Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bullocks wrote: »
    The quad driver must have no fear anyhow , I wouldnt fancy driving that fast through that terrain on a quad

Jaysus I'd do that all day long. Reminds me of chad
    Chad who? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Chad who? ;)

Of the ignorance of the great unwashed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Of the ignorance of the great unwashed

Holy cow

We almost went there for a job once
    Coulda met ya in another life

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Holy cow

We almost went there for a job once
    Coulda met ya in another life

What job? Private contractor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Two sets of twin heifers I swapped last year for a cow and calf with the girlfriends father. The auld fella has an awful gra for the two whiteheads.

• Advertisement

A few of my own yearling heifers from the business end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Tvr bull 8 weeks
    411577.jpg

BBQ bull 9weeks 411578.jpg

Lzf pb bull 4 and a bit months
    411579.JPG

A bit of this going on here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

You'd be as well off planting it like the neighbours did :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Nice to see that work being done.
    Drains can never be deep enough.

Any plans for the rest of the field or will you leave it at that?

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Nice to see that work being done.
    Drains can never be deep enough.

Any plans for the rest of the field or will you leave it at that?

There's 4 dry acres on a hill but 3 acres between it and the drain that's swimming, I'll try mole ploughing it in the summer and see how it works. Moneys tight enough so that'll be it for this year, hope to do a bit more with it next year all going well.

There's 4 dry acres on a hill but 3 acres between it and the drain that's swimming, I'll try mole ploughing it in the summer and see how it works. Moneys tight enough so that'll be it for this year, hope to do a bit more with it next year all going well.

Here's some of the the hill behind it, couldn't really access with a tractor before because the trenches were closed and the valley was so wet, should be easy enough to tidy it up.

Just to prove that Wexford is not part of the Gobi Desert.
    Here's a pic of a wet spot I encountered today.:mad:

2017_03_23_16.jpg

But Stone the Crows this shouldn't be here as the field was stone and drained years ago. So I followed the water and it was coming up out of the ground.
    Hmm must be a drain blocked.:rolleyes:
    2017_03_23_16.jpg

And sure enough here is the culprit. Only a trickle coming through.
    2017_03_23_16.jpg

Now what?
    Better rod the drain to see if there's anything interesting in the drain.
    Nope only roots.:o
    2017_03_23_16.jpg

God there's a lot of roots.:eek:
    2017_03_23_17.jpg

Now we're back in business. Irish Water need not worry i'm back supplying.
    2017_03_23_17.jpg

:):)

2017_03_23_16.jpg

But Stone the Crows this shouldn't be here as the field was stone and drained years ago. So I followed the water and it was coming up out of the ground.
    Hmm must be a drain blocked.:rolleyes:
    2017_03_23_16.jpg

And sure enough here is the culprit. Only a trickle coming through.
    2017_03_23_16.jpg

Now what?
    Better rod the drain to see if there's anything interesting in the drain.
    Nope only roots.:o
    2017_03_23_16.jpg

God there's a lot of roots.:eek:
    2017_03_23_17.jpg

Now we're back in business. Irish Water need not worry i'm back supplying.
    2017_03_23_17.jpg

That's like a bloody advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That's like a bloody advertisement
    For sewage rods.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Doing a small run of a fence today and had to put up an end straining post. Met this on the way down.

No pic

Doing a small run of a fence today and had to put up an end straining post. Met this on the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

No no no, you're doing it wrong. Dig up!

Was fencing today myself, tightened it at first by pulling it taut on the quad at the far post, it sorta worked :D

No pic
    Sorted, bloody phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Had one similar not too long ago. Not fun having to lift it up from 3ft under your feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭limo_100

[

How far up the pipes did you have to get the rods out?? I have the same problem all over the place? I wonder could I buy one of them heads for a half inch water pipe?

limo_100 wrote: »
    How far up the pipes did you have to get the rods out?? I have the same problem all over the place? I wonder could I buy one of them heads for a half inch water pipe?

It took about six rods to get at the blockage (roots). So about 18ft long I think?
    For anyone doing drainage put in a 20ft solid pipe at the end.
    I think there was a bit cut off this one and it only was 10 to 15 ft.
    The roots must be coming from gorse bushes on the bank and growing into the corrie pipe.
    I couldn't tell you about the half inch pipe.
    I don't think it would work as the idea for that head is to twist the rods around to grip onto the roots (like twisting a fork when eating pasta) and then pulling it all out.

I think it would be hard to successfully twist wavin pipe and even then ensuring the head stays on when pulling out.:rolleyes:

I think the only job for you may be those drain cleaners with a powerwasher head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭limo_100

It took about six rods to get at the blockage (roots). So about 18ft long I think?
    For anyone doing drainage put in a 20ft solid pipe at the end.
    I think there was a bit cut off this one and it only was 10 to 15 ft.
    The roots must be coming from gorse bushes on the bank and growing into the corrie pipe.
    I couldn't tell you about the half inch pipe.
    I don't think it would work as the idea for that head is to twist the rods around to grip onto the roots (like twisting a fork when eating pasta) and then pulling it all out.

I think it would be hard to successfully twist wavin pipe and even then ensuring the head stays on when pulling out.:rolleyes:

I think the only job for you may be those drain cleaners with a powerwasher head.
    Wel my pipes are blocked out in the field no where near bushes I woulder what would block them out there?? Them powerwasher drain cleaners it would prob be cheaper to redrain it

limo_100 wrote: »
    Wel my pipes are blocked out in the field no where near bushes I woulder what would block them out there?? Them powerwasher drain cleaners it would prob be cheaper to redrain it

It's probably just silt and dirt blocking them or if the drains are not deep enough down the pipes may have collapsed.
    You're going to have to try and rod them anyway. Get a few packs of rods and see can you do anything.

It's no good to you now but the deeper the pipes the more it will lower the water table and then have all pipes coming out in the one outlet into the open drain. That way there's always water flowing in the pipes and shouldn't silt up. Then make sure there's a fall the whole way on the pipes that there's no dips in the pipes to cause a blockage. Also have the pipes going parallel to the open drain with spurs off it to collect the maximum amount of groundwater.
    I think that's about all.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Limox heifer with newborn Limox heifer. ~40kgs birth weight. Very pleased. It was quite stressfull to wait for her calving. Her dam is a big Angusx cow. Her 1st Angusx calf was 54kgs weight, 2nd calf was this heifer at ~45kgs, the 3rd calf was 70kgs bull calf and this year she had 51kgs bull calf. The last three calves are full siblings. Glad that atleast the 1st heifer's calf is normal size. She calved herself pretty quickly.
    17521812_1903566403247701_1270692895_o_zps2nrb7bjw.jpg
    17521896_1903565009914507_1063580640_o_zpsm6pvxi0i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I couldn't get a pic of the full shed as I would have needed a ladder at one end to take the pic. Eight pens of 9 and two pens one of 7 and the other 8. Most of these are for weaning on Friday/Saturday. Will move them to another shed (hopefully it's ready on time) with access to the pad after a few days of settling in.
    Hopefully if the weather is kind I can get the younger calves in the old byre weaned and out to the house paddock in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Grueller

Few photos of spring calves. All after our own blue stock bull. All from 5 -8 weeks old. Blue calf is out of a blue cow (photo 5). Friesian marked guy is out of a 1st Cross black limo. Two blacks are from a blonde Cross and a parthenaise Cross (suckling). Grey fellow is out of a mousey coloured blonde Cross cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

You should enter the guy in photo 5 into the mr universe competition!
    Grueller wrote: »
    Few photos of spring calves. All after our own blue stock bull. All from 5 -8 weeks old. Blue calf is out of a blue cow. Friesian marked guy is out of a 1st Cross black limo. Two blacks are from a blonde Cross and a parthenaise Cross. Grey fellow is out of a mousey coloured blonde Cross cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Grueller

Photo 1
    Blue calf 2 weeks old today after stock bull out of a 2nd Cross limousin twin heifer.
    Photo 2
    Blue calf 1 week old after stock bull from the other twin heifer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

A Ross ALO blue out of a lim cow at 2 days.

Advertisement