Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭893bet

just do it wrote: »
    How old?

Around 9 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

893bet wrote: »
    Around 9 months!

Sell as bull now!

Sell as bull now!

I agree. Try tell that to my father.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Very nice bull, that Saler behind him is hardly his mother, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

That's it alright, I might cut them with the strimmers in a few more weeks. Too many stones for the topper!

Don't bother breaking your back cutting them with strimmers they'll be well rotted away next spring..

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »

Nope. He is out of a very nice limo.

Nope. He is out of a very nice limo.

Do you keep any Saler cows?

What's his plan?

Do you keep any Saler cows?

We only have a small stock these days. One of those farms that makes no money with 15 sucklers cows. Mix of salers, limos, short horns, white heads all AI with limos or BB.

What's his plan?

Prob keep and fatten on grass for sale at 20-24 months.

• Advertisement

We only have a small stock these days. One of those farms that makes no money with 15 sucklers cows. Mix of salers, limos, short horns, white heads all AI with limos or BB.

Plenty of variety there so, would you be a fan of Saler cows as regards their calf quality, milk production, temperament etc in comparison to limousin cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

rushvalley wrote: »
    Don't bother breaking your back cutting them with strimmers they'll be well rotted away next spring..

12 acres there, I actually cut them over a few evenings earlier on in the summer with the strimmers because they were too strong to do. Be a bit tidier looking if they were cut even though I often left strong rushes I sprayed to rot.

Prob keep and fatten on grass for sale at 20-24 months.

Old style ;).

Just from the photo on the phone it looks like he's suitable for export. If so it will be hard to beat that for return on the home market

12 acres there, I actually cut them over a few evenings earlier on in the summer with the strimmers because they were too strong to do. Be a bit tidier looking if they were cut even though I often left strong rushes I sprayed to rot.

Yeah it's a dose looking at them alright. Left them after spraying last year but got in and topped them this year. At least the fields look good for a few weeks. Determined to avoid poaching from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No as the bull mick on Mcsavage would say ....'they're quuuarrrres!!!!!' :D:D

Yeah it's a dose looking at them alright. Left them after spraying last year but got in and topped them this year. At least the fields look good for a few weeks. Determined to avoid poaching from now on.

My place is a nuisance there. It's half way up a mountain with 30 acres of a winterage above it and the water is at the very bottom. Want to keep cattle off it for the winter but can't at the moment because of the water and it's getting poached during the winter time. Might get to do something with the water through the BFCP next year if it stays going hopefully!

I wish all my cows could do this. Early April Mereside favori (FZF) bull.

First autumn calf born last night smack on due date. Heifer out of a springer by FTY.

5ceGfE.jpg

And now 10 days later shaping up nicely. Pity she's probably going to be mad as a hatter :rolleyes:
    5HpZsp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Lovely outfit as the auctioneers say. Sure if she's flighty sell her on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Serious calf for an April lad tanko.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Always vigilant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reggie. wrote: »
    Always vigilant

''Look Simba, Everything the light touches is our kingdom'' :D

Miname wrote: »
    Serious calf for an April lad tanko.

Yeah, he's some lump and has never seen a nut. His mother's milk is like rocket fuel. Her calves always put on serious flesh. I wouldn't mind but she's a mongrel of a cow of a scrub bull (a quality one tho, a son of Epson). The only thing wrong with him is that he isn't a heifer.

Here's another favori calf around the same age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

...Here's another favori calf around the same age.
    Happy with Mereside Favori so? Did you buy the straws off a fellow Cavan man? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Reggie. wrote: »
    Always vigilant
    ;)

Happy with Mereside Favori so? Did you buy the straws off a fellow Cavan man? :cool:

He seems to be the real deal, a neighbour has a serious heifer calf out of him off a Charolais cow.

Yeah, I'm very happy with him. Plenty of length and power in his calves with good square back ends. If his heifers have milk (which they should going by his breeding) then he is a good all round bull really.
    Here's one more that I hope will make a good cow. Got the straws off Phillip alrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Yeah, I'm very happy with him. Plenty of length and power in his calves with good square back ends. If his heifers have milk (which they should going by his breeding) then he is a good all round bull really.
    Here's one more that I hope will make a good cow. Got the straws off Phillip alrite.

she going against the laws of physics anyways:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

View from the kitchen window this morning, let a few munchers in for a few hours to chew down the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

nice ones too and useful in more ways than one , make nice bulge in wallet

Advertisement