Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's the breeding that fascinates me. Selective breeding over hundreds of years to produce the aggression. Kinda the opposite of what I'm trying to do with limousins . :)

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,604 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's the breeding that fascinates me. Selective breeding over hundreds of years to produce the aggression. Kinda the opposite of what I'm trying to do with limousins . :)

They pick the wildest cows and breed from them for the ring.

Agressive dog breeding is frowned upon now. So just saying. ...It's complete friggin madness.

Sticking arrows in and then swords breaking and then lighting the arrows and horns on fire. :rolleyes:
    Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Since you posted the original video back a few weeks ago I have been watching other videos from that farm in the Azores. The men that herd the bulls must be the quietest bunch of lads in the world. They hardly raise their voices especially when the bulls are in the "handling" areas of the yards. If that was in Ireland the lads would be roaring and shouting their heads off.

Ya, I found it myself on Google Earth. Portuguese island way out in the Atlantic. YouTube can take you on a journey of its own some times. Ended up watching wildebeest crossing the Mara river last night. Don't ask......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

The boss.....Bull.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Parishlad wrote: »
    The boss.....Bull.png

Christ, he's a powerhouse!!

Christ, he's a powerhouse!!

And whats better.......he's as quiet as a lamb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Parishlad wrote: »
    The boss.....Bull.png

Fine animal what’s the breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

My favorite of the year, a parthenaise (BZB) calf out of a BBx cow. Born mid March

High bike wrote: »
    Fine animal what’s the breeding

His sire and dam were both bred locally. Sire is a bull called Pelletstown Excel with Graham’s Unbeatable and Graham’s Poncho in back breeding. There is Honeylodge Admiral and Ronick Hawk in the dams line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

459749.png
    Usufruit bull calf 6 months old

Usufruit, he a culard? My brain is telling me culard for some reason. Nice calf.

Introduced the cows to strip grazing. Not impressed :D

Dlx7TerXcAEDjII.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Usufruit, he a culard? My brain is telling me culard for some reason. Nice calf.

Dlx7TerXcAEDjII.jpg

Had one old cow who could limbo dance and refused to cooperate ;)

gozunda wrote: »
    Had one old cow who could limbo dance and refused to cooperate ;)

Oh they broke through this morning.....so I went & bought a new battery for the fencer. Have remained behind it since:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dlx7TerXcAEDjII.jpg

Ya hes a culard

Amazing how they always find a safe cubby hole.
    She's in at the back and to the right of the tree in the first pic. I was moving the cows and calves to another field today and no sign of the calf. Cow doubled back to check for her. Once she knew where she was, she joined the others. I had to leave the gate open.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

From the ballina herald september 1918
    ballina herald sf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

serfspup wrote: »
    From the ballina herald september 1918
    ballina herald sf.jpg

Wow , Superphosphate of Slag, Sulphate of Ammonia & Catch Crops .
    From Sept 100 yrs ago & I thought this must be from the Journal 2018 .
    ( is there a saying " The more things change the more they stay the same )
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,604 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Track9 wrote: »
    Wow , Superphosphate of Slag, Sulphate of Ammonia & Catch Crops .
    From Sept 100 yrs ago & I thought this must be from the Journal 2018 .
    ( is there a saying " The more things change the more they stay the same )
    :D

What I got from that was they knew how to sow companion crops together and saw the benefits of it.
    Rye and vetches.
    Winter oats and vetches.

Que then 70 years of the chemical fertilizer revolution and all that knowledge is only just starting to be rediscovered again by "innovative" farmers.

Super phosphate then was probably the best natural fertilizer ever made available to man --- Guano.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

the slag would have had a lot of trace minerals and lime was filthy stuff,but with less artificial nitrogen plenty of fym and less compaction soil would be healthier.

the demise of catch crops and livestock on tillage land has been driven by cheap food at the cost of the environment.

Ironic that a fodder shortage was on the cards then because of light crops......maybe climate change?

• Advertisement

I'll bash yer fookin' head in, I swear on me Mum :D

DmKpfnNXcAAuTag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

F5019_C7_E-_D4_F7-4969-9858-848_DD24_E4622.jpg

PB Parthenaise heifer by ATA Sante due in a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Anyone ever come across this?

Came up over the last month. At first I thought It was an abscess. Got the vet to look at it and all they could say was they think it’s a cancerous growth. And it’ll either stop growing or it won’t. So far it’s continued to grow. 🙈

Typical as well, she’s a 17mth old 5 star heifer €142 on replacement index and she’s 2 months in calf.

Anyone ever come across this?

Came up over the last month. At first I thought It was an abscess. Got the vet to look at it and all they could say was they think it’s a cancerous growth. And it’ll either stop growing or it won’t. So far it’s continued to grow. 🙈

Typical as well, she’s a 17mth old 5 star heifer €142 on replacement index and she’s 2 months in calf.

Could it be this? Looks nasty though & the fact that it came up so quickly would be suspicious to me.

Could it be this? Looks nasty though & the fact that it came up so quickly would be suspicious to me.

I don’t think so. It Started growing out of her hock. It’s not coming from between her cluth. She was initially lame on it at the start but it’s not really bothering her at all now.

Looks sore alright. Was she sore with the vet poking it?

Looks sore alright. Was she sore with the vet poking it?

Vet didn’t do any poking at it. She just took one look at it while the heifer was in the crush and said it’s a cancerous growth. If it stops growing she’ll be fine, if not off to the factory with her.

However I have poked at it and it doesn’t bother her. Feels like a hard mass of muscle or tissue. You can’t really see from that picture but it’s growing out from the base of her leg and down across her foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,625 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Vet didn’t do any poking at it. She just took one look at it while the heifer was in the crush and said it’s a cancerous growth. If it stops growing she’ll be fine, if not off to the factory with her.

However I have poked at it and it doesn’t bother her. Feels like a hard mass of muscle or tissue. You can’t really see from that picture but it’s growing out from the base of her leg and down across her foot.

Would a cable tie or something really tight make it fall off.

:pac: Handy call out for her!
    I dunno, if I really liked the heifer I'd prob see if it could be removed under local anesthetic, then make a decision if it grows back or not.

• Advertisement

Don’t think a cable tie would work.

My vet is a brave age and took a bit of a turn so he had another vet in covering. Was a bit disappointed in her efforts to be honest.

She told me if it didn’t stop growing it would be a UCD vet hospital job to have it removed or off to the factory.

Advertisement