Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Stock bull, he is leaving nice cattle.

Great calves. What's the breeding in your bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Great calves. What's the breeding in your bull?

Two bulls, one by DRU, big long strong cattle. One by curaheen bossman, shorter bull but very thick and well muscled.

Unfortunately the DRU lad is burgers now due to bad feet so I'll be hopeing to have a few nice heifer calves of him this spring to keep. Nice bull on the way next week with gfy in his breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Two bulls, one by DRU, big long strong cattle. One by curaheen bossman, shorter bull but very thick and well muscled.

Unfortunately the DRU lad is burgers now due to bad feet so I'll be hopeing to have a few nice heifer calves of him this spring to keep. Nice bull on the way next week with gfy in his breeding.

Loved gfy, could never understand why he wasn't used more. He had it all, milk and muscle. Stick up a pic when you get him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Loved gfy, could never understand why he wasn't used more. He had it all, milk and muscle. Stick up a pic when you get him

He would be my favourite bull too. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Had to put some of the cows and calves to the winterage yesterday. Spread over twice as much fert here this year with the same amount of cattle but the weather the last 6 weeks is making things tough. The driest of our summer ground is swimming at the moment. They were happy enough looking today anyway even with the storm brewing.

• Advertisement

Another go.

Feck, anyone know how to reduce the file size on pics, got a new phone a few weeks ago and they are all too big :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Feck, anyone know how to reduce the file size on pics, got a new phone a few weeks ago and they are all too big :(

Photo and picture resizer in play store. Got it yesterdar great job

Third time lucky, thanks charolais.

427605.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Third time lucky, thanks charolais.

Toppers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Few of this years calves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

the new Jockey!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Few more of ours. As you can see a good few are housed for now.

Firstly a late March CKH heifer with repl value of €129 though I think she'll be a bit fat for breeding.
    zc5JYwLl.jpg

Virginia Andy pb heifer born mid June.
    4KIMGYMl.jpg

THZ bull born at the end of April.
    vrYvosul.jpg

Jks bull born mid April ( this was the monster calf but his mother is going this year, can't be dealing with her giant calves)
    pX3EXQul.jpg

And Bouncy! A calf born second week of April and weighed about as much as a spaniel, that almost died twice on me from a 22month old heifer.
    mfpXrHal.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Dozer1 wrote: »
    the new Jockey!

Did you give him a name??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

well part of his registered name is medium so I was thinking of calling him Mr Average :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

Reseed today.
    Sowed Friday 1st sept at roughly 18kgs/acre.
    Got 3 tons dolerite (basalt dust) and 2 tons cal lime per acre.
    Sowed seed with a vicon spreader and rolled once.
    Got 3 bags 10.10.20 per acre on the 2nd sept and got 30 units N per acre yesterday.

2017-09-12_13.jpg

When you zoom in, it looks better so. ZOOM.
    2017-09-12_13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Floki wrote: »
    Reseed today.
    Sowed Friday 1st sept at roughly 18kgs/acre.
    Got 3 tons dolerite and 2 tons cal lime per acre.
    Sowed seed with a vicon spreader and rolled once.
    Got 3 bags 10.10.20 per acre on the 2nd sept and got 30 units N per acre yesterday.

2017-09-12_13.jpg

When you zoom in, it looks better so. ZOOM.
    2017-09-12_13.jpg

Looks fairly decent

Reggie. wrote: »
    Looks fairly decent

Can't wait to start grazing it.
    But that heavy rain Saturday night and since then is helping it.

Can't wait to start grazing it.
    But that heavy rain Saturday night and since then is helping it.

My poor reseed got flooded for a few hours and haven't ventured out to it since

My poor reseed got flooded for a few hours and haven't ventured out to it since

As soon as there's a hint of green on it, get a bag of nitrogen out.

Every hour matters when you get to this time of the year.

• Advertisement

As soon as there's a hint of green on it, get a bag of nitrogen out.

Every hour matters when you get to this time of the year.

Can't as it is oversown

Can't as it is oversown

I presume this is not your own stuff?

But nitrogen and keep it grazed with sheep maybe.
    If it was clover I wouldn't be worried about N. But grass seedlings need nitrogen.

I presume this is not your own stuff?

But nitrogen and keep it grazed with sheep maybe.
    If it was clover I wouldn't be worried about N. But grass seedlings need nitrogen.

It's my own but if I introduce N the old grass will smother the seedlings. 0-7-30 better for these seedlings than 10-10-20 in this situation

It's my own but if I introduce N the old grass will smother the seedlings. 0-7-30 better for these seedlings than 10-10-20 in this situation

That's where the sheep or something light to keep the old sward grazed and allow light to reach the new seedlings come in.

I'll agree to differ on the fert choice.
    Still need N to get them going and especially if you haven't spread lime last autumn where you would have a big soil N reserve and release in the last few weeks.

That's where the sheep or something light to keep the old sward grazed and allow light to reach the new seedlings come in.

I'll agree to differ on the fert choice.
    Still need N to get them going and especially if you haven't spread lime last autumn where you would have a big soil N reserve and release in the last few weeks.

You have to be careful with animals. If you introduce animals at the wrong time and the seedlings haven't established the roots enough then they will be ripped out of the ground. Sheep can be a terror for this. A common problem that lads overlook. If you apply N then you are on a race against the old grass. Seedlings have a natural store of N to give them a kick start and it's this head start I'm trying to give them aganist the old grass.

Min of 2 bags of granlime should be spread on fresh reseed regardless of method or how much lime it got previous as dying matter will increase the acidity of the top layer of the ground. Oversowing is a cheap method but if not done right or managed properly then your wasting seed and money.

All redress are at the mercy of the weather anyways. My greatest fear is if my seeds germinate in the next day or so like they are supposed to, that they will be venerable to frost that is promised the end of this week.

You have to be careful with animals. If you introduce animals at the wrong time and the seedlings haven't established the roots enough then they will be ripped out of the ground. Sheep can be a terror for this. A common problem that lads overlook. If you apply N then you are on a race against the old grass. Seedlings have a natural store of N to give them a kick start and it's this head start I'm trying to give them aganist the old grass.

Min of 2 bags of granlime should be spread on fresh reseed regardless of method or how much lime it got previous as dying matter will increase the acidity of the top layer of the ground. Oversowing is a cheap method but if not done right or managed properly then your wasting seed and money.

All redress are at the mercy of the weather anyways. My greatest fear is if my seeds germinate in the next day or so like they are supposed to, that they will be venerable to frost that is promised the end of this week.

So is that it now then?
    No nitrogen till next February?

You're a braver man than me. :p

So is that it now then?
    No nitrogen till next February?

You're a braver man than me. :p

Yep I'll give it nothing for about 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Any chance they will extend the closing date with the weather this past week

tellmeabit wrote: »

Of course they will

• Advertisement

Yep I'll give it nothing for about 3 weeks

The closing date for spreading any N or P is Friday.
    tellmeabit wrote: »

I haven't heard any call for it only on your post.
    So I doubt it.

The whole idea behind it was for any crops to be able to take up any fertiliser spread and not have it leaching into waterways before the winter stops growth.

Buy it and spread it Thursday.

Advertisement