Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Tiny's trying to beat the world record for calf growth. 7 weeks old :D

jG2fAZJl.jpg

Is this a cross jupiter calf ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Is this a cross jupiter calf ??

He is indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

jG2fAZJl.jpg

Any sign of the blond cow incalf to culard?

Any sign of the blond cow incalf to culard?

Not due for 6 weeks or so yet. Least she's on diet rations already! Have a second blonde off a pb lm due this month too. She's the replacement if anything happens to the first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Happy sucks. Touch wood have had no setback with calves so far this year, makes such a difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

jG2fAZJl.jpg
    Looks more like 7mts he’s a topper:D

High bike wrote: »
    Looks more like 7mts he’s a topper:D

Just a pity he's not out the field at this time of year. Hate seeing them stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Just a pity he's not out the field at this time of year. Hate seeing them stuck in.
    Thats for sure and be healthier too but unless u live on top of a mountain it’s prob still wet like every where else:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

High bike wrote: »
    Thats for sure and be healthier too but unless u live on top of a mountain it’s prob still wet like every where else:(

I can tell ya it’s wet up here too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Some yearling bullocks out grazing this eve. Out about 2 weeks now. Field is wet enough, but no choice at this stage. Hopefully things will start to dry up from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Late December calf. Really did well since I put him on some meal.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Eby bull calf out of cwi heifer
    448214.jpg
    Eby heifer out of cwi heifer also. Duturw replacement hopefully,looks good on icbf
    448215.jpg
    448216.png

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Never bought anything there so can't say pasty, last few times I was there there were very little farmers buying or actually in around the ring at all. The commission is a joke there and you have to wait 2 weeks for the cheque aswell. Them heifers will be going to ennis soon enough again, I'll let you know the difference in price.

I found Gort to dear to buy in last September and had better luck in Ennis. Gort is not cheap to buy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Eby bull calf out of cwi heifer

Eby heifer out of cwi heifer]

Eby throws lovely cattle. You have 2 fine calves there. What are your CWI cows like for milk? I culled one that was very poor milker

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Eby throws lovely cattle. You have 2 fine calves there. What are your CWI cows like for milk? I culled one that was very poor milker

The one that has the heifer calf is a good milker.
    The one with bull calf is poor but she is rearing a good calf and he's not even stealing off other cows. Shes only 2 year old also.
    Have another cwi out of freisiam cow that has plenty milk also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

The one that has the heifer calf is a good milker.
    The one with bull calf is poor but she is rearing a good calf and he's not even stealing off other cows. Shes only 2 year old also.
    Have another cwi out of freisiam cow that has plenty milk also

Sometimes it's not about the size of the bag! It's about what's in it. I'd score my cows milk not solely and the udder but more importantly the job they do on the calf.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Sometimes it's not about the size of the bag! It's about what's in it. I'd score my cows milk not solely and the udder but more importantly the job they do on the calf.

100% agree! I have a CWI second calver and her bag isn't big at all. but this was her calf after a feed :D

100% agree! I have a CWI second calver and her bag isn't big at all. but this was her calf after a feed :D

Love to see that myself. I bet that lads tail is doing some RPM's during a suck.

Love to see that myself. I bet that lads tail is doing some RPM's during a suck.

Indeed! I was trying to sneak up on him to tag him for the genomics scheme so i wouldn't have to catch him. Failed! Though I somehow got the crazy saler done.

Indeed! I was trying to sneak up on him to tag him for the genomics scheme so i wouldn't have to catch him. Failed! Though I somehow got the crazy saler done.

Sure tis the quite ones you have to watch. No genomics tags here yet. As soon as I turn cattle loose to the outfarm they'll arrive of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Who2

I spent 40 minutes chasing a calf around a paddock yesterday,less than five took everything else in but this lad wouldn’t go through the gate. Two yearlings left to be genomically tagged and I’ve them done thank god.

Sure tis the quite ones you have to watch. No genomics tags here yet. As soon as I turn cattle loose to the outfarm they'll arrive of course
    Who2 wrote: »
    I spent 40 minutes chasing a calf around a paddock yesterday,less than five took everything else in but this lad wouldn’t go through the gate. Two yearlings left to be genomically tagged and I’ve them done thank god.

I put the wee saler in the crush to burn her and she squeezed through the headlock gate on the smallest setting....and it didn't spring shut! Then closed it fully and she went through the bars of the calving gate :pac: So tagging her while sucking was a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Who2

I put the wee saler in the crush to burn her and she squeezed through the headlock gate on the smallest setting....and it didn't spring shut! Then closed it fully and she went through the bars of the calving gate :pac: So tagging her while sucking was a surprise!

does surprises often leave me with a bit of ear along with the taggers and tags in my hand. Pack them tight now with a couple of gates inside the crush or the odd kamokazie dive on top of them for the one that gets away.

I know a fella that drinks a pint of Guinness like that. If he had a tail he'd wag it too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I've a cow here and you'd swear there's not a cup full of milk to the bag, but she's reared the nicest heifer calves in the herd 3 years running now.

Get out & stay out!

L9wyOBll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Get out & stay out!

L9wyOBll.jpg

Looks good. Did that get a run of the flail early on?

mayota wrote: »
    Looks good. Did that get a run of the flail early on?

Surprisingly no, it's a side we've been working on continuously with the topper & licker. It's hill facing the open west so dries fast too. The lower parts which you can just see are more in need of the mulcher right now.

Not the star of the show for once :rolleyes:;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Savage day here. Got the winterage all leveled and grass seed out on any bare spots.
    Weapons of choice in final photo.☺

Advertisement