Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

It's a huge investment. My father put in a paddock system around 2008/2009. It's a great job in fairness. Do as much of it as you can yourself. We saved thousands by doing all the work ourselves

The farm relief rates are a joke down here anyways. Yes they do a tasty job but Christ they know how to charge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Is there no independent lads doin fencing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

It's a huge investment. My father put in a paddock system around 2008/2009. It's a great job in fairness. Do as much of it as you can yourself. We saved thousands by doing all the work ourselves

Putting in paddocks for cattle is very cheap compared to sheep, I'd say the return on investment for cattle paddocks is less than one year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

It's not the price of the fencing really. I'd put up the wire myself but need a few roadways done and need to set up a lot of water troughs aswell before it's practical to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

When you have your own bull LC (no AI) l wouldn't get too fixated on roadways. Water troughs are the main thing (and in the right place) and a good perimeter electric fence. These are the keystones in my book.

After that you can use reels and pigtails. You need 3 reels per group, back and front of group and one to allocate new section.

Galvanised Mild steel wire is cheap and cheerful for semi permanent internal large divisions until you decide exactly where you want to put fences to save using reels for every move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

rangler1 wrote: »
    Putting in paddocks for cattle is very cheap compared to sheep, I'd say the return on investment for cattle paddocks is less than one year

Well this is a mixed farm so all paddocks were done with either sheep wire or 4 strands of electric Wire. We usually have the sheep grazing paddocks after the cows. Roadways were also put in place and initial cost on top of maintenance costs is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The other great advantage of temp fences is you can get them out of the way when spreading fertiliser or lime.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Angus heifer calf (sire- ZLL- Lanigan Deep Red) off speckle park cow. Age 91days.

423663.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Stq and TVR heifer calves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

sonnybill wrote: »
    Stq and TVR heifer calves

Which ones which

• Advertisement

Which ones which

White star is STQ out of a red limo . Blue grey is more muscled and from a blue grey BB X Lm dam

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

sonnybill wrote: »
    White star is STQ out of a red limo . Blue grey is more muscled and from a blue grey BB X Lm dam

Two serious calves there :D

Two serious calves there :D

I 3 cows down this year, culled couple and lost one so I letting up those 2, TVR might be a shade too muscley but I'll hold her a year and see.. Dam side should see her right with milk, calving ability etc only 3 star but have plenty 4/5 star candidates for scheme criteria as it is.

Stq calf was that ****ty brown for a while but in the past month she turned lovely jet black and is a bigger growthier calf and her dam is getting gate this year and is cracked but her daughters are sound temperament wise as BB's go docile as always

And that brings a close to calving for the year, was expecting all kinds of problems with her and she calved by herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

And that brings a close to calving for the year, was expecting all kinds of problems with her and she calved by herself.

Nice to go out on a good note . Calf doesnt look like she will be short on milk either

Bullocks wrote: »
    Nice to go out on a good note . Calf doesnt look like she will be short on milk either

Ya she has a fine stock made now, first bb cow in the place so it'll be interesting to see how the calf turns out. She's awful quiet aswell, I bought her as a calf and double sucked her on a black whitehead cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Ya she has a fine stock made now, first bb cow in the place so it'll be interesting to see how the calf turns out. She's awful quiet aswell, I bought her as a calf and double sucked her on a black whitehead cow.

The limo heifers out of her will make serious cows, definitely a favorite of mine.

Poster boys of what not to have. Big fat lumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Poster boys of what not to have. Big fat lumps!
    Nice calves, AI or stock bull?

Nice calves, AI or stock bull?

Nah stock bulls. Had an awful last 5 weeks calving. lost 2 but had to jack a lot. I'd them on hay since June first but they were still too fat. I'd a flawless so I suppose every year just balances itself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Twin bodybuilder heifers weaned at the weekend. 430 kgs and 380 kgs.
    She made a good job of them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Twin bodybuilder heifers weaned at the weekend. 430 kgs and 380 kgs.
    She made a good job of them
    Cracking heifers especially considering they're twins.
    I seldom see pictures on F&F of cattle with length and your girls have it.
    IMO most farmers get caught up trying to breed an end/rump and neglect the fact that a long carcass is better, iykwim.
    In my pedigree/cross breeding days the most difficult attribute to breed was length and height. Irrespective of grade an animal with length will leave a return after feeding - FR/HO cows with a skin of flesh being an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Didnt think this warranted a new thread but is it possible to see how a bull you sold is performing through his progeny in Herdplus? I thought I heard that you can check the progeny of your sold bulls and see how their calves killed out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

think have to be registered/signed up to ICBF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

April calves.
    Fiston, zag, fl21 and keltic handsome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Didnt think this warranted a new thread but is it possible to see how a bull you sold is performing through his progeny in Herdplus? I thought I heard that you can check the progeny of your sold bulls and see how their calves killed out etc.
    Go to bull search and find your bull. Now click previous evaluation. That will show you how many cattle he's sired and how many have been measured for each trait.

As for how individual animal performance, have they launched the bull tracker service yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Couple of LZR calves bull 20/2 heifer 15/3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

High bike wrote: »
    Couple of LZR calves bull 20/2 heifer 15/3

She's one I'd like around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

adne wrote: »
    April calves.
    Fiston, zag, fl21 and keltic handsome

No pic???

• Advertisement