Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Now you'll have whiteheads in the herd for the next three generations even if you go back. ;)

Any assistance at calving needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Now you'll have whiteheads in the herd for the next three generations even if you go back. ;)

Any assistance at calving needed?

Gave a small pull just with the hands as the cow seemed a tad lazy, bull calf about 5 days over time. Cow cleaned fine, pic was taken about 30 mins after calving. Have 4 or 5 maidens only one has a whitehead, be interesting to see their calves next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Crossmolina jupiter heifer calf out of a simmental cow. Calfed unassisted during the night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Nice calf. Like the bucket holder!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bought these two today. Blonde x ch and blonde x bb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lovely stock. 1100? Or thereabouts

Lovely stock. 1100? Or thereabouts

Very good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Mmmmm just mulched smell :D

AWZp6VNh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

What weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mmmmm just mulched smell :D

AWZp6VNh.jpg

Was there a ditch there in the foreground across the field in a previous time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Was there a ditch there in the foreground across the field in a previous time?

There was indeed, before my time though so quite a while ago:pac: Still remains our travel pass as it's firmer ground. Also was one further across the field down from the stones but no evidence left of it now except grass is slightly different colour.

valtra2 wrote: »
    What weight.

White is about 360 I'd say. Blue about 330.

You'll make cows out of them l presume? Blue looks well made but personally l prefer the ch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Muckit wrote: »
    You'll make cows out of them l presume? Blue looks well made but personally l prefer the ch!

Same as that , I think the Blonde x CH heifer is a smasher .

How will they be for milk do you think ? That would be my only concern , but if they have milk you will be betting quality calves for selling

I'll give them a chance anyway, might be a bit well bred for breeding but time will tell. The blue is a small bit hungry in herself but will be a serious heifer when she fills out.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Same as that , I think the Blonde x CH heifer is a smasher .

How will they be for milk do you think ? That would be my only concern , but if they have milk you will be betting quality calves for selling

Your guess is as good as mine bullocks. Nothing ventured nothing gained though.

Have they stars? I see blue is genotyped. Did u buy privately

Have they stars? I see blue is genotyped. Did u buy privately

I didn't even check, have 150% of what I need for bdgp. Don't care about stars. Ya bought from a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ah yeah , you won't loose on them even if you sell them after one calf if they are slack in milk . Serious heifers

• Advertisement

I didn't even check, have 150% of what I need for bdgp. Don't care about stars. Ya bought from a neighbour.

Well stars dont matter but the daughter milk fugure gives a bit of an estimate

Well stars dont matter but the daughter milk fugure gives a bit of an estimate

My last lim bull i had is minus 6kg for milk and produced the milkiest lim heifers we ever had. They have a long way to go to be accurate. Seems to have narrowed the gene pool a lot as well. Looking out for a charolais bull at the moment and half of what's in the country is by lzf who I won't say much about or fiston who i dont think is stretchy enough for my cows at least.

My last lim bull i had is minus 6kg for milk and produced the milkiest lim heifers we ever had. They have a long way to go to be accurate. Seems to have narrowed the gene pool a lot as well. Looking out for a charolais bull at the moment and half of what's in the country is by lzf who I won't say much about or fiston who i dont think is stretchy enough for my cows at least.

Have a lzf bull here atm...... In case you were interested:D.

Have a lzf bull here atm...... In case you were interested:D.

Woops :D

Nice calf. Like the bucket holder!
    The boss man is fairly handy with that kind of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

BA x Ch is a right good one and I think its a great cross if the bit of milk is there

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Braving the cold

Crossmolina euro bull calf born at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

sonnybill wrote: »
    Braving the cold

hes grand Sure hasn't he got his coat on him

• Advertisement

sonnybill wrote: »
    Braving the cold

We had a great KT meeting recently on calf health. A qualified vet turned farm consultant/ advisor gave great info on topic of calf health. Amazing the energy young calves burn trying to keep themselves warm.

A suckler calf has a great fighing chance compared to his bucket rared comrade in this regard. A good mother will shelter him on the leeward side of her and once she is well fed, her body heat will heat him. Her milk also has a higher fat content for energy.

Contrast this to an often damp straw bed (knee test), poor drainage, poor ventilation, bad draught all in a big airy shed which they can't lift the stale air out of....

Advertisement