Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

He a pb? Fair fleshy lad. Iv two sim bulls here. Toying with the idea of changing one for a ch next year. Perhaps a culard, not sure yet. Something that would bring good lumps of weanings.

Ya he is pure bred. Dont know where you'd get a culard. Bulls with high calving difficulty dont sell well at sales in general so you could pick something up not too dear thatd give good weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Who2

Ya he is pure bred. Dont know where you'd get a culard. Bulls with high calving difficulty dont sell well at sales in general so you could pick something up not too dear thatd give good weanlings

Theres a lad took in a load of them recently from france, A neighbour had one for years and had serious stock, but he became fairly handy with a calving jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Who2 wrote: »
    Theres a lad took in a load of them recently from france, A neighbour had one for years and had serious stock, but he became fairly handy with a calving jack.

You don’t have to go culard to get great weanlings.
    Lots of good bulls in AI & majority would have sons in the sales

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

the way Charolais breeding has gone there isnt much difference with a Culard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Grueller

What snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Grueller wrote: »
    What snow
    what snow are u on about the Sun is shining here😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Nice to see my big babies again :D:D
    This is a month old KZH bull, full brother of the bull I sold earlier in the year. Looks to be better nailed together and more arsey than his big bro though.
    Haywire hand for scale, glad to see he stayed semi-quiet!

PtfIosDl.jpgRL09EUbl.jpg

And of course teeny tiny.....burned him today, I'm not his friend any more.

gJ3CArOl.jpg

Am real fond of this girl, ZXT heifer, 5 weeks now, has shaped up so well since I last seen her. Such a brat but I like an animal with a bit of character!

mSEA6Vxl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Out for the count

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Calved 322 days ago. She's a dinger. Nice heifer calf. She'll be a keeper!

The little dinger is bulling again today. Wish they were all like that. Definitely keeping her heifer.

Took this girl out to the calving pen today so can get a proper look at her. She'll always be small- mother was a heifer, grandmother was a heifer- but she's actually fairly well nailed together and has a lovely bag forming. She's off THZ, not renowned for milk but guess I'll find out!

HfX4Tlxh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Took this girl out to the calving pen today so can get a proper look at her. She'll always be small- mother was a heifer, grandmother was a heifer- but she's actually fairly well nailed together and has a lovely bag forming. She's off THZ, not renowned for milk but guess I'll find out!

HfX4Tlxh.jpg

You'd be surprised biggest cow here is a heifers calf. Didn't stop growing till she was 4 years old id say. 6ft and I have to step on to the bars of the crush to ai her

Mooooo wrote: »
    You'd be surprised biggest cow here is a heifers calf. Didn't stop growing till she was 4 years old id say. 6ft and I have to step on to the bars of the crush to ai her

True! I've never seen a THZ cow so nothing to compare her too. Her mother is tiny as well though so that's what I'm basing it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

True! I've never seen a THZ cow so nothing to compare her too. Her mother is tiny as well though so that's what I'm basing it on.

Bought a THZ heifer late last year. She will only be a year old in May and will hold off putting her in calf until next year. She a fine block of an animal though and not at all small. Her figures are low for milk alright but everything else looks good.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Bought a THZ heifer late last year. She will only be a year old in May and will hold off putting her in calf until next year. She a fine block of an animal though and not at all small. Her figures are low for milk alright but everything else looks good.

This lady is 23 months, have her mother & sister here as well, all are pb non reg cause of their size. But produce nice calves so will see if the trait runs in the family i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

First day out.☺

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭roosterman71

First day out.☺

When would you recommend to do a job like that? What type of ground would justify it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

First day out.☺

What size are the tines?

When would you recommend to do a job like that? What type of ground would justify it?

Spring and autumn. Any ground really. It removes the dead grass from the pasture and helps the good grass to grow unrestricted. The fert from the dead grass rotting back into it helps the pasture too.

A few sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

A few sucks

Youll get a big cheque for the roan one, thats for sure. Top quality calves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

A few sucks

Great stock its a pity they are not out on grass:(

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Great stock its a pity they are not out on grass:(

They were for a few days, was going to put them back out tomorrow but not going by the forecast. Sheds here are full but I should get half the cattle out next week if it comes any way right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

First day out.☺

What's the big heavy bar at the back for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

First day out.☺

Well wear! Has there been cattle on that yet this year?

What's the big heavy bar at the back for?

It's the harrow stand for when it comes off

Reggie. wrote: »
    It's the harrow stand for when it comes off

Correct. 8mm i think Reggie. I will have to search for me vernier callipers.☺

Muckit wrote: »
    Well wear! Has there been cattle on that yet this year?

Cheers. Ya have 10 lightish weanlings out over a month now. Will chance some heavy cattle that have to finish for May next week.

Correct. 8mm i think Reggie. I will have to search for me vernier callipers.☺

8mm is the right size for that job. The einbocks had 6mm which were far too light

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Are those chain harrows any good for that job lads

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Are those chain harrows any good for that job lads

Chain harrows can do the job but need weight added like a gate or that but they wouldn't be as aggressive as a tine hsrrow

Advertisement