Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental care for poor

Options
  • 07-09-2014 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I think it would be a wonderful charity, if the dentists of Galway would give one day each ( there's enough dentists to go around ) per month, to, look after those on social welfare, to do their teeth for free. I just want them to take a moment to imagine how they would survive on less than 200 euro a week to cover ALL their needs. I suppose this is as a call to their consciences, to kick in, and operate on a 'need not greed' basis for ONE day per month, independent of the government - for no other reason other than it is the descent and right thing to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They run a business and in these times especially how could you expect them to run a free service.

If you need work done do what workers have to do and save as I can tell you for a fact I can hardly spare a few € at the end of the week after bills, rent, groceries and petrol etc....

MaryM9 wrote: »
    I think it would be a wonderful charity, if the dentists of Galway would give one day each ( there's enough dentists to go around ) per month, to, look after those on social welfare, to do their teeth for free. I just want them to take a moment to imagine how they would survive on less than 200 euro a week to cover ALL their needs. I suppose this is as a call to their consciences, to kick in, and operate on a 'need not greed' basis for ONE day per month, independent of the government - for no other reason other than it is the descent and right thing to do.

They are already entitled to 2 extractions and 2 fillings a year on their medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

They are already entitled to 2 extractions and 2 fillings a year on their medical cards.

4 fillings, unlimited extractions

We're both half right. It's 2 fillings and extractions as needed.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/2/dental/

Adults (over 16 years of age) who have a valid medical card can access a range of dental services and treatments under the Dental Treatment Service Scheme.

All medical card holders are entitled to specific dental treatments e.g., a dental examination, two fillings in each calendar year, extractions as necessary.

Some treatments such as the provision of dentures require the approval of the HSE before the dentist can proceed and in this case, the dentist applies directly to the HSE.

Additional treatments for example, teeth cleaning are available to those persons with specific medical conditions and again, your dentist will be able to advise you of your entitlement if this is the case. The HSE dental section may require written documentation outlining your medical condition and/or medications from your G.P. or other relevant medical person.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Charity is odious. If you believe there are unmet health needs, lobby your TD to have them addressed under the medical card scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 MaryM9

I was referring to work like implants to hold in bottom dentures for example ( I mean the raw materials cost a pittance - ) and it would help those poor who HAVE to wear bottom dentures and find them hard to keep in, or the person in pain who can't afford the 3rd. filling. W e'er all the same with the same desires, com'on guys -have a heart - literally. You never know, you might just save a soul - your own :)

They run a business and in these times especially how could you expect them to run a free service.

If you need work done do what workers have to do and save as I can tell you for a fact I can hardly spare a few € at the end of the week after bills, rent, groceries and petrol etc....

Lol - your funny : )

Charity is odious. If you believe there are unmet health needs, lobby your TD to have them addressed under the medical card scheme.

WRONG! Charity, is the greatest gift. Sorry you disapprove of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is this that mushroom lad again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

So how do you classify poor? I can't afford to go to the dentist even though I work, pay tax etc. No free fillings etc like they get on the social :-(

• Advertisement

But what if they need 3 or 4 or exploratory work? How long have you personally had to endure dental pain? What gives you the right to condemn others to it, just because they are poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

WRONG! Charity, is the greatest gift. Sorry you disapprove of it.

I approve of dentists being asked to do this. As long as every plumber, electrician, carpenter and barber etc is asked to do the same.

So how do you classify poor? I can't afford to go to the dentist even though I work, pay tax etc. No free fillings etc like they get on the social :-(

You have the option to get that 3rd. filling if you need it, some other bill can wait until next week, but if you are on less than 200 euro for ALL your needs, you have to live with the pain.
    I'm only purposing one day a month per dentist - there are so many dentists in Galway that it would probably work out at less days each.

I approve of dentists being asked to do this. As long as every plumber, electrician, carpenter and barber etc is asked to do the same.

WoW! Now your talking - what a wonderful idea : )

People TRYING to live on less than 200 euro a week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

200 euro a week for nothing? oh the poor souls. give up the drink or smoking and you'll have a lot more money to spend.
    people on social seem to have the best lives of us all.

You have the option to get that 3rd. filling if you need it, some other bill can wait until next week, but if you are on less than 200 euro for ALL your needs, you have to live with the pain.
    I'm only purposing one day a month per dentist - there are so many dentists in Galway that it would probably work out at less days each.

Surely if he can put a bill off then so can you, then you can pay for your work like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What a stupid and disfiguring policy. If you're going to have a dental service it shouldn't be limiting filings and should be trying to avoid extractions. They're hardly any more expensive than extractions and if done in time would avoid complicated problems.

When was this last updated? The dark ages?

RossieMan wrote: »
    200 euro a week for nothing? oh the poor souls. give up the drink or smoking and you'll have a lot more money to spend.
    people on social seem to have the best lives of us all.

Who are you to judge, some unemployed people are so dispirited by what life has handed to them ( job loss, not employed because of their address ect. they are emotionally broken some poor drink to drown out sadness and disappointment and loss. Unless you know what you are talking about you are just spouting HATE at the unfortunate. Some day it may just be you - even if that seems impossible at the moment - some unemployed people never thought they would see this day either!

Surely if he can put a bill off then so can you, then you can pay for your work like everyone else.

Did I for ONE MOMENT say I was talking about myself? Some of us are capable of thinking of the less well of, without being poor, whats wrong with you?

• Advertisement

And furthermore, what kind of person thinks, its all right to put someone into debt to get out of pain for what would be a couple minutes work - when they will suffer to pay it back - have you ever known want?????

• Registered Users Posts: 41 userofnames123

Two fillings and extractions as needed is not adequate and a lot of people living in homeless services will tell you this. Its a big problem.

Did I for ONE MOMENT say I was talking about myself? Some of us are capable of thinking of the less well of, without being poor, whats wrong with you?

I dislike the many tracksuit wearing types standing outside the dole office smoking, illegally parking cars and generally not looking for employment. Anyway this is a pointless rambling nonsensical thread which has nowt to do with Galway so im sure twil be locked soon.

I dislike the many tracksuit wearing types standing outside the dole office smoking, illegally parking cars and generally not looking for employment. Anyway this is a pointless rambling nonsensical thread which has nowt to do with Galway so im sure twil be locked soon.

Wow! so you judge the book by the cover then? Aww REALLY poor you: )

As for Galway, if you look, it was a suggestion for GALWAY dentists - well one has to start someplace

Wow! so you judge the book by the cover then? Aww REALLY poor you: )

Yep i love to judge, gets me through my days, dont have time for bleeding heart do gooders who simply enable the wastage in the social welfare system.

People TRYING to live on less than 200 euro a week

Plus rent allowance, plus fuel allowance, plus medical card. In some cases mortgage relief. Admittedly there are some, especially newly unemployed who won't qualify for all the above. There are also some on minimum wage jobs that would love to have €198 a week to live off.

Yep i love to judge, gets me through my days, dont have time for bleeding heart do gooders who simply enable the wastage in the social welfare system.
    Yes sir, lets watch those pennies for the gov. What matter human suffering, you think they are a waste - remember as you judge....... and all that : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Yes sir, lets watch those pennies for the gov. What matter human suffering, you think they are a waste - remember as you judge....... and all that : )

Hi Mary, I believe your efforts would be better spent on demanding a better service from the state. Not least because we all pay for it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

But... they might not be able to afford to lose that much money. It's not all about "greed", they have to pay for the upkeep of their business. They worked very hard to get where they are, bit bitter to be pissed off at their success.
    I was referring to work like implants to hold in bottom dentures for example ( I mean the raw materials cost a pittance - ) and it would help those poor who HAVE to wear bottom dentures and find them hard to keep in, or the person in pain who can't afford the 3rd. filling. W e'er all the same with the same desires, com'on guys -have a heart - literally. You never know, you might just save a soul - your own :)
    What are you doing to save your soul?

Advertisement