Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

High bike wrote: »
    if you had to Jack a Kya calf u better keep the Jack at hand again😀

Yeah but with a bulk used so much even if 99% calving difficulty figure there is always the chance of the 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

:):)
    Fresh outta the oven!

pAcPIfWh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Summer here at last. Ran the chain harrow over the small paddock near the shed. You had to drag your boots through this during the winter.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Transplanted this whitethorn bush last march 12 months. All last year it was dead. This year it came back to life.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

:):)
    Fresh outta the oven!

That's a nice stand of a chestnut foal.
    Good model.

• Advertisement

That's a nice stand of a chestnut foal.
    Good model.

Lovely blaze on her as well, have had an eye on her myself but sure every chestnut mare i've ridden has daft tendencies :pac:

New Mammy wasn't too impressed with her wanting to play with the new foal too!:D

nkWxtEZh.jpg

4aMgsUjh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Transplanted this whitethorn bush last march 12 months. All last year it was dead. This year it came back to life.

Seen that here with a few of them myself. Nearly pulled them outta the ground earlier in the year

Lovely blaze on her as well, have had an eye on her myself but sure every chestnut mare i've ridden has daft tendencies :pac:

Handle them when they're young. The earlier the better. Get them used to leading properly and feet picked with mammy. Then forget about them until they come back into the house in the winter and give them a comrade of their own age for the winter.

Now saying all that a bad finicky temperament is heredity too.

You can always mostly tell how a foal between 3 - 6 weeks will turn out when it's finished growing. Outside of that and they're ugly ducklings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does anyone on here have any experience with Stabiliser cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Only experience I have is a neighbour got a stockbull and he was harder calved than expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Yes we have bred to stabiliser since 2011 if you want to visit pm me you are more than welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Yes we have bred to stabiliser since 2011 if you want to visit pm me you are more than welcome.

Can I come too!!! My claim to fame is I met Edward rook once :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

Reared calves for the first time last year starting out with 6 of them. Fairly proud of this lad, weighing 420kg. He’s 13 and half months. Banded him last week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

grassroot1 wrote: »

Thanks - just looking for some general feedback on the breed. When do you calf them? Do you feed them all meal (inc cows) or just those you are finishing? How many interventions do you perform during calving? Are they all docile or are there some flighty ones in the breed? Do you cross them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Reared calves for the first time last year starting out with 6 of them. Fairly proud of this lad, weighing 420kg. He’s 13 and half months. Banded him last week

And we'll you can be proud. And a tasty job done on that she'd in the background as well.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    And we'll you can be proud. And a tasty job done on that she'd in the background as well.

Thanks. Shed had trees growing out of it so it’s nice to have it restored now on land we bought 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Impressive animal. But I'm equally impressed with the restoration of that shed. Fair play. Would have been very easy to pull it down. But that looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Thanks. Shed had trees growing out of it so it’s nice to have it restored now on land we bought 3 years ago

How ya find the banding on the stronger cattle?

How ya find the banding on the stronger cattle?

First time I ever had it done. I think it’s a right job. No set back to the cattle and they have thrived along great since they were done 10 days ago. It’s quicker than squeezing too

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Some heifers for AI this summer. Will use Blonde, Piedmontese and for one AngusxSalers.
    DSCF3061.jpg
    DSCF3080.jpg
    DSCF3083.jpg
    DSCF3088.jpg
    And one of the elder heifers. She has injured her right back leg after weaning and we had doubts about keeping her. Luckily she's doing fine now. She's incalf to Angus, due in November. Would have been very sad to cull her.
    DSCF3005_1.jpg
    DSCF3002_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Top quality as usual. I love seeing your cattle. That last heifer is a beaut

Superb golodge, really like seeing photos from you. Like that first animal in particular. :)

Got this pic for L1985 in particular, worried about her teen cow. This girl here on the right was a well fed blue who calved to a ch bull at 16 months. That red calf is now her 4th and not had to have a hand to help calve any year so far.
    The girl on the left is the first calf in question, now a second calver herself! :D Or is it third, I get confused with them.

Jeez, just looking at that pic now, must take a look at her head, she wasn't dehorned as a calf and might need to get those chopped off.

ZwJVZfzh.jpg?1

ukQd76yh.jpg?1

Not sure where to post?

But I think I missed a trick if these guys are getting funding.

https://youtu.be/G1WZloWgpAw

60t of basalt here going out next week.

Superb golodge, really like seeing photos from you. Like that first animal in particular. :)
    Thanks. The first heifer is 75%Limo, 12.5%Char. Will use an easy calving Blonde on her. Her dam should have bbx calf next year, hopefully a heifer.

We had two teen cows too. Both calved at 15 months age. Both were really small at calving, maybe 400kgs.
    One was mainly Angus, with some Limo and blue. Got incalf by our AngusxCharx bull. Had a 30kg heifer very easily. Sold the cow after her 4th calf, weighed almost 600kgs taken straight from the calf. Her calf weaned at 303kgs at 6months age. Was a really good cow, never had to assist calving (usually her calves were around 50kgs at birth) and despite her tiny udder, calves were growing like weeds. Have both her heifers in the herd and they are very good cows too.
    Another was Limo, Char, Angus cross mainly. Got incalf by pbr Limousine. Had to assist her calving abit, but it needed just one person and ropes. She is still in the herd, 4th calver, had almost 50kgs bull calf unassisted this year, just like her previous two calves. Have her first daughter in the herd, waiting for her second calf. Great udders and calving abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Pain the hole of a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Pain the hole of a year

True that. That looks like some ground around there. Is that around the Macroom coachford area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Pain the hole of a year

Are they full bulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

298 days and still waiting

• Advertisement

High bike wrote: »
    298 days and still waiting

Powerful cow. There's a funny lip on her!

Advertisement