Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bodacious wrote: »
    I had his double in clifden 274kg, ADX heifers calf... big growth with a good end E700, took him home out of it

Sold yellows/whites no problem back on other years but still good trade, great value to be had in limos ( not great for sellers)

saw light red lim heifers

196kg 450
    194kg 445
    168kg 430
    184kg 440

wouldn't they be lookin for that on donedeal for sucks

Very weak, got 800 for a few 250kg Bulls on Monday. All farmers buying though with a few lads that would have bought a lot of stock from us over the years driving them on. In fairness they might not have been cheap but coming out of our place if the seen any bit of good ground they thrive like hell. No meal got either. Was half looking out for a nice lim heifer or 2 320kg plus but they were going crazy money for the few that suited. Way better value in 400kg year and a Hals at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Very weak, got 800 for a few 250kg Bulls on Monday. All farmers buying though with a few lads that would have bought a lot of stock from us over the years driving them on. In fairness they might not have been cheap but coming out of our place if the seen any bit of good ground they thrive like hell. No meal got either. Was half looking out for a nice lim heifer or 2 320kg plus but they were going crazy money for the few that suited. Way better value in 400kg year and a Hals at the moment.

that's great money.. ive mine weaned a month and been eating so couldn't take 700 for that lad.

think is there a better trade for limos in clare?

I wouldn't think so, just happened to be a good sale with plenty of farmers on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We're fairly proud of our Olaf pumpkin we carved last night :D

10636277_1573177246228648_5845583433708758643_n.jpg?oh=f43b0c3163e35ca0cec9cf3f9d751ce8&oe=54EBDDF8&__gda__=1424186514_e8f344c0f2ddea6c26af542e7cb6496a

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I had his double in clifden 274kg, ADX heifers calf... big growth with a good end E700, took him home out of it

Sold yellows/whites no problem back on other years but still good trade, great value to be had in limos ( not great for sellers)

saw light red lim heifers

196kg 450
    194kg 445
    168kg 430
    184kg 440

wouldn't they be lookin for that on donedeal for sucks
    If I get a chance I might head to Clifden next friday , I would have taken them heifers at that money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Brass Tag

Can't understand the big price differential between nice quality red lim weanlings versus yellow charolais??
    If you were selling again as 18 month stores, the difference is not there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Brass Tag wrote: »
    Can't understand the big price differential between nice quality red lim weanlings versus yellow charolais??
    If you were selling again as 18 month stores, the difference is not there!!
    The difference is there in weight gain, ive both a charlaois and limo bull here, only limo till last year but had ai'd a few. the charlaois left 200 more in weanlings and stores from last years sales. the limos didnt respond as well to meal either. i cant actually believe im saying that as i am a staunch limo supporter, but the last two years have really left me wondering whether i was even on the right book let alone page. Good square orange charlaois's are just the choices of most of the finishers around the north east.
    A prime example was i had two calves born the same day a couple of years back, one was a yellow charlaois and one a limo from 2 fairly even cows. the yellow charlaois weighed 140 kgs heavier at 18 months and had twice as many lads looking for her. the limo was a classier looking heifer in my eyes, but there werent the lads there for her.

Miname wrote: »
    The difference is there in weight gain, ive both a charlaois and limo bull here, only limo till last year but had ai'd a few. the charlaois left 200 more in weanlings and stores from last years sales. the limos didnt respond as well to meal either. i cant actually believe im saying that as i am a staunch limo supporter, but the last two years have really left me wondering whether i was even on the right book let alone page. Good square orange charlaois's are just the choices of most of the finishers around the north east.
    A prime example was i had two calves born the same day a couple of years back, one was a yellow charlaois and one a limo from 2 fairly even cows. the yellow charlaois weighed 140 kgs heavier at 18 months and had twice as many lads looking for her. the limo was a classier looking heifer in my eyes, but there werent the lads there for her.
    Agreed with all of that, have a neighbour That I'd be friendly with farming similar quality land and cows calving the same time and his charolais calves are always way heavier than our limos. Have stuck with the lims for the last few years though because I wanted to breed in the right type of a cow to cross with a charolais.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

just saw this item in Farmers Journal. thought it might be something to watch out for esp if trees are plentiful around farm.
    Yew tree toxicity leaves five bullocks dead.
    must say ive never heard of problem before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

sandydan wrote: »
    just saw this item in Farmers Journal. thought it might be something to watch out for esp if trees are plentiful around farm.
    Yew tree toxicity leaves five bullocks dead.
    must say ive never heard of problem before.

Yew trees are indeed toxic for livestock. Luckily this evergreen species is rarely found on farmland and is more a feature of large formal gardens,churches and graveyards where it was planted for decorative/religious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Bullocks wrote: »
    If I get a chance I might head to Clifden next friday , I would have taken them heifers at that money

Clifden mart is collecting the IFA levy now, just so ye know.

Can't you tell them to stop it though ? I thought all marts stop it unless you tell them otherwise

Can't you tell them to stop it though ? I thought all marts stop it unless you tell them otherwise

Yes, you can tell them in the office if you want it stopped. Otherwise, it's automatically collected (without asking you first) and the first thing you'll know about it is on your docket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,438 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tell the office before you sell or buy to stop the payment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What mart was that LC? They were doing well to make over 400 with their weight in Ennis on Tues

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Stupid question but did they not always collect it??
    I thought that all marts/factories/dairies/granaries etc automatically collected the EIF levy since its inception.

Base price wrote: »
    Stupid question but did they not always collect it??
    I thought that all marts/factories/dairies/granaries etc automatically collected the EIF levy since its inception.

No, they didn't. Got IFA text earlier in Summer about Clifden Mart so I asked manager if they were collecting levy and he confirmed.

Maam Cross doesn't collect it.

No, they didn't. Got IFA text earlier in Summer about Clifden Mart so I asked manager if they were collecting levy and he confirmed.

Neither does tullamore

Reggie. wrote: »
    Neither does tullamore
    Over the years in my life, from time to time I have been left astounded.
    This is one of those times.
    As I posted earlier I always thought the EIF levy was deducted irrespective of the location/situation.
    If ye don't mind me asking - how come your local marts/factories got away with it until now??

As I posted earlier I always thought the EIF levy was deducted irrespective of the location/situation.
    If ye don't mind me asking - how come your local marts/factories got away with it until now??

No idea to be honest

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    What mart was that LC? They were doing well to make over 400 with their weight in Ennis on Tues

Kilfenora.

how come your local marts/factories got away with it until now??

Got away with?

Got away with?
    Not in any derogatory term and apologies if I inferred same.
    I understood that all marts/slaughter facilities/ processors were overseen by Dept of Agri staff.

Not in any derogatory term and apologies if I inferred same.
    I understood that all marts/slaughter facilities/ processors were overseen by Dept of Agri staff.

What does the IFA levy have to do with Dept staff :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I think with your level of SFP(which most people on here could only dream about) and the extraordinary effort IFA put in protecting active farmers entitlements, I think your little campaign on the EIF is starting to sound a little petty minded..don't you.
    Subtract about 40% and you'll see what you'd get if Commisioner Ciolos had his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,471 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Neither does tullamore
    Ardee doesnt either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

PHOTO thread. :mad:

Here ya go Pat , twins born on friday . The cow has only two tits unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 29,471 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Here ya go Pat , twins born on friday . The cow has only two tits unfortunately
    has she enough milk for them?

• Advertisement

PHOTO thread. :mad:
    Sorry.

Advertisement