Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Started autumn calving here with the first heifer. Calved at 29months age, 3/4Limo, has Limox bull calf.
    DSCF3003.jpg
    DSCF3025.jpg
    Two heifers and one cow should calve in a couple days. Hoping for a good start.
    DSCF3037.jpg
    DSCF3032.jpg
    DSCF3016.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

golodge wrote: »
    Started autumn calving here with the first heifer. Calved at 29months age, 3/4Limo, has Limox bull calf.
    DSCF3003.jpg
    DSCF3025.jpg
    Two heifers and one cow should calve in a couple days. Hoping for a good start.
    DSCF3037.jpg
    DSCF3032.jpg
    DSCF3016.jpg

Peach of a heifer in the first pic

Morning spent running around a field of barley & beet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Not to bad if it's the one man that owns all!!

If not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,618 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Morning spent running around a field of barley & beet

Was it your barley/beet fields?

• Advertisement

Ya least it's ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Bullocks wrote: »
    £750 .Nice markings , is there much milk in the breeding ?

Ya she's a heifers calf and she done a good job on her. She's after a highlander bull and the mother is simx lim back to Glebefarm Tyson. I'm tempted to keep her but I don't have any lims. I'll see how she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

A nice ADX limousin replacement heifer we have - about 27 months, 3 months in calf.
    ADX doesn't have good milk figures but hoping she will bring a bit from her mother - an ALO shorthorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

What's she in calf to?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Agh, just a black. Dad doesn't believe in going too hard for the first calving. She would have been alright with an easy limousin but no point getting into an argument!
    Will see what kind of a bag she makes - if it is a decent one might try and get a replacement off her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

She's a smasher.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

11 year old cow that always reared a good lump of a calf.

Just as expected the cow has calved first. Two heifers are still preparing. One will be on 285th day tomorrow. Cow is the 3rd calver, sired by homebred AngusxCharolaisx bull out of 1/4(Angus, BB, Salers, dairy) cow. Nice Limox twin heifers have arrived this evening.
    DSCF3017.jpg
    DSCF3008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Nice to get twin heifers, fair play they look brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

11 year old cow that always reared a good lump of a calf.

What age is he ? She's got enough milk in her I'd say

Nice to get twin heifers, fair play they look brilliant.
    Thanks. It's the third set of twins this year. We always had only one pair each year, and never both heifers, so this year is very exciting.

Bullocks wrote: »
    What age is he ? She's got enough milk in her I'd say

Patrick's day ish. Probably worth as much now as he'll be worth next may

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Simmental out of a blonde heifer.
    Good pull last nite with this lad. Was backways and upside down.
    Of course it was a bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Simmental out of a blonde heifer.
    Good pull last nite with this lad. Was backways and upside down.
    Of course it was a bull!
    I hope she kept her calf bed in. The only time I ever had one backwards AND upside down the cow threw out her calf bed.
    He's a lump of a calf. Is he by that really long bull that you put up the photo of in the photo competition.

Base price wrote: »
    I hope she kept her calf bed in. The only time I ever had one backwards AND upside down the cow threw out her calf bed.
    He's a lump of a calf. Is he by that really long bull that you put up the photo of in the photo competition.

No bed out thank god. Ya he's off that bull alright. Sent him to the factory last week, I'll miss the oul boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Grueller

No bed out thank god. Ya he's off that bull alright. Sent him to the factory last week, I'll miss the oul boy!

That's a pity. He was a lovely beast. Have you him replaced yet?

Grueller wrote: »
    That's a pity. He was a lovely beast. Have you him replaced yet?

Ya he was a fine bull alright. He was 10 year old and the feet were starting to be at him. He came into €1740 so I was delighted with that, it'll take the harm out of another one. No replacement got yet. I'm in no mad panic as I ai mostly. Iv a good young bull coming through too but he would be closely enough related to the other lad so I'll probably sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

Have this lad at home. Not a big farmer and new to finishing cattle. He's 22 months. He was 365kg in February when I bought him. What age would be best to be finishing him at? Would I want to push him to 30 months?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/16455563
    Clearance Sale of top Quality Suckler Herd

If I were to win the euro millions

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/16455563
    Clearance Sale of top Quality Suckler Herd

If I were to win the euro millions

Farm it till it's gone 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Have this lad at home. Not a big farmer and new to finishing cattle. He's 22 months. He was 365kg in February when I bought him. What age would be best to be finishing him at? Would I want to push him to 30 months?

Probably would. He hadn't a great weight for 16mts @365kg. That's about 21kg gain per month. Giving that he is only going to do about 26kg per month as he didnt make great weight for his age and that would want to be on good grass from when you bought him. He will be about 700kg by 30mts. And with killout in mid fifties he could get to 360-80kg DW.

Farm it till it's gone 😀

That's the dream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    I'd say leave him go on to 36 months Not a hope he could be brought to finish at 30 months in any form of profitable way.

Autumn calving going in full speed. Another heifer has calved today around 6am. Has Limox heifer calf. Heifer is LimoxBBxdairy, 28months old.

21200461_1396636997093001_2007571585501132390_o.jpg
    DSCF3008.jpg
    It's really interesting that calves from our present bull are skinny and almost always are in 30-40kgs range, despite the fact that the bull himself is a huge and has really big bones. Could never guess that he is so easy to calve.
    Our previous bull had way smaller bones and was much smaller, but his calves rarely were less than 40kgs and often were near 50kgs or more. The biggest calves were 70 and 66kgs. His calves always had quite a fair amount of meat on them already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

So got my Basalt dust spread today.

The dust is a mafic type of Basalt called Dolerite. (Exactly the type I wanted for the field).
    I was actually very lucky (flooky) in that the quarry is not very far from me.
    I got it spread at 3 tons/acre and have lightly harrowed it in and will get about 2.5 ton of calcite lime/acre spread on it tomorrow or the next day and then ready for grass seed.

2017-08-29_14.jpg

Interesting fact about Dolerite. Found this out today. The ancients must have liked their dolerite. The inner stone circle at Stonehenge is made from dolerite and was hauled there from the Preseli hills in Pembrokeshire 140 miles away.
    There are other stone circles made from dolerite in wales and it seems it was the preferred stone for the circles.

Edit: there should be a picture there but i'm having trouble uploading.
    Will try again later. Pic quality not great but you get the idea.

Advertisement