Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Never used fiston here but saw a bull sold with its PB simmental mother in Ennis mart last year . Muscle like that on him.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Post driving today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Post driving today.

Wow that's dry land...

Wow that's dry land...

It's a reseed from last autumn.
    Ploughing would have dried it up a bit anyway.
    There's an odd softish spot.
    But not too bad today. Good drying out.
    I want to get it properly fenced before I let the stock out and before the rush of calving if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭MfMan

Whereabouts you at? A wheelbarrow would sink in land round here currently.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »

Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Post driving today.

I reseeded ground last July and can't go near it atm and it would be our dry ground. Just constant rain since Nov really. When do you start calving. D date was Feb 3rd here but 2 calved and one near, normally would have a good few calved by now. Switching to spring this year and will stick to Feb aim for calving start id say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

MfMan wrote: »

I'd take the wheelbarrow, am thinking of putting lifejackets on the hens here :pac:

Mooooo wrote: »
    I reseeded ground last July and can't go near it atm and it would be our dry ground. Just constant rain since Nov really. When do you start calving. D date was Feb 3rd here but 2 calved and one near, normally would have a good few calved by now. Switching to spring this year and will stick to Feb aim for calving start id say

3 calved so far. It's not going to be a big rush as other years but still Feb Mar should cover 95% of them. I had a little problem with the bull last year and so there's a few more in March than Feb than I'd like.
    That ground there was reseeded on the 1st Sept grazed bare for 10 days in Oct.
    Got 3 bags 10.10.20 the day before I sowed and a bag of CAN on the 15th Sept at emergence. Got 3t of dolerite dust harrowed in and 2t of calcium lime after levelling. 5 litres of seawater per acre diluted at 20:1 with well water and sprayed on in Dec and watery slurry from outdoor slats spread on last week roughly about 2.5k/acre with an umbilical spreader.

It's a good job this is an anonymous forum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Wow that's dry land...

You'd see all these adverts in back of IFJ for foreign farm tours. Often thought should be done for East and West of the country here. God twas an eye opener when l went down around Johnstown Castle one Jan and see what l left behind here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We had a distant relative from Donegal here one time. He couldn't believe how good the land was around here. It's all relative, I guess. :rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Unorthodox but lunge cavesson works very well on him.
    Removed the noseband padding so it works similar to a metal training halter & presses on the nose.

IjleGw7l.jpg

Got his first full body wash today, heated water with bubble bath of course :D:D
    9Qj8t7Wl.jpg

Unorthodox but lunge cavesson works very well on him.
    Removed the noseband padding so it works similar to a metal training halter & presses on the nose.

IjleGw7l.jpg

Got his first full body wash today, heated water with bubble bath of course :D:D
    9Qj8t7Wl.jpg

When's the saddle going on? :p

At the sale Saturday, I'm the lunchtime show :D:D

Ah no it seriously does work better than a rope plus it's way more secure as I can fit it to his head better. There's a buckle at the nose, chin & top of the head so can have it sitting perfect so it won't go into his eye or slip when he pulls.

Dont be silly. She has to make his mouth first!

*ring ring*
    LHW:Hello
    Caller: you've a bull for sale ?
    LHw: yeah, thats right.
    Caller: Did you ring him?
    LHW: Yes l did. And he broke into a lovely canter.

Don't be mean, yiz could all be using them yet! Much cheaper than a training halter plus can size to the head, could be the next big thing:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Will you wash him much before the weekend?
    How’s the walking going?

Will you wash him much before the weekend?
    How’s the walking going?

Took a good bit of washing to take all the dirt off him, will clip his belly though as it's too much work to clean off with a comb. Prob just brush him each day now to keep the bad dirt off and then a final wash early Saturday morning.
    The walking....well now....he walks anyway :D He's doing ok, could be better though. Has a habit of twisting his head in towards me to take the pressure off the nose rope and headbutting me but have worked that out now so know to anticipate it. If he's bold on Saturday i'll find someone in Carrick, no point being thick-headed about leading my own bull if it's dangerous. As it is he leads far easier for me than Dad, must be all that plamásing I gave him or perhaps he's just a ladies man!

Plenty of bedding is the only job. Torture trying to prepare a bull for sale on slats/concrete. Even for their coat. You can imagine charolais. It's one hobby I'm not sorry to have left behind.

Lead with the halter. Only use the nose to get him going

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Plenty of bedding is the only job. Torture trying to prepare a bull for sale on slats/concrete. Even for their coat. You can imagine charolais. It's one hobby I'm not sorry to have left behind.

Ah he'll get a nice bed for the next few nights alright, can't be wasting it with the price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Three Boyo's ready for the Mart this evening in Roscommon...... Not sure if i should hold them another while or let them off. Two CWI (White ones) and one EBY (Red). Mid March (white guessing 400kg) late April (Red guessing 370kg) and Early May (other white 360kg). Anyone know what the trade is like at the moment?

They are nice ones.

Muckit wrote: »

Lead with the halter. Only use the nose to get him going
    Did you just do sales or did you do the local show scene too?

Three Boyo's ready for the Mart this evening in Roscommon...... Not sure if i should hold them another while or let them off. Two CWI (White ones) and one EBY (Red). Mid March (white guessing 400kg) late April (Red guessing 370kg) and Early May (other white 360kg). Anyone know what the trade is like at the moment?
    Good luck with them

Thinking Red & €850, small white @ €870, big white @ €950

Best of luck with them, they should go well. Roscommon a good mart for the quality ones.

I think I'll patent this little dickerydoo. The Calf Palhut :D:D

3bOGJgYl.jpgDogYITXl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

First one of the year .. White LZF bull from Ch X BA 2nd calver unassisted

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MF290

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Good luck with them

Thinking Red & €850, small white @ €870, big white @ €950

Sold last night. A bit dissapointed with the LM. He had a bit of style i thought. Buyers were mad for good Charlois.
    Big char was 435kg....€1145
    Other char was 330kg..€935...
    Lm. ..360kg. ...€820

• Advertisement

Sold last night. A bit dissapointed with the LM. He had a bit of style i thought. Buyers were mad for good Charlois.
    Big char was 435kg....€1145
    Other char was 330kg..€935...
    Lm. ..360kg. ...€820

Great prices

Advertisement