Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

rushvalley wrote: »
    Good he's my first calf off him. Second calver slipped him out on her own. Wasn't much to look at when he was born but has come on well as time passed. Cow is back incalf to lm2014 again

I’ve used him on a mpb pbr heifer so hoping for a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

https://youtu.be/y4UIv_oyVpEA few of the weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

Savage stock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Two 12 year old girls by Navarin. Aging well, though the CH has a touch of arthritis in the back legs so next year is her last.

DlRhWudWsAAHKLy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Still using blues!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

Very nice, what bulls are they off??

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Still using blues!!

How dya mean?

tanko wrote: »
    Very nice, what bulls are they off??

Two lims at start are kjb, 2blues are bbq 1st tellow lad is ch2304 ,buttier yellow lad is zag,ladt two reds are eby

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

How dya mean?

I still use blues but I think I'm the only one in north mayo !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

They are the real deal. Fair play to you.

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I still use blues but I think I'm the only one in north mayo !!

Isnt too many using them in south mayo in either. That richard jennings in claremorris does still have good blues , was a better farmer a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Put these two heifers incalf with Limo, with Ryde Uranos and Nenuphar in the breeding. Both heifers are Limox. Due on 15th and 16th of November. Have heard that both bulls aren't very suitable for heifers, but will see. Have full sisters of both heifers. Calving with 45+kgs calves unassisted, so fingers crossed with these two.
    DSCF3039.jpg
    DSCF3043.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Altea heifer 14 mts old

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Hi, we have being using the yellow weaner pads on the calves when weaning them off cows last couple yrs. We've noticed that this year especially that pads on there own won't do as some calves are able to still suck cows except where cow has small teats.
    Tried putting a inch screw through the pad and this helps give cow a prod but we are kinda disappointed that the pads don't work on there own. 100%
    Anyone else being using them??
    Thanks.

pure breed wrote: »
    Hi, we have being using the yellow weaner pads on the calves when weaning them off cows last couple yrs. We've noticed that this year especially that pads on there own won't do as some calves are able to still suck cows except where cow has small teats.
    Tried putting a inch screw through the pad and this helps give cow a prod but we are kinda disappointed that the pads don't work on there own. 100%
    Anyone else being using them??
    Thanks.

Ask for replacemnt and see if their better

Ask for replacemnt and see if their better

They are standard size and shape, don't think it's the product fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The calves are evolving.....:D

The calves are evolving.....

Yep few clever ones here anyway, annoying cos thought these pads were the bees knees last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If you are using a pack of 25 it would be normal for 1or 2 to figure a way to suck.
    Also don’t leave them together for more than a week. 5 days is usiually enough to do the job. The longer they have them in the cuter they’ll get

• Registered Users Posts: 11,604 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Doing a bit of overseeding today with the wagtail to thicken out my reseed from earlier on this year.
    A few mushrooms popping up here and there.

20180825_145611.jpg

20180825_145730.jpg

• Advertisement

If you are using a pack of 25 it would be normal for 1or 2 to figure a way to suck. Also don’t leave them together for more than a week. 5 days is usiually enough to do the job. The longer they have them in the cuter they’ll get

True for you.
    Yeah just do 3-4 calves at a time and generally works.
    Three I'm doing since yesterday it's only one that's sussed it and the cow is Simental with big teats that calf is getting tongue around sideways so I'll forgive that calf. 😀
    Just not 100 % as last few we did one sussed it out as well..
    Small complaint to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Cavesland Fenian Feb bull calf , BA x Ch 2nd calver

D2BAE7B8-D8E9-4F03-8F7A-D5B4CFD6A562_zpspowmzwy0.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭valtra2

Hefiers calves

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Doing a bit of overseeding today with the wagtail to thicken out my reseed from earlier on this year.
    A few mushrooms popping up here and there.

20180825_145730.jpg

Love it - Spot the Mushroom :D

gozunda wrote: »
    Love it - Spot the Mushroom :D

Spot the caterpillar. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You'd want a stick with you at all times, with this fella...........

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭Grueller

You'd want a stick with you at all times, with this fella...........

Interesting to see the power an animal like that has but it is a horrible way to treat an animal. Locking it in a confined space like that and goading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Grueller wrote: »
    Interesting to see the power an animal like that has but it is a horrible way to treat an animal. Locking it in a confined space like that and goading it.
    That bull is heading out to the arena - plaza de toros. The bullocks are used to keep the bull calm before he enters the arena. Whether we like it or not bull fighting is a tradition in Portugal, Spain and some South American countries although the Portuguese do not kill the bull.

Bull baiting was an Irish tradition and most towns had a bull ring.
    http://www.azores-adventures.com/2015/10/a-guide-to-portuguese-bullfighting.html

Base price wrote: »
    That bull is heading out to the arena - plaza de toros. The bullocks are used to keep the bull calm before he enters the arena. Whether we like it or not bull fighting is a tradition in Portugal, Spain and some South American countries although the Portuguese do not kill the bull.

Bull baiting was an Irish tradition and most towns had a bull ring.
    http://www.azores-adventures.com/2015/10/a-guide-to-portuguese-bullfighting.html

It's still a bit alien to farmers in this part of the world to see people taking pleasure in goading and ultimately to show yourself off by sticking a sword in between the bull's shoulder blades.

The Visigoths brought it into Spain in the abandoned colleseums. The invading Moors (muslims) brought pomp and pageantry with the fancy clothes and music. Still mostly off horseback.
    In the 1700's the sword was brought in and more ground based goading with the aim of killing the bull.

I had a fascination myself with it on Spanish television beamed in on a cheap satellite dish from aldi when I was younger. I quickly got fed up after seeing how an unequal match it always was and now have gone completely the other way now and it should be banned imo. I don't get no pleasure from it anyway.

It's only popular in central Spain.
    Catalonia who were looking for independence would have no time for it and generally see it as associated with the Madrid lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Love your mans choice of clothing.
    White runners, shorts and a pink polo shirt. Ideal for handling cattle.

Advertisement