Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Powerful cow. There's a funny lip on her!
    didnt notice till now was concentrating on the other end lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

High bike wrote: »
    didnt notice till now was concentrating on the other end lol

Prob just caught her about to lick her nose! hope she calves ok for you, she's the cerberus one isn't she?

Prob just caught her about to lick her nose! hope she calves ok for you, she's the cerberus one isn't she?
    thats her she's a sympa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭tanko

298 days and still waiting

Had a Lim cow calve a Sim bull last week, went 304 days.
    305 days is the record here.

What is yours in calf to?

tanko wrote: »

willodge Cerberus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

At this craic today.

cQ4YzyT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    True that. That looks like some ground around there. Is that around the Macroom coachford area?

Only fair ground. We don't fatten cattle there. The sea is about 4 miles behind the camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Are they full bulls?

Ya planwas to squeeze and sell them but decided knowing our luck we'd get locked up. Going go put them in 1st July

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just about ready to ride a bike on it. :)

ZnLZBiC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Thanks - just looking for some general feedback on the breed. When do you calf them? Do you feed them all meal (inc cows) or just those you are finishing? How many interventions do you perform during calving? Are they all docile or are there some flighty ones in the breed? Do you cross them?

1st Feb to 17 March
    Meals to weanlings only (cows did get meal this year)
    Very little intervention with cows, a little with the heifers calving at 24 months
    as with all breeds some strains are easier to calve than others.
    They are a very quiet breed in general have not had a wild one yet anyway
    Issues feet can be a problem and some strains lack milk I feel.
    Ideally suited to an integrated herd.

• Advertisement

Cerberus bull I think aftet 302 days,mammy won't allow closer inspection��

Was looking at him looks a. nice bull with good figures, would he be ok on 1st time calvers do u think?

From the two heifer calves here off fifty cent from second calvers id say he would be ok for heifers. This KJB cow only went 275 days, the other one was 279.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

From the two heifer calves here off fifty cent from second calvers id say he would be ok for heifers. This KJB cow only went 275 days, the other one was 279.

It's mad too really. Nearly 4 weeks difference between your calf and high bikes. I really think we should be focusing on shorter gestations for our suckler Bulls.

lovely markings on that lady

It's mad too really. Nearly 4 weeks difference between your calf and high bikes. I really think we should be focusing on shorter gestations for our suckler Bulls.
    some difference all right

lovely markings on that lady

Yeah, she has. This is her grandmother with a nice On-Dit heifer this year.

obviously plenty milk in that line who has on dit ?

obviously plenty milk in that line who has on dit ?

PG had him but he’s gone now i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Never seem to have too many outliers 283-293 would have 95% of them I'd say

Never seem to have too many outliers 283-293 would have 95% of them I'd say
    everything else here this year was less than 290 days tg

• Advertisement

2Y7H9aGl.jpg

Add on a year :pac:

TBH, I didn't think much of this lady when she was born. Am happily proved wrong.

FE15E03l.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Doing a complete Doogle on it now, but is it just me or did that cow get smaller ? :D

Muckit wrote: »
    Doing a complete Doogle on it now, but is it just me or did that cow get smaller ? :D

Shes just further away!

Shes just further away!
    i thought far away cows had long horns😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Add on a year :pac:

TBH, I didn't think much of this lady when she was born. Am happily proved wrong.

FE15E03l.jpg?2

My god that is some difference. Not being smart but if I walked in and saw a cow after dropping a calf like that I'd say I'd puke. It looks like a cross between a cow and some kind of antelope. But tis amazing the way well bred cattle will come right as they mature. An ounce of breeding an all that.

i thought far away cows had long horns��

I thought they were greener? :P
    TITANIUM. wrote: »
    My god that is some difference. Not being smart but if I walked in and saw a cow after dropping a calf like that I'd say I'd puke. It looks like a cross between a cow and some kind of antelope. But tis amazing the way well bred cattle will come right as they mature. An ounce of breeding an all that.

Well it was our first time using a saler so I was wondering wtf I had done. Heifer had been small enough when inseminating so that's why I didn't use a limo but when I seen that wee yoke I was a bit peeved! More like a fawn than a calf as you say. But am impressed with her now, good bit of AI breeding behind her alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Have calved Salers here and you'd be ashamed to show people what the calves look like, absolute rats! Turn into fine cattle though once they get going

Have calved Salers here and you'd be ashamed to show people what the calves look like, absolute rats! Turn into fine cattle though once they get going

Have two this year, heifer & a bull. Bull got a setback with scour so will be interesting to see how he thrives on & most importantly how he sells in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Junior having a stretch yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Hey Tanko,how do you find On Dit as a cow maker?have a heifer off a purebred simm out of him and I wouldn’t be too impressed,she is very leggy and tall.Do they fill out with age?She is 5 months old

Advertisement