Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Tarot cow domino stock bull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

A few heifers I like
    Calves settling into their routine

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MF290

Not farming exactly but a great video. Not too far from me.

A beautiful sight..... Not when they come into the yard and coat the meal shed, feed troughs, roofs and machinery in a layer of sh*t

Had a good run of it but had been waiting for a whopper to come had 4 of these with a new bull last that broke my balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

A few heifers I like

No straw on the woodchip? Do you replace it often?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A few heifers I like

Would 4602 be the pick of the bunch? She has the shape to be the best suckler cow anyway.:rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Had a good run of it but had been waiting for a whopper to come had 4 of these with a new bull last that broke my balls.

Fine calf. What's the breeding? You prob already mentioned somewhere else!

Thst bull is Hermes. Call it as it is it's brainless having a bull throwing calves like that. This is his second year do
    RobinBanks wrote: »
    Fine calf. What's the breeding? You prob already mentioned somewhere else!

Jalex Open Day;
    Scary how this pops up for me when I open YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Csq bull calf yesterday out of rhi cow. She wasn't long calving him , only about 2 hours sick. We heard a bit of roaring from lambing shed so thought she had calved but when we got up he was only half out and was hanging from her. Got him out when auld lad stuck his hands either side of him and freed him up. How long would he have lasted hanging like that from a the cow? Happy he's alive tbh
    410021.jpg
    410022.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Csq bull calf yesterday out of rhi cow. She wasn't long calving him , only about 2 hours sick. We heard a bit of roaring from lambing shed so thought she had calved but when we got up he was only half out and was hanging from her. Got him out when auld lad stuck his hands either side of him and freed him up. How long would he have lasted hanging like that from a the cow? Happy he's alive tbh

Did he have to pull the calf at all or just massage a bit either side of the calf? If it's the latter then gravity normally does the job eventually or when the cow realises she's not calved yet and lies down. Have seen a calf hanging out like that and roaring and the cow kept spinning round to try and lick it, fecking eejit :pac:

Did he have to pull the calf at all or just massage a bit either side of the calf? If it's the latter then gravity normally does the job eventually or when the cow realises she's not calved yet and lies down. Have seen a calf hanging out like that and roaring and the cow kept spinning round to try and lick it, fecking eejit :pac:

I was pulling down while he done that.

I was pulling down while he done that.

With just ropes? If there's no jack to be used I'd say he'd have come out himself. If you ever watch a cow calving herself she could be ten mins or more at the hips if the calf is large enough.

With just ropes? If there's no jack to be used I'd say he'd have come out himself. If you ever watch a cow calving herself she could be ten mins or more at the hips if the calf is large enough.

No ropes. Kinda oaniced when we seen him like that

No ropes. Kinda oaniced when we seen him like that

Ah he'd have come himself! Used to panic myself like that but you get a bit laid back with time. I'd only panic if the cow hadn't been seen in a few hours or the tongue was swollen when I found him.

The vet at that calving demo in Ennis Mart said the calf would live all day if caught at the hips, provided it wasn't been pulled. If was the pulling by the jack or whatever that stopped it breathing. I've lost calves before when they were caught at the hips. Once the roaring started it was panic time. Jazus, you learn the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The vet at that calving demo in Ennis Mart said the calf would live all day if caught at the hips, provided it wasn't been pulled. If was the pulling by the jack or whatever that stopped it breathing. I've lost calves before when they were caught at the hips. Once the roaring started it was panic time. Jazus, you learn the hard way.

Ya there's nothing worse, came very close to loosing one the same way last year with a springer. We rolled her up on her back for a finish and got him out after what seemed like a half an hour of being completely locked on the hips. Lucky calf and springer to both be alive after it. I wouldn't fancy the odds on the same outcome if I was in the same situation again.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Happened me last night, calf half way out and beginning to roar, cow spun around a few times and out he popped. would make you panic for a second when you hear the calf roaring!
    you learn to not dive in straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I'd agree with that but when the calf is bawling it's hard to do nothing.... I'd be worried the cow would throw out the calving bed if the calf was stuck there for a while and she pushing hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The vet at that calving demo in Ennis Mart said the calf would live all day if caught at the hips, provided it wasn't been pulled. If was the pulling by the jack or whatever that stopped it breathing.

Did he recommend any particular course of action? I'd always try change the angle of leverage a bit or roll the heifer or at least try and move the legs. If she's giving a hand herself at this point I'd pause and hope the heifer herself might just shift that mm or two to make progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Pidae.m wrote: »

Much trouble calving ?. Decent calf. Is there blue blood in the mammy.

Did he recommend any particular course of action? I'd always try change the angle of leverage a bit or roll the heifer or at least try and move the legs. If she's giving a hand herself at this point I'd pause and hope the heifer herself might just shift that mm or two to make progress.

Here's the video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buMbO0FSbq8&list=PL56C4B64B4D98EFF6&index=6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Munching on their supper after coming in for the day.

2017_02_23_15.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Thanks for that. I have her cast to the new TV here. Great job, much better than trying to view it on the phone.

Kind of a labour saving thing here.

Two feeder barriers I bought this year. Made by Watsons.
    Lift them in and out with the pallet forks when I clean out the shed.
    I am using them for the yearling heifers.
    I put half a bale on one side of the trough and half in the other.
    They are heavy enough that the heifers can't push them out and they keep the silage up off the ground and it does away with spronging in silage as they can get it all.
    Not sure how long they'll last but i'll powerwash them and oil them when the heifers go out full time.
    I had to get these specially made to 13ft as the standard size is 15ft.
    Cost e900.

2017_02_24_15.jpg

Inked2017_02_24_15.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Very handy. How did you get it in with the water trough?

Very handy. How did you get it in with the water trough?

Awkwardly with the loader.:D

That water trough should be taken off as it's not used and it was only there for when the shed was in stables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

If he has to cart the calf about now, what hope will the calf have when it gets bigger to get around?

I dunno, maybe the calf will come good, but it seems a savage disability for an animal to have...

You'd wonder if the kindest thing would have been to do a job on the calf when twas born...

But, sometimes animals surprise you, and it's very easy to talk when it's not you have to make that kinda decision too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

If he has to cart the calf about now, what hope will the calf have when it gets bigger to get around?

I dunno, maybe the calf will come good, but it seems a savage disability for an animal to have...

You'd wonder if the kindest thing would have been to do a job on the calf when twas born...

But, sometimes animals surprise you, and it's very easy to talk when it's not you have to make that kinda decision too...
    had one here years ago, got him to two year old but he just went downhill after that.had to be factoried and didnt come into much. hips and everything wil start to go after a while.

Advertisement