Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    Heifer

Very nice, i suppose you'll keep her for a replacement?
    Have you used that LZR on heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

tanko wrote: »
    Very nice, i suppose you'll keep her for a replacement?
    Have you used that LZR on heifers?
    yeah I'll hang on to her even though the mother is only 3 star.Put him on one first Calvert last year an she called ok with a small pull so chanced him on a couple of more heifers this year

Had a few RIO calves off heifers last year, very easy calved and good quality. Have calves off Highfield Odran off heifers this year, very easy calved but at this stage i don't think his calves are as good as RIO.
    Have you used either of them?

Had a few RIO calves off heifers last year, very easy calved and good quality. Have calves off Highfield Odran off heifers this year, very easy calved but at this stage i don't think his calves are as good as RIO.
    Have you used either of them?
    had 4 Rios last year the last 4 straws my Ai man had and of course got 3 bulls and 1 heifer ,one nice calf but not overly impressed with them.Have a few in calf to Odran this year good to hear he's easily calved anyway so hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

One of my HCA heifers that I bought as calves. Of the 4, I got two bull/2 heifers but lost one heifer.

The attached heifer calf is out of my ADX stock bull, she is 4* so hope to keep her. (picture taken in June)

Calving these heifers at 2 yo has put pressure on them, 2 went back in calf quick enough, 2 have only gone back in calf in the last few weeks.

I bolused them but I really should have fed them nuts after calving to help them recover, wouldn't make that mistake with the next bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    One of my HCA heifers that I bought as calves. Of the 4, I got two bull/2 heifers but lost one heifer.

The attached heifer calf is out of my ADX stock bull, she is 4* so hope to keep her. (picture taken in June)

Calving these heifers at 2 yo has put pressure on them, 2 went back in calf quick enough, 2 have only gone back in calf in the last few weeks.

I bolused them but I really should have fed them nuts after calving to help them recover, wouldn't make that mistake with the next bunch.

She is a bit thin but I wouldn't worry about that . When is she due again ? If she is only recently gone in calf wont she have plenty of time to put on condition after weaning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Bullocks wrote: »
    She is a bit thin but I wouldn't worry about that . When is she due again ? If she is only recently gone in calf wont she have plenty of time to put on condition after weaning

She is due again in Feb, so she was quick off the mark!!

I would prefer her and the other 2 to have a bit more condition. Look we'll see how things work out!!

Every day is a school day!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    She is due again in Feb, so she was quick off the mark!!

I would prefer her and the other 2 to have a bit more condition. Look we'll see how things work out!!

Every day is a school day!!!!

I have a cow here thats a carbon copy of her ,I'll try and get a picture tomorrow for the craic !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

"Horny jedward" as the oh calls her.

424562.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

"Horny jedward" as the oh calls her.

quote]
    What a terrifying mental image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

424662.jpg
    4 star lim heifer, a heifers calf ,around 350kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

424662.jpg
    She's a beaut
    If you don't mind, what's she off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

424662.jpg

Lovely heifer, great length to her.

She's a beaut

Nothing fancy, the lad we bought her off ,brother in laws bull
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101777752

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

She's a beaut

Nothing fancy, the lad we bought her off ,brother in laws bull
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101777752
    She didn't disappoint.
    Good weight for age

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

March born heifer out of a Simmental cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

A dinger.One for the Monday night sale October bank holiday in kilfenora!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'd say the Tullamore farm lads would cry if they had to produce quality cattle like that in the Burren.

I'd much prefer go to a farm walk on your farm LC than these manicured cheque book projects.

Pidae.m wrote: »
    A dinger.One for the Monday night sale October bank holiday in kilfenora!!

One for keeping more like it.

One for keeping more like it.
    was thinking the same

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    I'd say the Tullamore farm lads would cry if they had to produce quality cattle like that in the Burren.

I'd much prefer go to a farm walk on your farm LC than these manicured cheque book projects.

Jaysus you've a fair chip on your shoulder with these demo farms.

If you look at them farms in general there aim is to male as much money out of the land as I'd possible by stokig it highly with lots of cowsand calves. They're aim is to make profit, not produce ' quality cattle'.

Also with no disrespect to limestone e cowboy he's getting a fair old helping hand from Brussels to produce the quality cattle don't ya think
    I could get slated for this but we're getting over 800 a week in grants alone and our entitlement's are below the national average in value and there are a lot around here getting more than us. That's before any stock are sold.

If you look at them farms in general there aim is to male as much money out of the land as I'd possible by stokig it highly with lots of cowsand calves. They're aim is to make profit, not produce ' quality cattle'.

Also with no disrespect to limestone e cowboy he's getting a fair old helping hand from Brussels to produce the quality cattle don't ya think

I don't really see the connection between it to be honest, be a lot easier sit on my hole and just keep enough to get the anc but that's not the case, I could probably keep 10 more cows if I had a place to winter them but I'm maxed out then. My entitlements are way below national average in value, get a nice bit out of the burren life but there is a huge amount of work to be done yearly in order to get it. Outside of that I'm not entitled to any more than anyone else. Our farm is far from tidy, facilities are fairly poor, a lot of the land is fairly poor but I have spent the last 7-8 years since I had any bit of a say in it trying to get the cattle right before anything else in the hope they will pay their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Those fancy cattle are very little good to those that buy them and those that produce them are always claiming to make very little as well, I used to breed stock like that and all you'd have outa them is a pile of slurry. only for Ray Mc sharry suckler cattle would be extinct now.

I don't really see the connection between it to be honest, be a lot easier sit on my hole and just keep enough to get the anc but that's not the case, I could probably keep 10 more cows if I had a place to winter them but I'm maxed out then. My entitlements are way below national average in value, get a nice bit out of the burren life but there is a huge amount of work to be done yearly in order to get it. Outside of that I'm not entitled to any more than anyone else. Our farm is far from tidy, facilities are fairly poor, a lot of the land is fairly poor but I have spent the last 7-8 years since I had any bit of a say in it trying to get the cattle right before anything else in the hope they will pay their way.

Do you have to cut hazel for that burren life? My neighbour goes contracting for an English lad up there and he was saying that there was complaints about the petrol chainsaws affecting the ecosystem up there and next year will have to cut by hand. I suggested an battery chainsaw.

Fair play to you, your cattle are always in fine form. They always say around here that limestone cattle trive around here. Although after this year- I'd say ducks wouldn't thrive around here.

Do you have to cut hazel for that burren life? My neighbour goes contracting for an English lad up there and he was saying that there was complaints about the petrol chainsaws affecting the ecosystem up there and next year will have to cut by hand. I suggested an battery chainsaw.

Fair play to you, your cattle are always in fine form. They always say around here that limestone cattle trive around here. Although after this year- I'd say ducks wouldn't thrive around here.

Someone made a good story out of that :D Ya most of the work is cutting scrub with a chainsaw or strimmer, tough enough going by the time you get them all piled up and treat all the stumps.

Someone made a good story out of that :D Ya most of the work is cutting scrub with a chainsaw or strimmer, tough enough going by the time you get them all piled up and treat all the stumps.

What do you treat the stumps with? He was saying paint on roundup, would that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Went fishing yesterday and drove to Ballyvaughaun through the Burren. Does seem like Hazel is taking over big time.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

What do you treat the stumps with? He was saying paint on roundup, would that be right?

Ya roundup or Gallup mixed at 5-1, not allowed to spray so have paint it on. I have a contraption made up with a spounge on the end of a tube and just dab the stumps with it. Works well. Rough day for fishing yesterday Patsy, went swimming off the pier in the evening and it was dodgy enough. Some crowd in black head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Ya roundup or Gallup mixed at 5-1, not allowed to spray so have paint it on. I have a contraption made up with a spounge on the end of a tube and just dab the stumps with it. Works well. Rough day for fishing yesterday Patsy, went swimming off the pier in the evening and it was dodgy enough. Some crowd in black head though.

Saw a digger clearing a big patch of hazel bushes there near corkscrew hill on Saturday I wouldn't like to be the one having to paint weedkiller on all of them stumps 😂

• Advertisement

rushvalley wrote: »
    Saw a digger clearing a big patch of hazel bushes there near corkscrew hill on Saturday I wouldn't like to be the one having to paint weedkiller on all of them stumps 😂

I wouldn't like to get caught in the digger this time of year either.

Advertisement