Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

golodge wrote: »
    Autumn calving going in full speed. Another heifer has calved today around 6am. Has Limox heifer calf. Heifer is LimoxBBxdairy, 28months old.

21200461_1396636997093001_2007571585501132390_o.jpg
    DSCF3008.jpg
    It's really interesting that calves from our present bull are skinny and almost always are in 30-40kgs range, despite the fact that the bull himself is a huge and has really big bones. Could never guess that he is so easy to calve.
    Our previous bull had way smaller bones and was much smaller, but his calves rarely were less than 40kgs and often were near 50kgs or more. The biggest calves were 70 and 66kgs. His calves always had quite a fair amount of meat on them already.

Do you find August the best month for autumn calving

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Do you find August the best month for autumn calving
    Yes, I like August the most, but September is good enough too. Two years ago a couple heifers have calved in October and I didn't like it. Those calves went in to the barn quite big next year, but not big enough to be sold, while one calf that year was born in August and sold him before next Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What is the Beef price at the moment in Lithuania?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

What is the Beef price at the moment in Lithuania?
    Crossbred bulls under 24months, 320-449kgs deadweight, R3-3.15eur/kg, U3- 3.28eur/kg.
    We don't sell heifers to the local meat factories, as they pay very little, just slightly more than for cows. We sell them to the company from Swirtzeland, Baltic Vianco. They need heifers under 24months, BBx not needed, deadweight has to be 240-330kgs, the best price you get for 260-300kgs deadweight. If R3- 3.56eur/kg, U3- 3.76eur/kg deadweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Crossbred bulls under 24months, 320-449kgs deadweight, R3-3.15eur/kg, U3- 3.28eur/kg.
    We don't sell heifers to the local meat factories, as they pay very little, just slightly more than for cows. We sell them to the company from Swirtzeland, Baltic Vianco. They need heifers under 24months, BBx not needed, deadweight has to be 240-330kgs, the best price you get for 260-300kgs deadweight. If R3- 3.56eur/kg, U3- 3.76eur/kg deadweight.

What would a ton of meal or fertiluser cost then?

• Advertisement

What would a ton of meal  or fertiluser cost then?
    We don't buy any fertilizer, so can't tell that. As for meal, we buy wheat or barley from local farmers, buy maize with sugar beets meal and rapeseed meal. Wheat cost now ~150eur/t, maize/sugar beet meal cost 210eur/t, rapeseed meal ~250eur/t.

I've posted quite alot these days, but will share a couple more photos.
    It's been awhile since we bought a heifer or cow for our herd. However, today have brought a new heifer to the farm from one neighbour. She's 18 months old, 580kgs, LimoxBBxdairy. Very tame, halter trained.
    DSCF3024.jpg
    DSCF3022.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I've posted quite alot these days, but will share a couple more photos.
    It's been awhile since we bought a heifer or cow for our herd. However, today have brought a new heifer to the farm from one neighbour. She's 18 months old, 580kgs, LimoxBBxdairy. Very tame, halter trained.
    DSCF3024.jpg
    DSCF3022.jpg

She's a smasher.

She's a smasher.
    Yeah. It's hard to find here such quality heifers.
    We gonna breed her with our Limousine bull, so hope for a nice calf next year.

Born May RSA heifer
    If she was yours would you breed her, or is she too muscled?
    F3ACC706-2011-4FA7-815E-529B9AA06849_zpssz9zxbgt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Born May RSA heifer
    If she was yours would you breed her, or is she too muscled?
    F3ACC706-2011-4FA7-815E-529B9AA06849_zpssz9zxbgt.jpg

Breed away . She's the makings of a nice animal

We think it's wet here. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I know you shouldn't have favourites cause it jinxs them ...

Gave two prices for this heifer as a weanling and she turned out terrible, shocking calf

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Pidae.m wrote: »
    I know you shouldn't have favourites cause it jinxs them ...

Lovely calf. Hereford or Simmental?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Gave two prices for this heifer as a weanling and she turned out terrible, shocking calf

Give her time, some of my best cows had right runts for their first calf. The body is under a lot of pressure trying to feed a calf, maintain a pregnancy, and stay alive. I think they hit their prime at calf 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

That's my average calf this year. It's has not Been a great year for cattle weather wise... as I look out at more rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Give her time, some of my best cows had right runts for their first calf. The body is under a lot of pressure trying to feed a calf, maintain a pregnancy, and stay alive. I think they hit their prime at calf 3.

Agree with that - also she might just not have clicked with the bull used on her for that calf. I see when changing stock bull that seems to bring better quality calves from some cows than others - and might have been opposite with previous bull.

Best of luck with this patsy

Hereford calves , had an aubrac for years but had fertility issues, tried different bulls from different breeders same result so bought an old Hereford bull. He put everything incalf that could go incalf in 8 weeks which hadn't happened for years here. Had to sell him last Jan as he was gone too cross.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with this patsy

Set sail from Foynes this morning.

Ceremonial+Cattle+Drive+Bavaria+SkvqSm0RNeNl.jpg

Hereford calves , had an aubrac for years but had fertility issues, tried different bulls from different breeders same result so bought an old Hereford bull. He put everything incalf that could go incalf in 8 weeks which hadn't happened for years here. Had to sell him last Jan as he was gone too cross.

I know a very good breeder of Herefords that would have a very good selection of bulls of different types. if you need contact details drop me a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

Set sail from Foynes this morning.

Ceremonial+Cattle+Drive+Bavaria+SkvqSm0RNeNl.jpg

Nice pair of lederhosen there Patsy.:)

Few bulls Jan/Feb born another 2/3 weeks on the tit and hopefully they will go then. On meal about 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Few bulls Jan/Feb born another 2/3 weeks on the tit and hopefully they will go then. On meal about 3 weeks.

Serious stock. AI or stock bull?

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Serious stock. AI or stock bull?

Stock bull, he is leaving nice cattle.

Stock bull, he is leaving nice cattle.

Nice stock, have you bred any of the heifers yet?
    Will you finish or sell?

Nice stock, have you bred any of the heifers yet?
    Will you finish or sell?

Thanks. I'll sell the bulls and keep the heifers over winter to let them grow a bit more. I'll keep a few of my favourite ones and sell the rest. Had nearly all bulls last year and it's the opposite this year. Only kept one for breeding. She's calving early December to kjb lim bull at 23mts old. Her mother is very fertile and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Thanks. I'll sell the bulls and keep the heifers over winter to let them grow a bit more. I'll keep a few of my favourite ones and sell the rest. Had nearly all bulls last year and it's the opposite this year. Only kept one for breeding. She's calving early December to kjb lim bull at 23mts old. Her mother is very fertile and quiet.

Beautiful animals. Fair play to you. Do you know what %breed the mothers are?

• Advertisement

Beautiful animals. Fair play to you. Do you know what %breed the mothers are?

Some are %100, most are around %80/%90

Advertisement