Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

High bike wrote: »
    Dont laugh Patsy but I had it here for 3 yrs ,hung up the holly in the shed last year and this year and no ringworm:pac:

Ha thought I was the only holly merchant!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Anybody ever see anything like this before. Nearly all the cattle have it but the white one is the worst. She has lesions on tail and hook bones aswell.

I treated them with spotinor a few weeks after housing but this flared up about 2 months back. I sprayed them with Taktick 3 weeks ago and that made no difference.

I had the same In cattle this year. Turned out to be mange. Treated with enovex

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

johnnyw20 wrote: »

The local chemist said the same thing and told me to treat them with taktick but I don't see any improvement. However, when I treated cattle I just blew a mist from power washer into shed and soaked them all. There is no way to say that the affected areas actually got hit with the taktic. I think I will make up another batch of it brush onto the worst affected areas

I have my doubts that it's ringworm. They are scratching an awful lot. You can even see she drew blood from scratching. Would ringworm cause that much scratching and all in adult cows

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭sonnybill

The local chemist said the same thing and told me to treat them with taktick but I don't see any improvement. However, when I treated cattle I just blew a mist from power washer into shed and soaked them all. There is no way to say that the affected areas actually got hit with the taktic. I think I will make up another batch of it brush onto the worst affected areas

I have my doubts that it's ringworm. They are scratching an awful lot. You can even see she drew blood from scratching. Would ringworm cause that much scratching and all in adult cows

I don't Think it's ringworm either as one did have ringworm and it's completely different but that orl den hair oil cured the ringworm and what was around eye and shoulder of another.. They clean as can be now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Anybody ever see anything like this before. Nearly all the cattle have it but the white one is the worst. She has lesions on tail and hook bones aswell.

I treated them with spotinor a few weeks after housing but this flared up about 2 months back. I sprayed them with Taktick 3 weeks ago and that made no difference.
    My calves have it this year (never before), it is ringworm isn’t it?

• Advertisement

croot wrote: »
    Hoping for a bit of warm weather soon because shed space is rapidly running out. These two calved at the weekend. After 5 attempts using AHC I finally got a heifer

446135.JPG

And then this monster landed. LZF heifer calf at 295 days. A fair pull with the jack but once the head came she wasn't to bad but I did have to put the ropes above the knees because she was the length of the jack at that stage. She is easily as big as calves born 3 weeks ago.

446134.JPG
    Lovely stock, LZF does carry allot
    How do you find the shavings for bedding compares to straw

johnnyw20 wrote: »

Would ivomec cure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Ha thought I was the only holly merchant!
    was a bit sceptical myself but said I’d try it and it going up every year from now on even if the neighbors think I’m a bit ott putting christmas decorations up for the cattle:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

that heifer is a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Would ivomec cure it?

It's either ringworm or sarcoptic mange but I'd be edging more towards ringworm as it appears to be in circles on the animals- mange isn't as fussy how it spreads.
    Noromectin cures mange too if you want a cheaper option than ivomec but doesn't do ringworm.

• Advertisement

Would ivomec cure it?

It's either ringworm or sarcoptic mange but I'd be edging more towards ringworm as it appears to be in circles on the animals- mange isn't as fussy how it spreads.
    Noromectin cures mange too if you want a cheaper option than ivomec but doesn't do ringworm.
    I’ll throw up a pic if I get a chance this evening
    How long would it take to cure mange?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

The shavings last longer and are probably cleaner but it is dear enough. Its €16 per bay but I couldn't get any straw anyway. Only problem is when a cow is calving the calf is covered in them.

Ideally straw at calving and the lie back area for the calves would be shavings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I’ll throw up a pic if I get a chance this evening
    How long would it take to cure mange?

I'm not 100% sure which it is, looks like it could be either from the pics tbh. Mange is very contagious though so if it's that you'd want to clean the pens or it'll return.
    You could take two and treat one for ringworm and one for mange, see which responds! Maybe greysides or the man in red and black could help diagnose?

Looking for advice
    Is this Ringworm or Mange?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Looking for advice
    Is this Ringworm or Mange?
    Looks like ringworm to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Ringworm is a fungus check yourself for red patches after you shower.
    There used to be an in feed control for cattle I dont know if its still available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Ringworm is a fungus check yourself for red patches after you shower.
    There used to be an in feed control for cattle I dont know if its still available
    It was called fulcin (sp) and it was withdrawn years ago due to human health concerns.

Base price wrote: »
    It was called fulcin (sp) and it was withdrawn years ago due to human health concerns.

Imaverol was mentioned here, I’ll use that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    12 month old weanling Bulls, out of ardlea Dan stock bull, 2 are out of the lmxfr cows. Hopefully going in the next 2 weeks

ADX was a great bull to bring width

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is he not still around? I used him a lot when I did all AI. Big fan. No milk though.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Is he not still around? I used him a lot when I did all AI. Big fan. No milk though.

Have a cow here by him. Not the worst by any stretch of the imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ah I'd say there is still straws knocking about.
    Agree about milk but super terminal sire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Ah I'd say there is still straws knocking about.
    Agree about milk but super terminal sire.

I'm keeping heifers from him that are out of the LMxFR, so they will be - 25% HCA, 25% FR*HO & 50% ADX, it will be interesting to see what kind of milk they will bring.

It's a bloody long experiment though.

I'm thinking going forward of buying in....we'll see as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have 2 ADX cows here. I have their mothers also. I'll take photos of all 4 udders and you can see how the milk reduces.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I have 2 ADX cows here. I have their mothers also. I'll take photos of all 4 udders and you can see how the milk reduces.

Yep kept a ADX daughter from an old FRxAAx CH that was a great milker but ADX daughter is no use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just when I think my cattle can't get any stupider...
    UiWPKN0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

UiWPKN0.jpg

Least yours didn't do it 3 weeks after it was harvested....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Siesta day

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

UiWPKN0.jpg

A fair achievement to even find a pit with silage in it to jump on these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

UiWPKN0.jpg

You've so much silage you dont have room for the cattle.

Advertisement