Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If it's not affecting her walk ld stop looking at it and leave well enough alone!
    If twas the wife or girlfriend we wouldn't give two hoots!! We're a funny breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

Muckit wrote: »
    If it's not affecting her walk ld stop looking at it and leave well enough alone!
    If twas the wife or girlfriend we wouldn't give two hoots!! We're a funny breed.

I agree, it’s not bothering her so I have separate from the rest of the herd with a cow and calf and I’m just letting her be.

Only problem is she’s just gone in calf. So a decision needs to be made soon on wether To chance her on till next spring and hope things go ok in the meantime or off to factory

• Registered Users Posts: 11,604 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you can smell a sweet seaweed smell on the wind.
    It's most definitely me.

Seaweed juice and cane molasses mixture going out.

20180909_122921.jpg

20180909_124538.jpg

Quick tip for anyone putting molasses in a sprayer.
    Put it in a jug and hold under the down jet from the agitator. The water mixture will keep coming over the top of the jug leaving the heavier molasses in the jug till it's all diluted up. Just don't let go of the jug. :)

Fill up the sprayer the rest of the way with water when you've enough molasses in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Say My Name at work;

mad%20scientists%201337.jpg

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Say My Name at work

Ah feck off! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Say My Name at work;

mad%20scientists%201337.jpg

I was thinking more...Beaker :D

Beaker-and-Honeydew-seaseme-street.png

Feck off you too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Feck off you too! :)

kisspng-dexter-s-laboratory-mandark-s-lab-cartoon-networ-dexter-s-laboratory-5ac5dc198c19a0.2965584715229163775739.jpg
    Surely

ganmo wrote: »
    Surely

A bit taller.. :D

Everyone knows the answer why the molasses I suppose?
    Or anyone have any additives that could go with that mixture? Worm juice is one I've heard could go well with that.

This is a picture thread so I may be slightly bending the rules.

But this is just mind blowing stuff.
    The cost of which it can be done for too is just amazing.
    Spraying compost extract on crops and showing how to make it.
    Biology farming. The future is now.
    As for research of new technology it kicks that Greenfields farm in Kilkenny well and truly up the arse. Back to the stone age.

https://youtu.be/VOvrFGJfpvM

• Advertisement

So are you going to build a Johnson-Su composter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

This is a picture thread so I may be slightly bending the rules.

But this is just mind blowing stuff.
    The cost of which it can be done for too is just amazing.
    Spraying compost extract on crops and showing how to make it.
    Biology farming. The future is now.
    As for research of new technology it kicks that Greenfields farm in Kilkenny well and truly up the arse. Back to the stone age.

https://youtu.be/VOvrFGJfpvM

Wpuld you ever do control strips on lets say 1 paddock?
    It would be very interesting to see if it does make a difference or is it a placebo affect of sorts?
    If there was a visible difference it would be far more interesting than watching americans and austalians who are in totally different climates to us and different demans on soil and farmland in general

Wpuld you ever do control strips on lets say 1 paddock?
    It would be very interesting to see if it does make a difference or is it a placebo affect of sorts?
    If there was a visible difference it would be far more interesting than watching americans and austalians who are in totally different climates to us and different demans on soil and farmland in general

Don't take this the wrong way but it's up to every farmer themselves to see what works and what doesn't work.
    I'm only fooling around myself on my own farm trying out a few different things. But it's fun for me and keeps it interesting and I haven't made a bad move yet.

I only discovered that clip from another farming forum last night. But it certainly blows traditional ag out of the water if true on only half of it.

Tbh if I did make a ground breaking discovery myself I'd be more likely to keep it under wraps and let everyone else go out of business in this dog eat dog world of farming.
    I ain't teagasc. They're big and bold enough with guidance from industry to do their own research for the benefit of agriculture. :)

So are you going to build a Johnson-Su composter?

The question maybe should be are you going to build and run a few Johnson- Su composters Patsy.
    Getting information out there is one thing implementation on your own farm is another. The trouble with biology is that many farmers have screwed up their soil that it'll take many years before they see an improvement and with "efficient" farmers having everything tightened to the last they can't afford to have the farm go backwards in productivity for a few years. Especially now with milk quotas gone.

In this country there's a few knowledgeable people on the subject. Dave Beecher is one who I've been to one of his talks.
    Internationally then Twitter is a great forum. Dave&Anne (Dig2Grow) authors of the books I'm reading atm.
    Kris Nicols (@glomalin) are just two others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

No such thing as an ill wind

I'm getting like Patsy now on YouTube!

Except with this one it'd be handy to understand German.

https://youtu.be/vGNinjDbMWQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Bad pic but probably my favourite calf this year. Out of a mighty little easy kept lim x sim cow. Should make a good cow in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

Bad pic but probably my favourite calf this year. Out of a mighty little easy kept lim x sim cow. Should make a good cow in time.

Topping must be a hoor on them fields:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

What age the calf? Are you giving them some ration? Nice looking animal. Don't think mine would be as good. Starting them on small bit ration this week

tellmeabit wrote: »
    What age the calf? Are you giving them some ration? Nice looking animal. Don't think mine would be as good. Starting them on small bit ration this week

Early April I think. Be around that time anyway. No that bundle aren't getting any. Have another bundle getting it for the last 2 months alright.

• Advertisement

I says wrote: »
    Topping must be a hoor on them fields:):):)

A dog and a stick is all you'd want.

Stumbled on this lady today, 405kg 970.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Was she the one I saw on done deal either way limestone lovely roan colour and best of luck with her

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

shes a beauty Limox Sh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Seriously nice heifer, what’s her breeding? Will you bull her straight away?

High bike wrote: »
    shes a beauty Limox Sh?

No a neighbour had her at show sale in gort. She's a limo out of a blue x friesan. Grand square deep heifer but no muscle really. I'll leave it till next may to bull her. Hard to get ones that know their way around the rocks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Fgg heifer and unexpected calf
    451774.jpg

Big change in 3 months. Major pita for the winter though:confused::(
    462015.jpg

Month old Glorieux (XGL) heifer calf. Never had one here before. His stars not great, but good muscle and docility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Month old Glorieux (XGL) heifer calf. Never had one here before. His stars not great, but good muscle and docility.
    Any assistance calving

• Advertisement

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Any assistance calving
    No calved away on her own. Very small cow too.

Advertisement