Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Grueller

The dairy men will say cut now I know, but to feed sucklers over the winter I think another 10 days to bulk is the way I will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Grueller

The dairy men will say cut now I know, but to feed sucklers over the winter I think another 10 days to bulk is the way I will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

BULK Is king!!!
    Grueller wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Shorthorn heifer/cow I bought just before Christmas for 1100 euro. She calved late feb. Always had a soft spot for the shorthorn. They can be very plain in shape but they always rear a good calf. (Rushes due to be licked.:))

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

You know yourself what animals you're feeding and what you're feeding for and if you feed meal or not during during the winter. At the end of the day cutting earlier Is just to get better quality feed and replace bought in feed (concentrate) with your own produced feed. You know yourself what you want and for what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It seems showery enough For the next 5 days anyway, I'd say go whenever the weather is right tbh, nothing worse than waiting to cut silage and the weather stops you then for another 2 or 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Was looking at similar grass with the father today and saying the same thing about cutting now for great quality . He said the cows would love to have great quality silage .........
    that only stretched till January :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Shorthorn heifer/cow I bought just before Christmas for 1100 euro. She calved late feb. Always had a soft spot for the shorthorn. They can be very plain in shape but they always rear a good calf. (Rushes due to be licked.:))

That weanling will go along way to covering the cost of her, nice outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

im the same myself Patsy the shorthorns won't win a beauty contest but great mothers with plenty milk.Thats a nice calf is it a ch or limo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Love AI time of the year. Start of new calving season.

13 days breeding today, 60% of milkers submitted
    Don't know heifer stats as Bulls running with them this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

High bike wrote: »
    im the same myself Patsy the shorthorns won't win a beauty contest but great mothers with plenty milk.Thats a nice calf is it a ch or limo?
    Supposed be a limo. She came all the way from Kerry. Tag number is 012 so the guy that bred her only had one or two cows. Quiet as a mouse too.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Love AI time of the year. Start of new calving season.

13 days breeding today, 60% of milkers submitted
    Don't know heifer stats as Bulls running with them this year

Do they go side by side facing forward much in the batch crush, is it same angle as parlour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Mooooo wrote: »
    Do they go side by side facing forward much in the batch crush, is it same angle as parlour?

All go in side by side but really easy to settle. Once one turns they all do but as you can see two turned the other way this morning. Makes no great odds if only ai'ing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Last year was a case in point for me in cutting when you are nearly there but have the weather, it broke and stayed broke for a fortnight and I have grand bulk alright after that.

The next week is looking great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Looking like cut Tues and bale Thurs here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Gave her 3ml of Dexafort and let her out! Heifers calf beside her born yesterday looks teeny

gnBxOEP.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Gave her 3ml of Dexafort and let her out! Heifers calf beside her born yesterday looks teeny

gnBxOEP.gif

Tis no wonder you sore after getting that calf out. Well done.
    Now that is a serious calf. One to be proud off. You'll have to show us a pic in 6months time.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Tis no wonder you sore after getting that calf out. Well done.
    Now that is a serious calf. One to be proud off. You'll have to show us a pic in 6months time.

Same bull next year, hah :D

Aye she's a lovely thing, hopefully her leg comes right. If it does I'll prob train her for showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Same bull next year, hah :D

Aye she's a lovely thing, hopefully her leg comes right. If it does I'll prob train her for showing.

Ah twill please god. I'd keep her fairly confined tho if I was you.

What's the bull I'd you don't mind me asking?

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Ah twill please god. I'd keep her fairly confined tho if I was you.

What's the bull I'd you don't mind me asking?

Ecolo, culard ch. Calving dif of 14.8% though so not for the faint hearted. Dad had to laugh at me, I've only got the two cows right now and he says they've the two best calves this year! He must be trying to sweeten me up for something.....
    I had her on the slats there since she was born 10 days ago, though there are mats too so weren't too hard on her. Just in two small fields now for a week or so, then we'll move them to the rest touch wood.

• Advertisement

Anyone here see anything like this before!

2017-05-24_19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Never in Ireland or in real life but have seen photos online.

It is quite the spectacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Anyone here see anything like this before!

2017-05-24_19.jpg
    Yeah at Halloween parties :-))
    Looks like gossamer although you normally only see it later in the summer. I could be wrong.

Base price wrote: »
    Yeah at Halloween parties :-))
    Looks like gossamer although you normally only see it later in the summer. I could be wrong.

Here's the rest of the photos.
    I never saw anything like it before and my father never did either.
    Two different patches that we know of beside the roads near Enniscorthy.
    Seen them this evening and had to take a few pics.

2017-05-24_19.jpg

2017-05-24_19.jpg

2017-05-24_19.jpg

Anyone an idea what they are?

A virtual Milky bar to anyone who has an answer to these very unusual caterpillars.:)

They are Ermine Moth caterpillars.

So now there you go.:)

Enjoy the photos of the Ermine Moth caterpillars.:D

Here's the rest of the photos.
    I never saw anything like it before and my father never did either.
    Two different patches that we know of beside the roads near Enniscorthy.
    Seen them this evening and had to take a few pics.

2017-05-24_19.jpg

2017-05-24_19.jpg

2017-05-24_19.jpg

Anyone an idea what they are?
    Sent pic to youngest and he reckons it looks like a caterpillar bivouac - apparently made by several individuals for protection.
    Maybe ask in the Nature and Bird watching forum. Someone there will probably know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

tent moth?

Base price wrote: »
    Sent pic to youngest and he reckons it looks like a caterpillar bivouac - apparently made by several individuals for protection.
    Maybe ask in the Nature and Bird watching forum. Someone there will probably know.
    ganmo wrote: »
    tent moth?

I asked in the Nature and Bird watching forum and I also looked online.

They seem to be Ermine Moth caterpillars.

• Advertisement

I asked in the Nature and Bird watching forum and I also looked online.

They seem to be Ermine Moth caterpillars.
    Good. Will have a look over there - interested to see the responses.

Advertisement