Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Saw this today near Carrauntoohil. Poorish land being reclaimed. It looked like they were mixing up the peaty top soil with the more solid subsoil.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Saw this today near Carrauntoohil. Poorish land being reclaimed. It looked like they were mixing up the peaty top soil with the more solid subsoil.

Some stones there!:eek:
    You wouldn't pick them by hand.
    There was actually a poster on here a few months ago looking for a digger driver to do just that. Mix peat with the subsoil.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    There was actually a poster on here a few months ago looking for a digger driver to do just that. Mix peat with the subsoil.

Covered in stones but if you look at the field on the left in the first pic, that's the result. Those green fields looked like an oasis with all the poor land around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

pedigree 6 wrote: »

surely subsoil will always separate and go back to being sub soil, even on a small scale i used to reseed for a neighbour, plough it for corn to level it and the folowing year for grass The land would plough up two layers of different colours, lack and peat, it'd be mixed into a lovely color with the cultivation and the following year it'd plough up two colours again

rangler1 wrote: »
    surely subsoil will always separate and go back to being sub soil, even on a small scale i used to reseed for a neighbour, plough it for corn to level it and the folowing year for grass The land would plough up two layers of different colours, lack and peat, it'd be mixed into a lovely color with the cultivation and the following year it'd plough up two colours again

I'm not sure as I've no experience of it down here.
    I know out in NZ they really bury the peat down deep when they're reclaiming land.
    Probably depends on what kind of subsoil you have.
    There could be another thing maybe! You know in another thread carbon was being discussed. Well the peat is stored carbon in an anaerobic environment and when it's exposed to the air it turns back to carbon dioxide. This sounds off the wall I know but the field level could have been dropping every year and you were just hitting a fresh bit of subsoil again every time.

(I think I may have a lie down).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭roosterman71

@Reggie - did I see your sparkling clean Landini in a tractor run this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

@Reggie - did I see your sparkling clean Landini in a tractor run this weekend?

In ballinagore?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Pidae.m wrote: »
    The joys of grazing bulls

Have all heifers here and they're just as bad. It's the weather. Sure I'm nearly as bad myself. If I could only get her to stand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Grueller

Muckit wrote: »
    Have all heifers here and they're just as bad. It's the weather. Sure I'm nearly as bad myself :pac:

With other bulls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Don't mention the heifers I've only a few here but the big lads that graze a couple of hundred continental heifers should get some sort of Nobel prize for patience
    Have all heifers here and they're just as bad. It's the weather. Sure I'm nearly as bad myself. If I could only get her to stand :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Cold shower would sort you out😘:D

Nah.... kids are the best contraceptive!!
    Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Cold shower would sort you out😘:D

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Noticed a heifer that is destroyed in warts all over her teats. I couldn't get close enough but it looks like one teat is completley gone and another looks split at the tip.

She was bulled a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if I should get her aborted. I'm worried that teats are ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

piedmontese heifer at 11 months old, unsure whether to sell as a weanling or keep to a store and sell then

this was her at a month old
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100217026

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Noticed a heifer that is destroyed in warts all over her teats. I couldn't get close enough but it looks like one teat is completley gone and another looks split at the tip.

She was bulled a few weeks ago and I'm wondering if I should get her aborted. I'm worried that teats are ruined

We had heifers like that - warts always fell off especially when they started to bag closer to calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Dozer1 wrote: »
    piedmontese heifer at 11 months old, unsure whether to sell as a weanling or keep to a store and sell then

this was her at a month old
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100217026

Or keep her as a replacement? Lovely heifer and mother has a nice bag of milk?

Plenty of penstrep of a few days. Wouldn't worry about it.
    RobinBanks wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

No interest in keeping as a replacement Seaba she's too flighty and as her dam is a BBx I'd worry about ever getting a calf out of her

Did a walk today and grass cover is better than expected.:)

A couple of pics of the stock.

Inked2017-05-04_18.jpg

Inked2017-05-05_15.jpg

Calf from the caesarean section. 2 weeks old now. She has serious shape to her. Find it hard to believe that a half bred BB bull weanling would produce such a nice calf from such a plain cow. What you think?
    You can see calf holding up the right leg where the hoof shell came off.

416529.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Calf from the caesarean section. 2 weeks old now. She has serious shape to her. Find it hard to believe that a half bred BB bull weanling would produce such a nice calf from such a plain cow. What you think?
    You can see calf holding up the right leg where the hoof shell came off.

Hope you didn't squeeze that weanling Patsy 😀,you'd be delighted with her off an Ai Bull

High bike wrote: »
    Hope you didn't squeeze that weanling Patsy 😀,you'd be delighted with her off an Ai Bull
    He's gone to the McDonald's in the sky.

Whitethorn in full bloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

earp heifer

^^Had the same with an animal this year, was puzzled until I seen a calf in the next pen taking a fair few slugs when she was eating at the barrier!

Was burning shíte from the front of the barrier this morning (dry silage, fussy fcuker won't eat it)
    Maxy has no fight or flight reaction to fire anyway, though she gives a good ''The fcuk are you burning food for'' look :pac:

Wr9DFQSl.jpg

PTI cow. pic taken end of jan.

apostle bull @ 4 months

adx twin bull @ 6 months

Gringo heifer @ 25 months. pic taken in march

Tomschoice Ironside (LM2116) bull. 5 weeks old.

• Advertisement

Ampertaine Mozart – sells for 100,000gns at Carlisle.

Advertisement