Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One "must see/do" thing in NYC?

Options
  • 07-09-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Heading over with someone who's never been. I've pretty much seen everything I want to but what's one thing you'd recommend to see or do to someone visiting for the first time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Brooklyn Bridge walk across to Manhattan is one of my favourite things to do. Usually get the Subway to Brooklyn, have pizza in Grimaldis by the bridge and walk some of it off as we got across the bridge. It's most spectacular at dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

You will have some line (queue) for pizza at Gramaldis

Times Square - slack up the atmosphere
    Go see a show - Matilda or http://www.broadway.com
    Ground Zero
    Statue Of Liberty
    Night Tour by bus

To stick with OP question - Times Square

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

athtrasna wrote: »
    The Brooklyn Bridge walk across to Manhattan is one of my favourite things to do. Usually get the Subway to Brooklyn, have pizza in Grimaldis by the bridge and walk some of it off as we got across the bridge. It's most spectacular at dusk.

The bridge is been worked on at the moment and they have barriers up coving the view from the photos I have seen lately. They could be done with the work by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Enright wrote: »
    You will have some line (queue) for pizza at Gramaldis

It's a fake line though. Every time I've been there (10+) I've had to queue. Get in and there are loads of empty tables. I guess if there wasn't a line people would think it wasn't as popular as it always was. Anyway it's worth the wait IMO. One thing to note is it's cash only.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭fiverfriday

Do the 9-11 memorial. Well worth the ques.

• Advertisement

For me it has to be "Top of the Rock".
    My favourite views of the city ( especially of central park and the Empire State Building)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

My favourite views of the city ( especially of central park and the Empire State Building)

I agree with this one. If you go all the up to the third viewing platform there isn't even any glass to get in the way of your pics.

It's also spectacular at dusk and at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

My 2 favorites have been covered......what about the Staten Island Ferry or a trip to McSorleys Old Ale House (it has a real Gangs of New York feel)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Agreed.

If you could only do one thing that would be it. There can be long queues though and when its cold its really really really cold up there.

When I fly back and forth between Ireland Seattle, I usually stop off in ny and take the bus in to Manhattan, have lunch at the restaurant connected to the new york public Library in Bryant Park and then head back to the airport for me connecting flight.

By the way, there's great public loos in the Library. NEVER try and use the ones in Grand Central Station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Agreed.

If you could only do one thing that would be it. There can be long queues though and when its cold its really really really cold up there.

When I fly back and forth between Ireland Seattle, I usually stop off in ny and take the bus in to Manhattan, have lunch at the restaurant connected to the new york public Library in Bryant Park and then head back to the airport for me connecting flight.

By the way, there's great public loos in the Library. NEVER try and use the ones in Grand Central Station.

I used the ones in Grand Central Terminal just last week, they were fine? Was I missing something ha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's a fake line though. Every time I've been there (10+) I've had to queue. Get in and there are loads of empty tables. I guess if there wasn't a line people would think it wasn't as popular as it always was. Anyway it's worth the wait IMO. One thing to note is it's cash only.

Juliana's next door has arguably better pizza and shorter line

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I used the ones in Grand Central Terminal just last week, they were fine? Was I missing something ha?

Ha. My gf's experience wasnt so good. She's still traumatized.

:eek:

And it will always be Grand Central Station to me.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Walk the High Line. [Old elevated railway line transformed into long, narrow, high-up linear park]

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Have a steak at PJ Clarkes....I am hungry just thinking about it, delicious. Careful there are three of them and you must eat in the original on 3rd ave (55th I think). It is real old school inside with the chequered red and white tablecloths and old style jukebox. Jackie Kennedy used to bring the kids there and people like Sinatra used to be a regular.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Ha. My gf's experience wasnt so good. She's still traumatized.

:eek:

And it will always be Grand Central Station to me.

:)

It hasn't been called that in 101 years though :P. If you're over 101 then props to you :D.

It hasn't been called that in 101 years though :P. If you're over 101 then props to you :D.

Oh absolutely, I know. There's a classic novel by Elizabeth Smart written in 1945 that was my old mums favorite called "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept" .
    I also doubt there's many New Yorkers who would misunderstand you if you used "station":

"
    Although the terminal has been properly called “Grand Central Terminal” since 1913, it has "always been more colloquially and affectionately known as Grand Central Station", the name of the previous rail station on the same site, and of the U.S. Post Office station next door, which is not part of the terminal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Central_Terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I've always known it as Grand Central Station too, I guess that's what everyone calls it.

I've always known it as Grand Central Station too, I guess that's what everyone calls it.

Not "everyone", and it's incorrect, irregardless of what people call it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Not "everyone", and it's incorrect, irregardless of what people call it.

From Wikipedia:
    Irregardless
    Irregardless is a word commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since the early twentieth century, though the word appeared in print as early as 1795. Most dictionaries list it as "nonstandard" or "incorrect" usage, and recommend that "regardless" should be used instead.

It's "station" to me, "regardless" of what people call it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Hummm ... to me it is simply "Grand Central" - until reading this I had never considered the final word. I think station as "Terminal" suggests the Port Authority to me.

My vote: Ellis Island - take he audio tour.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Hummm ... to me it is simply "Grand Central" - until reading this I had never considered the final word. I think station as "Terminal" suggests the Port Authority to me.

My vote: Ellis Island - take he audio tour.

I actually think that's how I generally refer to it.

This thread has indulged my pedantry :D.

Advertisement