Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Av 2.67 a kg which was grand, two heifers calves were light which I was expecting. And considering that chap at 285kg tried to die twice he did ok :D Chatting to a chap in the mart that buys private off us and he bought a sister of the blue last year. Was sure he'd have her killed by now but he has her bulled instead!

Edit- top was the ch, then the blue, then thz heifers calf, then eby heifers calf, then thz second calver.

hHbgHqcl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Two pictures.

One of recently resurfaced roadway.

Other of ground reseeded 1st Sept last year.
    Weanlings grazed it for 12 days in Oct.
    It grew well over the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Av 2.67 a kg which was grand, two heifers calves were light which I was expecting. And considering that chap at 285kg tried to die twice he did ok :D Chatting to a chap in the mart that buys private off us and he bought a sister of the blue last year. Was sure he'd have her killed by now but he has her bulled instead!

Edit- top was the ch, then the blue, then thz heifers calf, then eby heifers calf, then thz second calver.

hHbgHqcl.jpg

What mart did you sell in. Nothing wrong with those prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Two pictures.

Serious work in both pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

top was the ch, then the blue, then thz heifers calf, then eby heifers calf, then thz second calver.

hHbgHqcl.jpg

Hard to beat a good Charolais. Good weight for a calf born in late April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Two pictures.

Wait till the dust is cutting the eyes of ya in the summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

Two pictures.

A lot of shoveling in that roadway

valtra2 wrote: »
    A lot of shoveling in that roadway

I put down the basalt dust first with the loader and then graded with the land leveller. Then i shovelled out lime on top after out of the tractor loader. Took me 3 full days with a shovel.
    But stupid me I used the wrong type of lime. But it is gradually hardening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Better than any council crew

ganmo wrote: »
    Better than any council crew

Don't know about that but the cows should be able to run on it.
    (If they want).

• Advertisement

adne wrote: »
    What mart did you sell in. Nothing wrong with those prices
    Hard to beat a good Charolais. Good weight for a calf born in late April.

Carrigallen. Always like it for weanlings. Ch sell very there. He's actually a brother of the animal tanko got off me, goes back to br fr breeding so plenty of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Carrigallen. Always like it for weanlings. Ch sell very there. He's actually a brother of the animal tanko got off me, goes back to br fr breeding so plenty of milk.

Do you creep feed them? If so how much meal would you have in them?

Do you creep feed them? If so how much meal would you have in them?

About €70 a head, maybe a wee bit more for the older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

I put down the basalt dust first with the loader and then graded with the land leveller. Then i shovelled out lime on top after out of the tractor loader. Took me 3 full days with a shovel.
    But stupid me I used the wrong type of lime. But it is gradually hardening up.

I though I saw you out with shovel alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I though I saw you out with shovel.

Unusual sight was it :D

About €70 a head, maybe a wee bit more for the older ones.

Thanks! I would be getting similar weights and prices for my weanlings, but they would be slightly older and getting no meal. Generally born March and sold in December. Often wondered if I creep fed them would it push them into heavier weights and higher price. My biggest problem would be time moving creep feeder every few days.

I though I saw you out with shovel alright.

Was that you with a bale trailer?

Thanks! I would be getting similar weights and prices for my weanlings, but they would be slightly older and getting no meal. Generally born March and sold in December. Often wondered if I creep fed them would it push them into heavier weights and higher price. My biggest problem would be time moving creep feeder every few days.

We'd normally sell in December too but these got a virus about a week before we planned to sell so had to readjust our plans. Not our best quality either, was chasing grass all year! Hopefully better this year, have a lot more ch.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Unusual sight was it :D

I was only stopping to look at the tractors going the road.;)

We'd normally sell in December too but these got a virus about a week before we planned to sell so had to readjust our plans. Not our best quality either, was chasing grass all year! Hopefully better this year, have a lot more ch.

I have mainly stuck with lims over the last few years as I don’t live on the farm and they tend to get up and getting going fairly quickly. Found the few ch I tried very sluggish and slow to get up and suck. Hope to try a lot more ch over next few years as I’m building on the farm at the min.

• Advertisement

I have mainly stuck with lims over the last few years as I don’t live on the farm and they tend to get up and getting going fairly quickly. Found the few ch I tried very sluggish and slow to get up and suck. Hope to try a lot more ch over next few years as I’m building on the farm at the min.

Ah we don't have many issues with sluggishness as we put ch on the unreg limos. Problem is getting them out at times!!

ZXT heifer born on Saturday, big enough but she calved herself thankfully :)

NQvv7Syl.jpg

And here's mammy! She's the one that pined away almost to nothing last winter so am proud of her now!
    2wqTK3ul.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

ZXT heifer

I think ZXT is gone now is he? I thought he was very easy calved but depends on what he's crossed on. That's a fine calf of yours

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

How do I embed an image

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

RobinBanks wrote: »
    How do I embed an image

Attach a photo like normal. Copy the link for that attachment. Paste it into the message and putbefore it and after it

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I think ZXT is gone now is he? I thought he was very easy calved but depends on what he's crossed on. That's a fine calf of yours

Dunno! Thought he was a young enough bull? First time I've used him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Does my ass look big in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Does my ass look big in this?

Some calf, he out of your stock Bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Some calf, he out of your stock Bull?

Nope we haven't kept a stock bull since we have the milkers. 100% AI now. She's outta fiston. Dam is a blue cow outta a Freasian. Kinda surprised how she's packing on the muscle for a heifer of 3months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Nope we haven't kept a stock bull since we have the milkers. 100% AI now. She's outta fiston. Dam is a blue cow outta a Freasian. Kinda surprised how she's packing on the muscle for a heifer of 3months.

Sorry I'm confusing you with someone else, thought you ran a blue bull.
    Some muscle on her

Advertisement