Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    We had a great KT meeting recently on calf health. A qualified vet turned farm consultant/ advisor gave great info on topic of calf health. Amazing the energy young calves burn trying to keep themselves warm.

A suckler calf has a great fighing chance compared to his bucket rared comrade in this regard. A good mother will shelter him on the leeward side of her and once she is well fed, her body heat will heat him. Her milk also has a higher fat content for energy.

Contrast this to an often damp straw bed (knee test), poor drainage, poor ventilation, bad draught all in a big airy shed which they can't lift the stale air out of....

Would the calf jackets not help in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Reggie. wrote: »

Biggest thing is plenty straw. Have bark mulch under straw here calves doing fine on it helps keep pens a drier for longer. Plenty milk then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

We had a great KT meeting recently on calf health. A qualified vet turned farm consultant/ advisor gave great info on topic of calf health. Amazing the energy young calves burn trying to keep themselves warm.

A suckler calf has a great fighing chance compared to his bucket rared comrade in this regard. A good mother will shelter him on the leeward side of her and once she is well fed, her body heat will heat him. Her milk also has a higher fat content for energy.

Contrast this to an often damp straw bed (knee test), poor drainage, poor ventilation, bad draught all in a big airy shed which they can't lift the stale air out of....

Cows are very clever that way, I couldn't count the amount of times I spent a few hours looking for a young calf on a bad day only to find him stuck in a hedge under small blacthorns sleeping away and as dry as a cork. Very rarely have a case of pneumonia here and they are all out all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Recons a calf should be getting at least 900g of milk powder during cold weather. Also said rhe first few months of a calfs life are crucial. Scary the amount of calves that aren't putting on weight or very little... some as little as a kg.... a week. They will be a screw for life if not thriving from the get go.

He reckoned that there's something seriously wrong if you are using jackets and finding them good

Calves lying by a wall....... means straw is too wet. The wall zaps their and they'll get it hard to warm themselves. A draft of over 2m/sec a disaster too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Recons a calf should be getting at least 900g of milk powder during cold weather. Also said rhe first few months of a calfs life are crucial. Scary the amount of calves that aren't putting on weight or very little... some as little as a kg.... a week. They will be a screw for life if not thriving from the get go.

The "rearing" of calves by some people can be a very feeble attempt. Skimping at every turn. False economy if there ever was....

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

He reckoned that there's something seriously wrong if you are using jackets and finding them good

Calves lying by a wall....... means straw is too wet. The wall zaps their and they'll get it hard to warm themselves. A draft of over 2m/sec a disaster too

I've three jackets on the go on rotation, if calf born early in day and fully dry and good suck got he sound, lad the last night in that pic was big dopey and born at 11pm.. She lied down and cold was zapping the life out of him and he hadn't sucked, towelled him , jacket on and got him sucking and it saved his life for sure ..I'll pull it off him after this cold snap

I left a jacket on one lad and he grew so quick that the straps marked underneath his rear thighs! Couldn't get near him to let out some more slack !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Here's a Blonde calf out of a BFR x AA cow.

Thought Blonde would come much the same as Charolais so very surprised to see this lady

All sound, no picture :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭BigSteaks

jimmy G M wrote: »

Thought Blonde would come much the same as Charolais so very surprised to see this lady

You have better eye site than most of us. I cant see anything!

• Advertisement

BigSteaks wrote: »
    You have better eye site than most of us. I cant see anything!

Well puc this phone. Ill post later from the laptop

Well puc this phone. Ill post later from the laptop

No worries Jimmy, we are all having a few beers tonight. No school tomorrow :)

Finally...

Feeding a few out wintered heifers this evening. Twas Baltic.

Feeding a few out wintered heifers this evening. Twas Baltic.

Jesus super stock. Cant beat outwintering!

Jesus super stock. Cant beat outwintering!

Thx, buy around in around 20 in the autumn every year and out winter here and there on rented land. They don't get much, maybe 1kg nuts/barley a day and since Christmas a goal of hay as well.... old fashioned way of doing it maybe.

Thx, buy around in around 20 in the autumn every year and out winter here and there on rented land. They don't get much, maybe 1kg nuts/barley a day and since Christmas a goal of hay as well.... old fashioned way of doing it maybe.

No silage at all? What age do you buy them at? Look in great condition.

No silage at all? What age do you buy them at? Look in great condition.

These 5 getting hay and out on 7 acres. 15 more on 15 acres are getting bale of silage every 5 days since Christmas. All get a shake of nuts/barley every day since bought in. Kept in loose shed for 1st week til eating an then off.

I buy in November. Generally Lim & Charolais heifer
    s. Most are April & May born and not overdone. Average purchase price just over 700, average weight 250kg. Sell in October & repeat.

Keeping an eye out for a shed I could rent locally as more work in feeding these 20 than 100 in a shed. If I could find accommodation I'd prob keep them on till the following July and kill off grass.

No loss on them today, hopefully I can say the same tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭tanko

I see the neighbours Herefords broke in again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭sonnybill

No loss on them today, hopefully I can say the same tomorrow.

You kept a right scatter of heifers, all be kept for breeding ?

tanko wrote: »
    I see the neighbours Herefords broke in again!!!

He did, 4 calves out of him. Not delighted about it but they are all alive anyway. Won't complain too much.

sonnybill wrote: »
    You kept a right scatter of heifers, all be kept for breeding ?

No only keeping 2 or 3 out of it. I have an awful lot of heifers bulled tge last few years and the cows are fairly young overall. Only got clear a fortnight ago and sold 10 bullocks at home out of it. I'll go with some of the stronger ones now when it clears up a bit and hold 15 of the handy bullocks and heifers till June or July maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

No roof they said, be fine they said ha. Should be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lzf heifer out of lsp cow

Lzf heifer out of lsp cow

You trying to make me eat my words :D She's a grand one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No roof they said, be fine they said ha. Should be banned

Seriously, how did the cows fair on the outdoor cubicles? Will they just ly on the snow.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lzf bull . 15 months. He ruined his hair scratching on trees

Lzf bull . 15 months. He ruined his hair scratching on trees

He a pb? Fair fleshy lad. Iv two sim bulls here. Toying with the idea of changing one for a ch next year. Perhaps a culard, not sure yet. Something that would bring good lumps of weanings.

• Advertisement

Seriously, how did the cows fair on the outdoor cubicles? Will they just ly on the snow.

Don't know. It's off the ifj snap chat. They have to use allot of energy trying to stay warm. Roof would be far better don't care what they say.

Advertisement