Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

A couple more here, All by limo stock bull, late March and early April bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,618 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

This lady calved about half a mile from the yard. Both walked fine until they got to the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    This lady calved about half a mile from the yard. Both walked fine until they got to the yard.
    What happened when they got to the yard?
    Hopefully all is good with both of them.

Base price wrote: »
    What happened when they got to the yard?
    Hopefully all is good with both of them.
    Cow just stopped, had to push calf up the yard. All fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Big lad is lzf and purebred.
    Smaller lad is csq.

Super bulls
    Good bone & size to LZF & lovely muscle to CSQ
    What age are they

• Advertisement

Irish Beef wrote: »
    Nice calves, looks to be a nice young bull, will you keep any of the heifers?
    Nice 1 in the first pic

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

whelan2 wrote: »

Lovely looking cow. Reminds me of the cows we had years ago when we milked. Is there any British Fresian in her?

croot wrote: »
    Lovely looking cow. Reminds me of the cows we had years ago when we milked. Is there any British Fresian in her?
    ye out of FAE 90% FR, 9% HOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Super bulls
    Good bone & size to LZF & lovely muscle to CSQ
    What age are they

November for lzf. Feb/march the other lad

November for lzf. Feb/march the other lad

LZF is a good size, but CSQ has a great size for his age, he'll be big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

sonnybill wrote:
    Yeah I'd second that height may be an issue with FSZ. I kept a Nov born weanling out of him but she out of my biggest cow so I'll judge Fiston on her as cow, bundles of rep stars and super heifer but hope she grows a bit more

Have kept a heifer too from Fiston and hoping to breed her too cos of her figures, great animal except for the height.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

Irish Beef wrote: »
    Nice calves, looks to be a nice young bull, will you keep any of the heifers?
    Nice 1 in the first pic
    Probably wont, the bull is very young, only have him a couple years, don't want a load of his heifers around yet he's a nice quite bull, very much a terminal bull, want to keep him for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

€15 wood+an hours work earlier=new trough!
    a1grYdhm.jpgAQ7Z26Qm.jpgPW7UlaNm.jpg

TxRnoT5l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

will it last..how u join to crush--can they lift it with there heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What's the plan for those girls LHW?

wiggy123 wrote: »

I would agree. Nothing timber ever lasts with cattle and Irish weather! Hard beat blue plastic barrells or JFC pipe ripped up the middle. You have to think about moving them easily. I've gone away from trough with legs also. A pure waste of time unless in yard.

wiggy123 wrote: »
    Muckit wrote: »
    What's the plan for those girls LHW?

It's only outside for 2 weeks, going into the shed in the lying area which has a weanling gate. We normally put the creep feeder up against the sliding door but we'll have some calves in the middle pen this year so needed a trough for them. Doubt it'll last but if I get a winter out of it, it'll be grand! Needed a tough to train the cows too as we've a test in a couple weeks and they'll learn to come for nuts each day.

All incalf Muckit, outer two are suckling strong calves, middle one is that skeletal purebred I showed ye last winter so want flesh on her before the shed. She's due in Jan too so don't want her going back once she hits silage.

Would you wean the calves soon? Hard on cows this time of year. No value in grass and questionable if it pays to meal them. It's inevitable that they will go back on silage.

Muckit wrote: »
    Would you wean the calves soon? Hard on cows this time of year. No value in grass and questionable if it pays to meal them. It's inevitable that they will go back on silage.

Yea we're just waiting til after the test, can't get the tractor into the land to load them so the cows til then. They're on the driest ground we have but the way in to the land is through a mucky pass/young bog. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

ground has gotten very wet.. is grass--just tramping it at present

• Advertisement

These are what kept me busy this week.

Twin OEO bulls. The cow is a is a third calver CH x SIM. I knew she was sick and was keeping an eye on her in the field and out popped the outside one. He was pretty weak and needed help to suck. Got him sorted and saw she was forcing so I handled her and found that a second one was coming. The legs and head were there ok so I left her to it but was hovering in the background. When he was born I went over and he had the shroud over his head and was gasping. Hung him up by the back legs and gave him a swing and he coughed out the gunk and she started licking him. He was the stronger better calf of the two but I had a job getting him to suck. He kept putting his head down but eventually he got going.

I figured they were away with it but the following day I noticed she wouldn't let the second fella suck. Lifting him with kicks when he went near her so every morning before work and evening I had to put her in and tie her for him to suck.

Eventually this morning when I went up to the farm before work he was sucking away and she was licking him. Great when it works out but a nuisance up to that.

429804.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

In all my years, I've never seen a leg tied like that. Looks a good idea. We've always tied the 2 legs together.
    Would you still call that a spancill?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

In all my years, I've never seen a leg tied like that. Looks a good idea. We've always tied the 2 legs together.

I wouldn't because I never heard of a spancill. This was day two so in fairness to her she wasn't kicking as much. I'd usually tie both together but this way I kept the leg pulled back a bit so the second calf could suck as well if he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭tanko

sonnybill wrote: »
    4 fistons gettin a bit to eat before departure

How did they get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Who2

id always tie them like that, but would usually use a strap wrapped on the flat. its how the auld man done it here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

tanko wrote: »
    How did they get on?

April calves so no weight in them muscley one on right was best per kilo €3.31 235kg E780
    White lad 302kg E930
    White lad 278kg E885
    Took that heifer in middle home 240kg e700 too young and she from a right good cow IMO with milk and height

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Big lad is lzf and purebred.
    Smaller lad is csq.

Sold the csq calf. 410kg 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

The Last Supper!
    Hanging in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    The Last Supper!
    Hanging in the morning

If only they knew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭tanko

What age are those?

Advertisement