Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I know most won't agree but they won't be bulled for another 15 months.

If I owned them in 15 mths all goin to plan they have a 3 or 4 mth under them
    :-)
    What age are they btw? 13mths or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

If I owned them in 15 mths all goin to plan they have a 3 or 4 mth under them
    :-)
    What age are they btw? 13mths or so?

Ha I see your point but I'm stuck in the old way of a bit more size. Ha. Curly one is 9 months and the other one is 11 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Ha I see your point but I'm stuck in the old way of a bit more size. Ha. Curly one is 9 months and the other one is 11 months.

They're too young to be bullin alright. I'd wait till April or May so. :-)

If you treat them well after calving again they have their 3rd calf there'll be no size difference with their comrades who have a calf less.
    If ya put pressure on them though you'll see them suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I got these in gort last week. Curly girl was €1140 and the other girl was €940 by a bull called Ardadoney Captin. Quiet as lambs I can nearly scratch them allreddy. I know most won't agree but they won't be bulled for another 15 months.

Private purchase? Best of luck with them. There's a lot to be said for quiet cattle. Separated out 2 2yo's this am due to calf within the next fortnight and I was able to hold their tails while following them out to the "observation paddock" i.e. I can see them from the kitchen window :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

Just a photo showing the premium price of grass fed beef in the US. 50% price difference for the grass fed beef

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

dh1985 wrote: »
    Just a photo showing the premium price of grass fed beef in the US. 50% price difference for the grass fed beef

but its organic as well,how many fools over here would have organic meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

leg wax wrote: »
    but its organic as well,how many fools over here would have organic meat.
    im inclined to reach for the packet of salt when i see a US based label, kinda reminds me of Irish smoked produce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

And its not even from the US, imported from Uruguay and I can't imagine they're being paid full whack for their product..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ha I see your point but I'm stuck in the old way of a bit more size.
    the weanling will still be the same size afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Mind you, the $15.50 per lb for organic grass fed equates to about €11.35, not that much out of line with the ALDI price for a pound of Irish angus striploin, which may or may not be totally grass fed

• Advertisement

the weanling will still be the same size afterwards.
    id be with M 4 Simm on this , not for the size side of argument ,when dairying about 18 yrs back was discussing with Galway cousin the problem of repeats in 1st and 2nd calvers, which he had none of ,he reconed that my policy of calving at 2yr+ was causing the problem , he calves at 3 yrs or depending on weight at bulling time earlier if possible.so i changed system and suffered looking at them for and extra yr but it worked for me so im a bit reluctant to calve heifers now at 2yr

And its not even from the US, imported from Uruguay and I can't imagine they're being paid full whack for their product..
    bet its on cash or return basis too. ie if its not sold its returned and its paid for when they say it's sold allowing for risk of return and legal issues in case of claim,(food poisoning,bad taste etc) you know US litigation, all angles are covered bit like big Irish companies. didn't realize until lately that its only small to medium sized companies and farmers are subject to payment in 90 days legislation. actually didn't know such legislation existed,until i heard someone from SME association calling for issue to be dealt with re payment by multiples) or did i take it up wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Remember reading not too long ago about an argument where people were arguing about corn fed beef tasting better than grass fed because there was more fat in it. I'll see if I can find it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Monday's arrival
    C5A6D67D-802F-4EC3-998E-9EF7847563A2_zpsmqcsgiqr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

sandydan wrote: »
    id be with M 4 Simm on this , not for the size side of argument ,when dairying about 18 yrs back was discussing with Galway cousin the problem of repeats in 1st and 2nd calvers, which he had none of ,he reconed that my policy of calving at 2yr+ was causing the problem , he calves at 3 yrs or depending on weight at bulling time earlier if possible.so i changed system and suffered looking at them for and extra yr but it worked for me so im a bit reluctant to calve heifers now at 2yr

Whatever about calving at 2 1/2 calving at 3 year old is madness in my book. It costs the same to feed a 2 year old heifer as it does a 2 year old cow and you have nothing to show for it. Not only that but if she repeats a few times she gone over 30 months by the time she goes to the factory.

I have had no more hassle getting heifers back in calf if they are 2 or 2 1/2 at calving.
    There is a good chance she'll never make that extra calving up along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

$9.99/lb would be considered cheap for strip steak. Have seen it retail for $12.99/lb. Tbh beef is a minefield out here, no traceability or strictly enforced welfare standards. Ireland could make a killing supplying the North American market as a niche product but our representatives are incapable of building those relationships

J DEERE wrote: »
    $9.99/lb would be considered cheap for strip steak. Have seen it retail for $12.99/lb. Tbh beef is a minefield out here, no traceability or strictly enforced welfare standards. Ireland could make a killing supplying the North American market as a niche product but our representatives are incapable of building those relationships

are you sure some of them aren't from some of their overseas factories, knowing or should i say not knowing how many pies they have claws in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Hairy little lad born the middle of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nice animal indeed..

I see your username is apt for the photo background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

what weight would that calf be?? how long will you let him suck on for?

• Advertisement

limo_100 wrote: »
    what weight would that calf be?? how long will you let him suck on for?

230-240kg I'd say. Himself and a few more handy comrades will be weaned in the next week. Off the the winterage with the cows then and I have a bit of grass that the weanlings can graze along with a few kilos of meal for about a month. Then it's the winterage for them aswell.

230-240kg I'd say. Himself and a few more handy comrades will be weaned in the next week. Off the the winterage with the cows then and I have a bit of grass that the weanlings can graze along with a few kilos of meal for about a month. Then it's the winterage for them aswell.

i have a few late ones much the the same as him i was gona let them suck on till january are you weaning them because its handier for you with the winterage or do they do better being weaned?

limo_100 wrote: »
    i have a few late ones much the the same as him i was gona let them suck on till january are you weaning them because its handier for you with the winterage or do they do better being weaned?

If I could house them I'd let them suck for another start aswell but the cows will melt if I leave calves sucking them on the winterage. Better feeding the calf than trying to feed the cow with the calf sucking her. If I wean now should get away until the middle of January or maybe Feburary before the cows need anything.

If I could house them I'd let them suck for another start aswell but the cows will melt if I leave calves sucking them on the winterage. Better feeding the calf than trying to feed the cow with the calf sucking her. If I wean now should get away until the middle of January or maybe Feburary before the cows need anything.

they'll make nice little stores next april for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

LC, Iovely animal, I have a few like that off heifers this year, half thinking of selling them, did you consider selling them?

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    LC, Iovely animal, I have a few like that off heifers this year, half thinking of selling them, did you consider selling them?

I normally hold a few of the handier lads to sell in May, for cash flow as much as anything else really. The likes of him are a fairly good trade at the moment. Reckon he'd have made 750+ at the local mart earlier in the week. Heifers calf aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

you keeping them so?

Bodacious wrote: »
    you keeping them so?

Yip, they'll stay till next May now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I was in ennis about 3 weeks ago and chaps like him were an utter rob , fellows nearly fighting over them , the tanglers were looking on with mouths open

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I normally hold a few of the handier lads to sell in May, for cash flow as much as anything else really. The likes of him are a fairly good trade at the moment. Reckon he'd have made 750+ at the local mart earlier in the week. Heifers calf aswell.

I had his double in clifden 274kg, ADX heifers calf... big growth with a good end E700, took him home out of it

Sold yellows/whites no problem back on other years but still good trade, great value to be had in limos ( not great for sellers)

saw light red lim heifers

196kg 450
    194kg 445
    168kg 430
    184kg 440

wouldn't they be lookin for that on donedeal for sucks

Advertisement