soap off. I just hold the stained area under the tap and run the water for a few seconds and then wash the top as normal in the washing machine.

k might give that a go....you think it'll still be ok tho cause l already put it in the washing machine?? sorry just paranoid not to ruin this top any further:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

even after its already been washed??

This absolutely, no messing, worked for me about 3 weeks ago.

Washed a white top. It came out with the little oil stain on the front. Put a little bit of washing up liquid on it and rinsed it by hand.

Poof! Gone!

thanks guys, il report back !

• Advertisement

so put some washing up liquid on for 10min....threw in the wash, dried........stain gone :D:D:D:D thanks a mil for all who suggested the liquid :)

Advertisement