Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

He's gas. Look him up on fb under Garry the goat. He is a comedian that travels all over outback Australia backpacker style in a old pick up/van. He brings the goat everywhere with him. Very smart sort that the Australian government tried to hush many times in petty ways. You'd have to go back a good bit to get the story.
    The goat died a few months ago and he had him stuffed. He's on a brake at the moment and is going to travel the country with Garry the stuffed goat who doesn't give a fcuk! 😂 Interesting man.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

High bike wrote: »
    Zag heifer out of a sim x cow,first of the year

Hope you've got a good pair of runners, had a set of twin Zag bulls a two years ago, lovely animals now they've calmed down.

Problem was they would always go in opposite directions whenever I tried to do anything with them, named them Zig and Zag!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Had a bit of a fight with this fella at midnight! He didn't want to come out once he seen the snow and his arse was all warm inside NooNoo :D

bVTtcGgl.jpg

He looks like a monster! What he by? She has plenty of milk to feed him anyway!

He looks like a monster! What he by? She has plenty of milk to feed him anyway!

Crossmolina Jupiter, he's a full brother to this goldie heifer.
    She had plenty, until she got mastitis in one front tit!! He's still not standing by himself, no wonder I thought there was twins in her :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Had a bit of a fight with this fella at midnight! He didn't want to come out once he seen the snow and his arse was all warm inside NooNoo :D

bVTtcGgl.jpg

Great calf and cow. What's cow by?

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Great calf and cow. What's cow by?

She's one of my favourites alright. She's 12yrs old now, by Navarin out of a teeny little AA/BrFr/Ch/God only knows/ cow that I bought as a suck calf.
    Bad back legs though, as most Navarin we had seem to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Got these guys out, kale and bales of silage a he bottom of the field

2 yr old heifer with a lm bull

Cerberus granda but she's quite & gallons of milk

• Advertisement

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Got these guys out, kale and bales of silage a he bottom of the field

These two are poxy because they were bulled by a weanling by accident. I should really sell them don't expect them to come to much.

This is the cow & calf that was on the time laspe video on the journal last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

2 yr old heifer with a lm bull

Think I just seen this on Instagram ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

bVTtcGgl.jpg

I had a similar battle on Tuesday evening. Huge bull calf out of our own stock bull. Just about managed to get him out. Full length of jack and very tight at the hips. Calf is just about standing today. Have spent the last few days and nights milking the cow and bottle feeding the calf while he was tucked up under a heat lamp. He's only coming right now and I have let him back in with the cow - who has gotten as wicked as phuck over the last few days! I'll throw up some pics when I get a chance.

This is the cow & calf that was on the time laspe video on the journal last week.

What is she by? Fine outfit.

'No need to feed weanlings, I'll just calve them fit for selling'': NooNoo. :D

Hm1ElTYl.jpg

mIIOAq2l.jpg

Think I just seen this on Instagram ;)

Ha ha. I didn't you'd approve at calving at 2 :)
    Ps put up more photos your cattle s h i t mine!!!!!

What is she by? Fine outfit.

Just a cow I bought as a weanling in 2007. Very lucky to be fair. There's not much info on her background on icbf. The last owner wasn't fond of paperwork I'd say.

'No need to feed weanlings, I'll just calve them fit for selling'': NooNoo. :D

Hm1ElTYl.jpg

mIIOAq2l.jpg

Mother of god!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Fine calf God bless em!

• Advertisement

I'd prefer them smaller though she did carry almost 3 weeks! Have another two due to him as well, am slightly worried about the 2nd calver now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I'd prefer them smaller though she did carry almost 3 weeks! Have another two due to him as well, am slightly worried about the 2nd calver now :pac:

Hes easy calving ime. He needs a muscly cow to have any shape in the calf .

I know he's on ICBF as average enough for a ch, she calved a fine big heifer to him last year by herself. I'd say it was both the amount of time she carried & the fact it was a bull which led to his size. Other two are limos thankfully so a bit less bone to them.

Ha ha. I didn't you'd approve at calving at 2 :)
    Ps put up more photos your cattle s h i t mine!!!!!

Try to calf everything at 2yo, doesn't always work though. Ye only see the pick of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Try to calf everything at 2yo, doesn't always work though. Ye only see the pick of them.

Do people find no matter how much the heifer is pushed for size an weight at 15months, the heifer is still growing from 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did you jack him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Are you talking about Crossmolina Jupiter- prime Roberto x Doonally new?
    Would that cross not bring shape?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you jack him out?

Did indeed. Jack slipped twice too, cow lay with her arse to a sliding door so we had to open it to jack. Got stuck at the hips a good while so thankfully she's very quiet as we moved ropes up to knees & lifted her back leg for a bit of extra wiggle room. Wouldn't like to have taken him on my own.
    Are you talking about Crossmolina Jupiter- prime Roberto x Doonally new?
    Would that cross not bring shape?

I've not seen any others by him but our heifer last year and no-one can say she doesn't have shape! I'd say he'd bring big raw, thick boned animals off plain simx cattle though, be a nice cross for store cattle.

Do people find no matter how much the heifer is pushed for size an weight at 15months, the heifer is still growing from 2-3 years

Ya they are definitely but if they are looked after well enough there'll be no great problem. I see no difference between cows that calved at 2 or 3 years here when they are 5 or 6 years old. They need to be well minded for the first year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭tanko

Ya they are definitely but if they are looked after well enough there'll be no great problem. I see no difference between cows that calved at 2 or 3 years here when they are 5 or 6 years old. They need to be well minded for the first year though.

When you say "well minded", how do you treat heifers you intend bulling at 15 months old. What do you feed them over their first and second winter assuming they're spring born?

Advertisement