Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Bullocks wrote: »
    Jaysus , they dont even suck the cow ? Wouldn't they be better off with embryo transfers on cull dairy cows at that rate

They have a savage beef price and tillage. I'd say they do their own mixes an use the beef for additional value on the tillage. Just seems like loonacy to have everything out the side door and rated on replacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

They have a savage beef price and tillage. I'd say they do their own mixes an use the beef for additional value on the tillage. Just seems like loonacy to have everything out the side door and rated on replacer.

If you're getting €2,700 for cull cows, then a lot of things start to make sense.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

If you're getting €2,700 for cull cows, then a lot of things start to make sense.

He would need a fair few more replacements than a lad using regular calving though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bullocks wrote: »
    He would need a fair few more replacements than a lad using regular calving though

All heifes kept for breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

All heifes kept for breeding

Hmmm , t'wudnt my cup of tea .
    Do they give figures in the journal ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Does this count as livestock?

437193.jpeg

Farming related- a brand of cheese in Australia.

437205.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Farming related- a brand of cheese in Australia.

437205.jpeg

Coon is a nickname for a certain type of people over there too.

Coon is a nickname for a certain type of people over there too.

I know- I nearly fell off my chair when I saw it- the FIL said there was a court case to force the company to change the name but the company retained the right to retain it.

One tough cookie.:rolleyes:
    Lea Vicens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I bet those stallions are worth more than our entire shed of cattle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

image.jpeg
    Nice crossmolina euro heifer born yesterday. She came fairly dark for a 3/4 charolais.

image.jpeg
    Can't seem to attach 2 images to the one post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

image.jpeg
    Can't seem to attach 2 images to the one post
    Nice calf, should be a good one, cow looks to have a good drop
    Had you to assist?

Nice calf, should be a good one, cow looks to have a good drop
    Had you to assist?

Small pull with the ropes just ta get the head out. She worked away herself after that. Ya she's a good cow, one of the best in the yard

If it looks stupid but it works....it's not stupid. Or something like that :D

ixFDcWfl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If it looks stupid but it works....it's not stupid. Or something like that :D

ixFDcWfl.jpg

I wouldn't care how it looks. ;)

A neighbour here used to be buying the horse headcollars from lidl/adli for cattle.
    The lidl/aldi ones were good strong soft collars.
    I think they haven't sold them for years now.

I wouldn't care how it looks. ;)

A neighbour here used to be buying the horse headcollars from lidl/adli for cattle.
    The lidl/aldi ones were good strong soft collars.
    I think they haven't sold them for years now.

I just needed something that wasn't going to be pulled off him/into his eye or tighten on him cause I left off walking him for a week as i had that stupid bug going round and am taking him to a sale in 3 weeks. Have a few of them but they didn't fit the last chap so tried it as a last resort.
    The lunging cavesson actually fits him better (shorter length as sits higher on the horses nose) so might use that on him in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I just needed something that wasn't going to be pulled off him/into his eye or tighten on him cause I left off walking him for a week as i had that stupid bug going round and am taking him to a sale in 3 weeks. Have a few of them but they didn't fit the last chap so tried it as a last resort.
    The lunging cavesson actually fits him better (shorter length as sits higher on the horses nose) so might use that on him in future!

Would you walk him often?

Would you walk him often?

Just patience and a bit of kindness in a small pen and he walks fine. But will be stepping it up to every day or every second day from now on. He's never even been tied yet so after i do that for a few hours, I'll bring him to a mart to see how he reacts to the atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭tanko

Some shed, no mention of cost tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

tanko wrote: »
    Some shed, no mention of cost tho.

I wouldn't like to go buying the straw to keep it bedded down. They probably make there own but Christ it must take some amount of it.
    Lovely looking stock in fairness to him.

Saw this shed on Youtube recently too. Really drove home how a dry climate makes housing cattle on straw an ideal setup.
    Same guy has a few other interesting videos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Pidae.m wrote: »

A large number of mixed age cattle in one shed, the ventilation would want to be good

Five for away tomorrow.
    L-R
    Thz heifers calf, bull born end May.
    Eby heifers calf, tried to die twice, bull born April.
    Ecolo heifer with the limp.
    Pb heifer off Virginia Andy
    JKS April bull
    CH2000 June bull.
    S2189 heifers calf, born in June. Really liking her and she's as quiet!
    There's another THZ bull but hiding behind the cow.

Nx9Rd0Gl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

That Ecolo heifer looks nicely wide and square, let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Five for away tomorrow.
    L-R
    Thz heifers calf, bull born end May.
    Eby heifers calf, tried to die twice, bull born April.
    Ecolo heifer with the limp.
    Pb heifer off Virginia Andy
    JKS April bull
    CH2000 June bull.
    S2189 heifers calf, born in June. Really liking her and she's as quiet!
    There's another THZ bull but hiding behind the cow.

Nx9Rd0Gl.jpg

Nice stock. How's trade shaping?
    Is the pb the worst of the bunch.. milk??

That Ecolo heifer looks nicely wide and square, let us know how you get on!
    adne wrote: »
    Nice stock. How's trade shaping?
    Is the pb the worst of the bunch.. milk??

Haven't looked at trade so dunno but they have to go! Was chatting to a few weanling men I'd have known and they said they'd be there tomorrow anyway so at least I'll get all the gossip!!

All heifers are being kept over the summer, two for breeding & the ecolo will go at 15/16 months. Should grow a good bit more with the blonde in her.
    Ya the PB is the weakest right now but she's the youngest and only getting a small bit of meal, was taken off the cow at a bare 5 months too as she wasn't incalf & culled. Have 3 sisters of hers here and all thrived once they hit the yearling mark so not a bit bothered if she looks poor now!
    That's the cow here, lovely breeder, just a bit eh.....maternal at calving.:D- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95720139&postcount=1512

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Haven't looked at trade so dunno but they have to go! Was chatting to a few weanling men I'd have known and they said they'd be there tomorrow anyway so at least I'll get all the gossip!!

All heifers are being kept over the summer, two for breeding & the ecolo will go at 15/16 months. Should grow a good bit more with the blonde in her.
    Ya the PB is the weakest right now but she's the youngest and only getting a small bit of meal, was taken off the cow at a bare 5 months too as she wasn't incalf & culled. Have 3 sisters of hers here and all thrived once they hit the yearling mark so not a bit bothered if she looks poor now!
    That's the cow here, lovely breeder, just a bit eh.....maternal at calving.:D- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95720139&postcount=1512
    No shortage of milk there anyway

Advertisement