Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Might buy a couple & leave them with my others until I see a few :)

I've seen very good stock by CLOUGHHEAD UMPIRE (UPI) at Premier Lim sales but his locomotion figures are in the bottom 1%. That would put me off big time. I hate to see cattle waddling along. It looks bad on a breeding bull too.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I've seen very good stock by CLOUGHHEAD UMPIRE (UPI) at Premier Lim sales but his locomotion figures are in the bottom 1%. That would put me off big time. I hate to see cattle waddling along. It looks bad on a breeding bull too.

I must learn how to go a bit more in dept into the figures like that. You wouldn't want to put him on a bad type on locko so.

A lot of the UK Lim bulls fall down badly on individual traits. That's what happens when you pick untested bulls that look picture perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Upi heifer with alfy in the background. Aied her with a saler. She is pbr.

Jan born son of ardlea Dan pictures don’t do him justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

But he ain't anything special yet! He's a nice calf but I see lots of nice calves at shows too. Very hard to judge a calf at a day old, never mind a few hours old. Must see if i can get him eating a bit of crunch or nuts, haven't seen him in the creep with the older ones yet.

Milky cow is giving him a great start.
    What’s the best nut / crunch to help fill him out as he grows

Try again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

A lot of the UK Lim bulls fall down badly on individual traits. That's what happens when you pick untested bulls that look picture perfect.

I'm not great at looking at those sort of traits tbh. I'm a Tinder sort of bull picker. If he looks good, I swipe right :D:D
    Milky cow is giving him a great start.
    What’s the best nut / crunch to help fill him out as he grows

Have a pallet of 17% super calf nuts from P&V already in the shed. So that's what he'll be getting when he does decide to go into the creep feeder.

I'm not great at looking at those sort of traits tbh. I'm a Tinder sort of bull picker. If he looks good, I swipe right :D:D

Have a pallet of 17% super calf nuts from P&V already in the shed. So that's what he'll be getting when he does decide to go into the creep feeder.
    Would some of them pedigree / show feeds be any better (Smyths Greenvale etc)

Not a huge fan of ration tbh, find it can be very dusty in some bags. At least with the nut we've no crows or dust left in the trough. I'm sure a case could be made that it's proven to be better etc but for the price difference I'm not pushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Wasn't there an old trick the show lads fed young stock to get them looking their best for a show. Feeding them turkey finisher or something like that.

Wasn't there an old trick the show lads fed young stock to get them looking their best for a show. Feeding them turkey finisher or something like that.

Drop of linseed oil works well too. As does a good condition & bow dry :pac:

But now that you mention it, think i have heard of turkey finisher before.....

Drop of linseed oil works well too. As does a good condition & bow dry :pac:

But now that you mention it, think i have heard of turkey finisher before.....

Can you get conditioners for cattle?
    With the linseed oil I guess you put it on a cloth & rub in, how much would you use

Can you get conditioners for cattle?
    With the linseed oil I guess you put it on a cloth & rub in, how much would you use

No, feed it to them in the food! Same as with horses. There's loads of gimmicky things out for show cattle nowadays but sometimes old stuff works just as well.

No, feed it to them in the food! Same as with horses. There's loads of gimmicky things out for show cattle nowadays but sometimes old stuff works just as well.

Wher do you get the Linseed Oil? Around here they used to put it on new hurleys.

Wher do you get the Linseed Oil? Around here they used to put it on new hurleys.

Can get 1/5L containers in the agri stores, though it's also used as a base in some cattle vitamin/mineral drenches. I remember reading before that if it's fed to beef cattle too, it increases the omega3 in the meat when they're finally butchered which is pretty cool.
    Is the stuff for hurleys not boiled? Think it differs in some way anyway.

Can get 1/5L containers in the agri stores, though it's also used as a base in some cattle vitamin/mineral drenches. I remember reading before that if it's fed to beef cattle too, it increases the omega3 in the meat when they're finally butchered which is pretty cool.
    Is the stuff for hurleys not boiled? Think it differs in some way anyway.

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Pet--Equine/Equestrian/Equine-Minerals--Supplements/Linseed-Oil-45lt-0380742

No mention of cattle here. :D How much do you feed daily?

I used to just put a dollop in 30/50ml or so. It can be bitter so too much & they wouldn't eat the feed. Think it says it on the back of the container too. It's also an appetite promoter, apparently! If you look up turbo agri products, it's one of the main ingredients in their drenches, in comparison to Growvite who use molasses I think.

It's something I've always done with both horses & show calves so was just reading up a bit on it there now, the bit on conception rates of 87.5% to 50% is interesting, though you'd wonder if it was just lack of flesh on the cows in the first pace.

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/livestock/using-flax-in-beef-and-dairy-cattle-diets

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

The Turkey finisher used to work because it had highish levels of meat and bone meal.
    There are legal implications if feeding ration to species it was not supplied for.

Go to 9:40 on this. Had to laugh at the guy with the pour-on. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Feckin brilliant video Patsy. It was a bit like our place when I was a young lad except we used to shout more and had no pour on, only only the bottle to dose them ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MF290

Go to 9:40 on this. Had to laugh at the guy with the pour-on. :D

What on earth did I just watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Nearly there now.

Nearly there now.

Nice job. What make of gate is that, how much?
    Like the simplicity of it. Very similar to an old one I have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Nice job. What make of gate is that, how much?
    Like the simplicity of it. Very similar to an old one I have here.

I have it with a few years just hadn't put it up. Think it was got in Kerry co-op. It's new but I bought it second hand so can't say for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Bullocks wrote: »
    Feckin brilliant video Patsy. It was a bit like our place when I was a young lad except we used to shout more and had no pour on, only only the bottle to dose them ðŸ˜

So much like the good old days. But the roaring was the best part. Can hear my father in my head " Oh fcuk it we're ruined forget it we're ruined "
    I'd say some of the lads there ended up with more pour on in their system than the cattle.

Nice to come back from holidays and see stock happy and content.

Meant to attach pic earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Ch2000 bull calf born in January. Quiet as a lamb.

• Advertisement

Ch2000 bull calf born in January. Quiet as a lamb.

C'est un animal magnifique.

Advertisement