Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA conspire to keep Hurling Final in crappovision!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

JeffKenna wrote: »
    You're talking about an era where all matches sold out or came close to selling out. Therefore they could get their replays from them and keep the conspiracy 'under the radar' by not drawing attention to it by constantly replaying finals.

Are you saying attendances were higher in the 50 years prior to the 2012?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sitec wrote: »
    Why is RTE One not in HD on Sky anyway?

Was supppsed to be coming this year at some point but no sign as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

h2005 wrote: »
    Are you saying attendances were higher in the 50 years prior to the 2012?

At provincial level yes definitely. The days of drawing 30, 40 or 50k people for a first round match are long long (bar Dublin maybe).

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Funnily enough, in most rugby matches, draws are priced in the 20's.

A game with less frequent scoring opportunities, and there is less than half the chance of the match ending up tied.

Are we to believe that GAA matches are uniquely evenly matched affairs?

Nope, far to convenient that the result which most suits the GAA, is the one which ends up occurring so often.

It's a game of gerrymandered results.

This is interesting and its got me thinking.....
    You're observation on the odds for draws appears to be correct. However, I'd offer a far more mathematical reason for the difference (And let's face it... Paddy power & co. are pretty **** hot at maths).

The likelihood of a draw in any game is influenced by the number of different score types that exist in that game. In gaa there are 2 - a goal or a point. Rugby has 3 - try, conversion, penalty. So, hypothetically, if you were to look at any particular gaa game and you knew the number if scores each team got (the number of scores only, not the type), you coulkd work out the odds that that score count would give a draw as a result. If you did the same for rugby, with the same number of scores, you would find the odds of obtaining a draw had lengthened. So draws in gaa are just more likely, in a situation where each team obtains the same number of scores.

I would guess this type of calculation plays a big role in bookies calculation of the odds. Of course there are lots of other factors at play, but this must play a role.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I watched the hurling in hd on saorview, which covers 98% of the 26 county population, so I cant see the op's issue.

All my life refs have played for a draw in a close game, in football and hurling, sometimes when even the mentors on the loosing team believe the game is beyond them....

This goes from underage league matches up to the top games. And it's right. let the players take pause and go at it again next week (or whenever)
    Because a sport is about the players, and letting them play and enjoy the game. For too long football and hurling was based on a scheme where half the teams had one meaningful game a year. If that one game was going to mean the players had no game of substance for the rest of the year, then there's an implicit pressure on the ref to play for the draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Nobody seems to have really addressed the OP.

Yes the hurling final was moved as the football match was on RTE 2.

The reason for this is pretty obvious.

The football match had a 5.00 kick-Off (maybe 5.30,can't remember)

The Six-One news is on RTE 1 at 6.01 (open to correction on this).

Therefore the football couldn't be shown on RTE 1 as it would be on the same time as the news.

The hurling match was over before the news.

It's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

JeffKenna wrote: »
    This year was blown up as a draw despite no additional time being played. The free was given at 69 minutes yet by the time it was taken the ref blew up. No one can prove this but I firmly believe had the free gone over more time would have been given to equalise.

Last year Clare were given the opportunity to equalise when time was well up. Cork should have won by a point.

The year before Galway received quite a soft free which joe canning stuck over at the puck of the game.

Exactly right.

It's driven by a combination of greed in terms of securing the additional revenue that a replay generates, along with an 'ah, shur let them at it again' attitude , for example
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    They are amateurs.
    They all probsbly have jobs to go back to tomorrow.
    They deserve another day to get the win.

You don't even need to do any major research to see that this is true - the bookies will have done the hard work for you. Just log into an online gambling site and compare the odds for a drawn match between GAA and any other comparable sport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

seriously, are people honestly saying that there is a conspiracy out there between referees and the hierarchy in the GAA to make more money on replays?

How is this thread even still going?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Nobody seems to have really addressed the OP.

Yes the hurling final was moved as the football match was on RTE 2.

The reason for this is pretty obvious.

The football match had a 5.00 kick-Off (maybe 5.30,can't remember)

The Six-One news is on RTE 1 at 6.01 (open to correction on this).

Therefore the football couldn't be shown on RTE 1 as it would be on the same time as the news.

The hurling match was over before the news.

It's that simple.

That's basically it. Six One is essentially immovable, except on Christmas Day, and it was that together with the respective kick off times that dictated RTE's schedule. Likely as not the GAA weren't even consulted never mind to blame.

bruschi wrote: »
    seriously, are people honestly saying that there is a conspiracy out there between referees and the hierarchy in the GAA to make more money on replays?

Not just saying it - proving it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Not just saying it - proving it.

please do, thanks. I'd be interested in seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

bruschi wrote: »

How is this thread even still going?

Totally agree with you this whole thread smacks of begrudery and conspiracy theories that even jim corr would be proud of. In fact i hope the replay is a draw as well to really drive these gaa bashers into overdrive .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Sitec wrote: »
    Why is RTE One not in HD on Sky anyway?

Because Sky haven't paid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Exactly right.

You don't even need to do any major research to see that this is true - the bookies will have done the hard work for you. Just log into an online gambling site and compare the odds for a drawn match between GAA and any other comparable sport.

Point me to a comparable sport so I can do the comparison. The odds on a draw in soccer are short. But if a game arrives at 90 minutes 1-0 what are the odds that it will be in draw in say 2 minutes of extra time. Much longer than when the games started. Whereas if a game of hurling arrives at 2-13 to 2-12 at 70 minutes what are the odds that it will be a draw. Much shorter than when the game started. Why did the ref not give two penalties to Dublin against Donegal to try to make it a draw? That is a game the money men would have wanted to replay. And conversely why did the ref not play on to get a winner in the first Kerry Mayo game. That is a game the money men certainly did not want to replay.

Also your theory does not explain the number of games which finish up with only one point between the sides. That scenario gives the ref the perfect opportunity to play on for as long as it takes until it is a draw. Or he should have blown it up early before a late score produced a winner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Mod: Am keeping the thread open for the time being. Calling people trolls is not on and will result in infractions from here on in. Keep it civil.

Point me to a comparable sport so I can do the comparison. The odds on a draw in soccer are short. But if a game arrives at 90 minutes 1-0 what are the odds that it will be in draw in say 2 minutes of extra time. Much longer than when the games started. Whereas if a game of hurling arrives at 2-13 to 2-12 at 70 minutes what are the odds that it will be a draw. Much shorter than when the game started. Why did the ref not give two penalties to Dublin against Donegal to try to make it a draw? That is a game the money men would have wanted to replay. And conversely why did the ref not play on to get a winner in the first Kerry Mayo game. That is a game the money men certainly did not want to replay.

Also your theory does not explain the number of games which finish up with only one point between the sides. That scenario gives the ref the perfect opportunity to play on for as long as it takes until it is a draw. Or he should have blown it up early before a late score produced a winner.

I'm afraid if you're going to point to individual games to try to refute the facts I have presented then your sample size is going to be woefully inadequate to draw(;)) any kind of conlusions .

Mod: Change your posting style or you will be taking some time off from the GAA Forum and less of the rolleyes and winking please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Locking Thread after discussing with other mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement