Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    When you say "well minded", how do you treat heifers you intend bulling at 15 months old. What do you feed them over their first and second winter assuming they're spring born?

4-5kg of a 16% nut and silage ad-lib. Cut back on the nuts about 6 weeks before calving. They are outside though and probably wouldn't need as much inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭tanko

Thanks, do you give them much ration or nuts over their first winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Calved 322 days ago. She's a dinger. Nice heifer calf. She'll be a keeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Calved 322 days ago. She's a dinger. Nice heifer calf. She'll be a keeper!

Youd feel safe behind those gates. Heavy duty is a proper job

tanko wrote: »
    Thanks, do you give them much ration or nuts over their first winter?

They'd be getting about 4kg of meal but like that they are outside aswell and it probably takes a bit more feeding to keep them going. I sold 10 14-16 month heifer last year and they were all between 420-490kgs and they weren't awfully fleshy at that. I don't have any problem getting them strong enough to bull. They need tlc after calving though to avoid having them slipping a year, always try to get them away to grass as soon as I can after calving. I'm surrounded by bulls here and if I didn't try and calf at 2yo half them would probably end up in calf to the neighbours charolais. Better the devil you know. 30 months would probably be the ideal age but not really possible when we are spring calving.

• Advertisement

Youd feel safe behind those gates. Heavy duty is a proper job

The bigger ones is where the stock bulls go for the winter. You'd be surprised what they can bend when they feel like it! Was doing all them pens a few years ago and put in good heavy galv dipped gates. Lifetime job.

Like you said, you feel safe behind them if something did have a run at it. I like the 4 bar gates in calving pens for a quick exit if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Grueller

They'd be getting about 4kg of meal but like that they are outside aswell and it probably takes a bit more feeding to keep them going. I sold 10 14-16 month heifer last year and they were all between 420-490kgs and they weren't awfully fleshy at that. I don't have any problem getting them strong enough to bull. They need tlc after calving though to avoid having them slipping a year, always try to get them away to grass as soon as I can after calving. I'm surrounded by bulls here and if I didn't try and calf at 2yo half them would probably end up in calf to the neighbours charolais. Better the devil you know. 30 months would probably be the ideal age but not really possible when we are spring calving.

I agree with 30 months. 28 is where a lot of ours get bulled. We are split calving spring and autumn so spring born heifers go into the autumn calvers and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Grueller wrote: »
    I agree with 30 months. 28 is where a lot of ours get bulled. We are split calving spring and autumn so spring born heifers go into the autumn calvers and vice versa.

24 is tight for me too, no problems for the adlwg up to weaning but I don't believe we get the growth rates that first winter period as silage quality wouldn't be as good and again I'd say lads up the country on drier ground would have them away on reseeded grass much earlier in Spring, additional meal then to make it happen successfully then takes the profit out of it IMO .

Like poster above I have 2 Autumn born heifers from 30 months heifers that I'll bull in may to calve at 30 mts, seems to work and shave 6 months off the situation !

441840.jpg
    Eby bull calf out of 2 year old cwi heifer at a day old. Hard enough pull and she is still a little sore after it

Field of grass received 0t of doleite dust and 0t of lime and diluted fresh rain.;):D
    441841.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

441840.jpg
    Eby bull calf out of 2 year old cwi heifer at a day old. Hard enough pull and she is still a little sore after it

Field of grass received 0t of doleite dust and 0t of lime and diluted fresh rain.;):D
    441841.png

Oi you little .......
    You do know where limestone land originally came from? ;)

No fodder crisis there.

Needs more rain though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

4-5kg of a 16% nut and silage ad-lib. Cut back on the nuts about 6 weeks before calving. They are outside though and probably wouldn't need as much inside.

God you are pushing them aren't you?

Mine get 1kg and good silage ad-lib for the first winter and the same up to christmas the second winter and then cut out the meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

That grass is a sight for sore eyes !

Have you many cwi heifers/cows ? How are they for milk, calving etc? Thinking of useing him a bit this year.

Mine get 1kg and good silage ad-lib for the first winter and the same up to christmas the second winter and then cut out the meal.

They are outside though. I give adlib silage and 1.5 kg of a 19% p nut from weaning in October to the end of February. Grass only after that.

Have you many cwi heifers/cows ? How are they for milk, calving etc? Thinking of useing him a bit this year.

3 of them. All really good for calving. Ok for milk if the cow has some. Good fertility also
    That heifers calf had a 32 inch chest girth. We had a pb charolais calf with the same chest girth out of a pb charolais 30 month old heifer and it was a section

3 of them. All really good for calving. Ok for milk if the cow has some. Good fertility also
    That heifers calf had a 32 inch chest girth. We had a pb charolais calf with the same chest girth out of a pb charolais 30 month old heifer and it was a section

Not to bad so. Did she carry long to eby? He should have been easier calving but depends on how they click with the cow too. I'll try a few of his straws so. Looking for a small % of lim coming back trough cows to hold shape etc.

Not to bad so. Did she carry long to eby? He should have been easier calving but depends on how they click with the cow too. I'll try a few of his straws so. Looking for a small % of lim coming back trough cows to hold shape etc.

1 day over due date . had 2 cows calf over same weekend and all calves were all same size. Hes just fairly well bred i suppose

Well yours probably have a few things in their favour that mine haven't. Longer grazing season on better land, housed for the winter, better quality silage. Very exposed here, even with all the feeding they haven't really done for me this year with the way the winter came, way behind the ones over the last few years. Hoping it'll stand to them though if the weather ever straightens out.

Impeccable bull calf this am... He tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Fine calf God bless him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

sonnybill wrote: »
    thats some heifer😂

High bike wrote: »
    thats some heifer😂

??

She an old momma 😉 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

sonnybill wrote: »
    Super quality, Pity there’s not too many straws left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Hon the fine weather!!☺

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Hon the fine weather!!☺

Well for some

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭tanko

Hon the fine weather!!☺

I suppose you’ll be looking for rain next week.

Hon the fine weather!!☺

Half thought to remove a few lads on Snapchat today for the same carry on!

Capone heifer

Bbq bull out of pam cow. 5 weeks old
    442127.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fleckvieh calf

Advertisement