Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    By dug do you mean a springing?

Around here;

Dug = Udder
    Cleaning = placenta
    Beastings = Colostrum
    Tits = Teats

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Speaking of springing, Odd-Ear the second is springing up well, few days over to a saler. This girl is a KOY blonde off a Tarot cow.

I dunno - can only see the rear end!

Shots like that could get us in trouble ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

gozunda wrote: »
    I dunno - can only see the rear end!

Shots like that could get us in trouble ...;)

Ugh, thought i'd attached two pics. This is why I prefer to embed on the laptop, can always see whats posted. I'll get the other one up later when i'm at the house.

Ugh, thought i'd attached two pics. This is why I prefer to embed on the laptop, can always see whats posted. I'll get the other one up later when i'm at the house.

Here she is in the middle! Obligatory fat Odd-Ear beside her.
    B0fEL6Ll.jpg

And a half sister to the blonde heifer, pb 3yr old this time, due Thursday.

xMwme3sl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭tanko

CSQ second calver, XCD heifer calf.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »

MY BABY! How is she tanko? Do you still give her bedtime kisses? :D

Nice wee heifer too, did you sell last years?

She’s grand, still as well behaved as ever.
    Eh, no comment to that second question!!!!
    Still have last years Earp heifer, i think i’ll keep her on.

She’s grand, still as well behaved as ever.
    Eh, no comment to that second question!!!!
    Still have last years Earp heifer, i think i’ll keep her on.

How's she for milk this year? Might have to come and buy one of those heifers of hers back off you sometime :D
    She kept very well to the time too, calved around 20th April last year too didn't she.

Ah she’s never going to be a milky cow but she’ll have enough to do i think. It’s nice to have one quiet cow around the place.
    Hmmm, i dont know about that but you’d never know. I think i’ll try another Sim on her this year again hopefully.

Yeah, 15th this year, 20th last year.

Ah she’s never going to be a milky cow but she’ll have enough to do i think. It’s nice to have one quiet cow around the place.
    Hmmm, i dont know about that but you’d never know. I think i’ll try another Sim on her this year again hopefully.

She's looking well anyway! May she have all the heifers you want :D:D

• Advertisement

She's looking well anyway! May she have all the heifers you want :D:D

Thanks, if she has another 15 or 20 calves i might break even on her purchase price!!!!!

Thanks, if she has another 15 or 20 calves i might break even on her purchase price!!!!!

Spoken like a true cavan man :D think of how cheap she is for her quietness. Worth a months supply of Zanex for your nerves chasing mad lims and salers about the place!

This lad was born in about 30 seconds this morning. Moved her to the calving pen at 2 sick of calving, checked her at 4.15 & 2 feet. Mooched around the place keeping an eye on her & one of those lucky moments as he was born so quickly the veil was still over his head.

Wwxd5Bpl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This lad was born in about 30 seconds this morning. Moved her to the calving pen at 2 sick of calving, checked her at 4.15 & 2 feet. Mooched around the place keeping an eye on her & one of those lucky moments as he was born so quickly the veil was still over his head....

That happened here once. Luckily I was just around the corner when I heard the cow moaning as she pushed it out. Calf was completely covered in the afterbirth. I take it they wouldnt survive long like this.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

How do you rate csq? Bought a young csq bull hopefully he'll bring good muscle and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

Great calf's off xcd have few I will breed out of this year. Had problems getting his straws this year so got si4383 instead for heifers.

valtra2 wrote: »
    Great calf's off xcd have few I will breed out of this year. Had problems getting his straws this year so got si4383 instead for heifers.

Have eleven XCD calves here so far this year and am very happy with them.
    I was thinking about giving Derreen Declan a go this year also.
    Clonagh Frosty King in PG is a full brother to XCD but he might be a bit strong for heifers i think.

How do you rate csq? Bought a young csq bull hopefully he'll bring good muscle and style.

I dont know much about him, you might be better asking the “lady”, #cough#cough# that bred that cow about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Have eleven XCD calves here so far this year and am very happy with them.
    I was thinking about giving Derreen Declan a go this year also.
    Clonagh Frosty King in PG is a full brother to XCD but he might be a bit strong for heifers i think.

Hard to pass 50 cent or popes barclay for heifers. Popes barclay is eurogene and €30 a straw though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Miscle but mayne not style imo. Big calves at birth also

• Advertisement

Hard to pass 50 cent or popes barclay for heifers. Popes barclay is eurogene and €30 a straw though.

Have a nice fifty cent heifer calf from a FZF second calver.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I dont know much about him, you might be better asking the “lady”, #cough#cough# that bred that cow about him.

She ain't much of a lady

Reggie. wrote: »
    She ain't much of a lady

Pfft, lady. Why be a lady when I can drink beer, burp and pull calves. Can do all at once if it's a Sat night too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Pfft, lady. Why be a lady when I can drink beer, burp and pull calves. Can do all at once if it's a Sat night too :cool:

See

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Have a nice fifty cent heifer calf from a FZF second calver.
    Was looking at him looks a. nice bull with good figures, would he be ok on 1st time calvers do u think?

High bike wrote: »
    Was looking at him looks a. nice bull with good figures, would he be ok on 1st time calvers do u think?

Personally i wouldnt put Sims on heifers, usually use Salers instead but im fairly cautious wirh bull choices but im sure lots of people will put him on heifers.
    Will have one more fifty cent calf in two or three weeks out of a very small second calver that i had to jack a KYA bull out of last year so it’ll be interesting to see if she calves herself this time.

Personally i wouldnt put Sims on heifers, usually use Salers instead but im fairly cautious wirh bull choices but im sure lots of people will put him on heifers.
    Will have one more fifty cent calf in two or three weeks out of a very small second calver that i had to jack a KYA bull out of last year so it’ll be interesting to see if she calves herself this time.
    if you had to Jack a Kya calf u better keep the Jack at hand again😀

if you had to Jack a Kya calf u better keep the Jack at hand again😀

True but he was a muscley block of a calf at birth and she was only 24 months old and a bit on the small side. He didnt grow much since.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,622 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

if you had to Jack a Kya calf u better keep the Jack at hand again��
    Had to jack one on a british friesian 3rd calver last year, it was a massive calf

• Advertisement

True but he was a muscley block of a calf at birth and she was only 24 months old and a bit on the small side. He didnt grow much since.
    used him on 24 my old it’s time calvers last year and they spat em out

Advertisement