Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

^^Had the same with an animal this year, was puzzled until I seen a calf in the next pen taking a fair few slugs when she was eating at the barrier!

Was burning shíte from the front of the barrier this morning (dry silage, fussy fcuker won't eat it)
    Maxy has no fight or flight reaction to fire anyway, though she gives a good ''The fcuk are you burning food for'' look :pac:

Wr9DFQSl.jpg

She's not a Malibu cow is she by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Grass emissions.
    Emitting too much oxygen.
    Bad grass. Bad bad bad grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

^^Had the same with an animal this year, was puzzled until I seen a calf in the next pen taking a fair few slugs when she was eating at the barrier!

Was burning shíte from the front of the barrier this morning (dry silage, fussy fcuker won't eat it)
    Maxy has no fight or flight reaction to fire anyway, though she gives a good ''The fcuk are you burning food for'' look :pac:

Wr9DFQSl.jpg

lovely looking animal

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Grass emissions.
    Emitting too much oxygen.
    Bad grass. Bad bad bad grass.

Wouldn't I love to be strip grazing that.
    Closed for silage I take it?

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Wouldn't I love to be strip grazing that.
    Closed for silage I take it?

Yep.
    Heifers off it last week.
    Hardly know they were on it.
    Hope to cut first week of June.
    It will be after producing a lot of oxygen by then.;)

• Advertisement

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Yep.
    Heifers off it last week.
    Hardly know they were on it.
    Hope to cut first week of June.
    It will be after producing a lot of oxygen by then.;)

Heifers or a heifer! There's some grass there already.
    And here's me short of grass.

Heifers or a heifer! There's some grass there already.
    And here's me short of grass.

13 heifers on 11 acres in three fields for 3 weeks with the run of the 3 fields.
    They never really touched that field though.
    Turned them inside out though.
    It got a bag of 27.2.5.5 and 2000 gallons of slurry in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

She's not a Malibu cow is she by any chance?

No she's PTI, Bova Pontium I think he was?
    RD10 wrote: »
    lovely looking animal

Will be a sad day when she goes, that cow almost knows what we're thinking, leader cow too and is a dream for following a bucket. She's an 06 animal and has delivered almost every single calf between 400 & 465kg at weaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Will be a sad day when she goes, that cow almost knows what we're thinking, leader cow too and is a dream for following a bucket. She's an 06 animal and has delivered almost every single calf between 400 & 465kg at weaning.

They're always a useful animal to have round the place

Thats funny. ive a pti cow here myself that aborted and unfortunately will have to go this year.
    same as that, a dream to work with, will wander around and up the crush herself and stick thr head out. have to stop her from going up most of the time! nothing fazes her!
    nice animals!

• Advertisement

They're always a useful animal to have round the place

Had two but had to sell one earlier, have a heifer out of this cow acting the same so hopefully will produce a live calf next month!
    Thats funny. ive a pti cow here myself that aborted and unfortunately will have to go this year.
    same as that, a dream to work with, will wander around and up the crush herself and stick thr head out. have to stop her from going up most of the time! nothing fazes her!
    nice animals!

Yea wish I had more of them, great all rounder cattle.

Had two but had to sell one earlier, have a heifer out of this cow acting the same so hopefully will produce a live calf next month!

Yea wish I had more of them, great all rounder cattle.

if i could get this thing to work i'd stick up a picture!

if i could get this thing to work i'd stick up a picture!
    Do! Be interesting to see if they look alike. Is yours small? If you look back up the thread this is the cow that had the Carrickbrack Hutch heifer this year so another keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

A few of this years keepers hopefully. First picture is a short horn out of a pb sim heifer. By DJM, I really like her. Quite and very good shape. The two sim heifers are out of stock bulls, really looking forward too these hopefully calving down spring 2019.

Another djm shorthorn out of a pb sim. Lighter on bone but nice. Undecided on her I'll give her time and see.

Sim dam and a highlander stock Bull. Might make a good cow some day.

Do! Be interesting to see if they look alike. Is yours small? If you look back up the thread this is the cow that had the Carrickbrack Hutch heifer this year so another keeper.

she's a nice size. something like yours there now. she has a smaller type head in her! would nearly talk to you.

A few of this years keepers hopefully. First picture is a short horn out of a pb sim heifer. By DJM, I really like her. Quite and very good shape. The two sim heifers are out of stock bulls, really looking forward too these hopefully calving down spring 2019.

il buy that first heifer off ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Lovely stock. 201 is a peach

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I prefer 200.:cool: Lovely stock. Heard it somewhere recently that you should breed for heifers and the bulls will take care of themselves.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

I prefer 200.:cool: Lovely stock. Heard it somewhere recently that you should breed for heifers and the bulls will take care of themselves.

Kind of what I'm trying to do but it's a long road to get there.
    She's my favourite too. Her dam is my best cow. Quiet, loads of milk, and a dinger to back in calf. She's just gone 4 and that's her fourth calf (twins last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

this may not be correct place for this , but here goes had 2yr old calved last week , but now she started sucking the bull calfs pee and has given him a swollen naval as result, apart from stand beside her and kicking her jaw as she tries it, have youz any remedy. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

sandydan wrote: »
    this may not be correct place for this , but here goes had 2yr old calved last week , but now she started sucking the bull calfs pee and has given him a swollen naval as result, apart from stand beside her and kicking her jaw as she tries it, have youz any remedy. thanks

Giving her a mineral dose would be the quickest solution, she's deficient in something.

Get a salt lick in the coop, she's after the salt in the piss.

Giving her a mineral dose would be the quickest solution, she's deficient in something.

It's salt (sodium) when they start at that crack. Afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

thanks for that , guy in coop also said salt lick, so i put it in feed trough and she licked it. but still tries to lick calf's navel, so i wrapped a coal bag round him for last few days while sucking and took him away from her after, bit of nuisance but....
    some one else suggested dosing her with liquid mineral as well. as he had actually fed salt to cows which had been drinking each others urine and he claimed it worsened situation to such an extent that they wouldnt drink water in troughs, only urine and he sent 2 to factory, as they got thin as well, i think there must have been an another issue as well.

Heifers bull calf a month old vs her 2nd calver sisters bull at a couple of days!

8SDIDzel.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

One is eating silage already in fairness :)
    Heifers bull calf a month old vs her 2nd calver sisters bull at a couple of days!

8SDIDzel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Pidae.m wrote: »
    One is eating silage already in fairness :)
    I was thinking the same. Next year he will be able to reach it.:D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

The joys of grazing bulls

Advertisement