Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I fed the cows today , over a month ahead of last year but weather is hard on them..

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

sonnybill wrote: »
    I fed the cows today , over a month ahead of last year but weather is hard on them..

Sorry double post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

sonnybill wrote: »

It's a hard year on them out, felt sorry for mine in the snow Sunday and started feeding them aswell. Like yourself it's a month ahead of time aswell. Going to be an expensive winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭tanko

Look on the bright side lads, at least ye didnt have to start feeding them 2,3 or even 4 months ago😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

tanko wrote: »
    Look on the bright side lads, at least ye didnt have to start feeding them 2,3 or even 4 months ago����

Indeed! We've already gone through 40+ bales :eek: Going to start them on a ration as well to make sure we've enough til April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If you don't feed them it could be even more expensive. If there's one priority when it comes to farm spending, it's look after the well-being of the animals.
    Sermon finished. Now for the Sunday collection. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I read that as semen! :o

Muckit wrote: »
    I read that as semen! :o

Have you got your xmas party tonight????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

My 3 PBR bulls. 1st bull by On-dit born late Feb, middle bull by On-dit born late Mar and the last bull by Dancer born late Jan. Happy enough with how they are progressing, all suitable for the BDG scheme. Hopefully lots of buyers for young bulls in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    My 3 PBR bulls. 1st bull by On-dit born late Feb, middle bull by On-dit born late Mar and the last bull by Dancer born late Jan. Happy enough with how they are progressing, all suitable for the BDG scheme. Hopefully lots of buyers for young bulls in the spring.
    Nice bulls, are they for the premier in spring?
    Will you have much prep to do with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Nice bulls, are they for the premier in spring?
    Will you have much prep to do with them?

Tks, no DoneDeal and word of mouth, to put it in soccer terms I’m playing first division, the premiership is a long way off. I’m producing bulls for the €2k-€3k market and averaging in that range. I don’t see the value in the sales. Not sure of the future though, a lot of suckler herds gone by the wayside and I would not like to know what the average age of a suckler farmer is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Fiston bull born last nite

Thats some calf, any bother calving?
    Dont suppose you can stick up a pic of the cow?

Not a bit. Left her at 7 eating a barrow of hay, was thinking alright that she d prop calf tonight. Came back at quarter ta 9 and the calf had 2 teats shining and doin a few laps of the pen!
    Ya I’ll stuck up the cow later on when I get home. She d be a pbnr simmental, nothing too fancy about her

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Thats a good calf. Its hard to beat fiston for a bit of quality and ease of calving

That’s her, as I said nothing to fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

She will make some job of that calf! Great bag of milk there

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Not a bit. Left her at 7 eating a barrow of hay, was thinking alright that she d prop calf tonight. Came back at quarter ta 9 and the calf had 2 teats shining and doin a few laps of the pen!
    Ya I’ll stuck up the cow later on when I get home. She d be a pbnr simmental, nothing too fancy about her

Super outfit there, can I just ask why you didn’t put a sim on your pbnr Simmental?

Super looking cow. Great bone in her.

josephsoap wrote: »
    Super outfit there, can I just ask why you didn’t put a sim on your pbnr Simmental?

It's nearly all Simmental I use here so I like to experiment the odd time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

New limox heifer born last night. Getting the first calves from our Limousine bull.
    DSCF3008.jpg

The Farmers Journal just posted this on Youtube;
    They have some interesting videos from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Great video there Patsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I could be mistaken but was our own wrangler on that trip ?

All sectioned and a calving interval of 400 days , not exactly what Teagasc would be telling us to aim for but would be interesting to see the figures to compare with a better farm here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Only watched it myself. That white blue in the middle... never seen front shoulders like it. Lucky they come out the side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Grueller

€4.50 & €4.80 per kg for carcasses up to 600kg dead weight. Big difference in price and spec there in fairness though.

Muckit wrote: »
    Only watched it myself. That white blue in the middle... never seen front shoulders like it. Lucky they come out the side!!

I'd say he would struggle to get up the crush we have here haha but then again if I had a lad that good he would have been sold as a weanlin fairly liveley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

All out the side door and taken from the cows and put on milk replacer. Cow doing nothing. Sounds like madness? Some beef price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Bullocks wrote: »
    I could be mistaken but was our own wrangler on that trip ?

All sectioned and a calving interval of 400 days , not exactly what Teagasc would be telling us to aim for but would be interesting to see the figures to compare with a better farm here

Like everything in life, A lot of what teagasc tell us should be taken with a pinch of salt!

• Advertisement

All out the side door and taken from the cows and put on milk replacer. Cow doing nothing. Sounds like madness? Some beef price though.

Jaysus , they dont even suck the cow ? Wouldn't they be better off with embryo transfers on cull dairy cows at that rate

Advertisement