Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

My favorite heifer this year. Limox out of 12 years old BBxdairy cow. 3.5months old. Had plans about culling the cow this year, but have changed our mind for now. Will give her a couple more years. Trying to reduce number of half dairy cows in the herd.
    DSCF3183.jpg
    DSCF3180.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Month old Glorieux (XGL) heifer calf. Never had one here before. His stars not great, but good muscle and docility.

Nice outfit. If you sold as a team in a good sucklers sale and got 1500, I know it wouldn't make you up but would you be nearly getting the same price all things considered and no wintering of her at all?

We've been using herd bulls for quite a while now. With the herd growing decided that it would be good to use AI again, for some fresh blood. The first AI calves hit the ground this weekend. One heifer, 272days gestation and one bull calf, 276days gestation, out of Limox heifers, sired by two Red Angus bulls. Good to have shorter gestations and small calves. Our calves from Limo bull most of the time were 40-45+, and 290+gestation.
    DSCF3108.jpg
    DSCF3124.jpg

Will have two more heifers calving with Red Angus this fall, two heifers with Limousine and two Charx cows with BB calves. It should be fun.

Sorry for many posts. Just didn't expected to get calves this early. :)
    So the first BBx calf was born today. Unassisted, out of Charolaisxdairy cow, 274days gestation, should be ~45kgs. And, of course, it's a bull...
    42385532_1917409944971412_3060962929173069824_n.jpg
    The sire:
    http://www.netbbg.com/netbbg.site/index.php/bull/sorcier/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

golodge wrote: »
    Sorry for many posts. Just didn't expected to get calves this early. :)
    So the first BBx calf was born today. Unassisted, out of Charolaisxdairy cow, 274days gestation, should be ~45kgs. And, of course, it's a bull...
    42385532_1917409944971412_3060962929173069824_n.jpg
    The sire:
    http://www.netbbg.com/netbbg.site/index.php/bull/sorcier/

If it was a heifer would you keep her for breeding?
    Would she not be too muscly?

• Advertisement

If it was a heifer would you keep her for breeding?
    Would she not be too muscly?
    Yes, that was the idea from the start. We AI'd with BB those cows, which are big, has great calving ability, that we could leave their heifer. I really like bbx cows and their daughters, but now have only one left, so needs to bring some new ones. I'm pretty sure that he heifer from this cow wouldn't be that extreme as the cow is pretty plain looking and more of a dairy type.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ayh out of a Limo cow. Hard to beat the Parthenaise for a bit of shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The sugars are quare high in this year's silage...

20180927_161150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ped Feb KZH bull.

tQZN9pdh.jpg

'Tiny' Feb Crossmolina Jupiter bull with the repaired stifle joint. (Plus Alwent Hitman cow, not his dam, hate her, bould cnut)

U40h7BDh.jpg

4 month old culard :pac: TBH I've done nothing with him ropewise, maybe I'm just doubting myself but he's very fine in the bone & his back legs are quite straight. Opinions? Be a bad calf at a fatstock sale or a great calf at an average weanling sale?

VXYaxiLh.jpg

That kzh is a super animal. Savage length to him. He pb?

• Advertisement

That kzh is a super animal. Savage length to him. He pb?

Yea, pb fella. He's nice to look at but I really like his temperament. He's quiet & curious but respectful iykwim.

Yea, pb fella. He's nice to look at but I really like his temperament. He's quiet & curious but respectful iykwim.

How do you get on selling bulls with lower stars? I've a few smashing heifers low on the stars. Dosnt bother me but I'm in the predicament of using the best bulls to match the Heifers for a nice animal or use a limited number of bulls with very high stars and reliability. I'd rather breed for the animal iykwim. Is everyone fixated on replacement bulls or is their customers out there for good terminal bulls with easy calving?

How do you get on selling bulls with lower stars? I've a few smashing heifers low on the stars. Dosnt bother me but I'm in the predicament of using the best bulls to match the Heifers for a nice animal or use a limited number of bulls with very high stars and reliability. I'd rather breed for the animal iykwim. Is everyone fixated on replacement bulls or is their customers out there for good terminal bulls with easy calving?

We only have a few pb cattle here, so usually only a few registered a year. Have 2 bulls & one heifer this year & tbh I'd be embarrassed to show the other bull :pac: Heifer can be seen earlier in the thread though, zxt calf.

I'd be hoping everyone would breed for the animal too but it doesn't always work out that way. I looked at loads of bulls, high & low stars, selected kzh again as the last bull was nice off him & again.....fcuking again, was dealt a low blow with stars. Can't say I know much with terminal buls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ped Feb KZH bull.

tQZN9pdh.jpg

'Tiny' Feb Crossmolina Jupiter bull with the repaired stifle joint. (Plus Alwent Hitman cow, not his dam, hate her, bould cnut)

U40h7BDh.jpg

4 month old culard :pac: TBH I've done nothing with him ropewise, maybe I'm just doubting myself but he's very fine in the bone & his back legs are quite straight. Opinions? Be a bad calf at a fatstock sale or a great calf at an average weanling sale?

VXYaxiLh.jpg

Savage cattle. Ecolo calf probably too straight for showing as u said.white calf is quite plain in all honesty ....jupiter wont be used again here...pics of 2 calfs below

Savage cattle. Ecolo calf probably too straight for showing as u said.white calf is quite plain in all honesty ....jupiter wont be used again here...pics of 2 calfs below

Yea, same here with Jupiter, plain but will be great stores! Won't use him again but keeping a heifer of his off a milky cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

rushvalley wrote: »
    Mbp heifer from last year

Full sister born this year hopefully she turns out as good

A newborn bbx heifer out of 3/4Char cow. It's nice when everything goes well.

Ped Feb KZH bull.

tQZN9pdh.jpg

U40h7BDh.jpg

VXYaxiLh.jpg
    Will you try the culard next Saturday?

Will you try the culard next Saturday?

What's on Saturday? I can't plan anything with him until after the herd test next week. Though as he's only 4 months there's not much i can do with him really :pac:

What's on Saturday? I can't plan anything with him until after the herd test next week. Though as he's only 4 months there's not much i can do with him really :pac:
    Isn’t the show & sale on

• Advertisement

Isn’t the show & sale on

In carrigallen? He's too young! Think you have to sell in order to get the prize as well though could be wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Purebred Lim heifer from cow I bought in local mart for €1500. By my own bull. Her stars are poor but she has a nice shape to her. Growth too.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Purebred Lim heifer from cow I bought in local mart for €1500. By my own bull. Her stars are poor but she has a nice shape to her. Growth too.

She's nice, real cow maker, not to extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Purebred Lim heifer from cow I bought in local mart for €1500. By my own bull. Her stars are poor but she has a nice shape to her. Growth too.[/

Is that the same cow from which you sold the bull? She is doing well for you if it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

niice heifer patsy what age is she...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

She's nice, real cow maker, not to extreme.
    Ya, she's got great width at the hips. She should make a good working cow alright.
    Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Is that the same cow from which you sold the bull? She is doing well for you if it is?
    Ya, that's her. She's been lucky alright.
    High bike wrote: »
    niice heifer patsy what age is she...?
    Mid february. Cow has plenty of milk.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭adne

Nice animal Patsy. Seems to have decent length and not too muscly

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Few curaheen dickens calves, he puts a good stamp on his calves,I like that in a bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Few curaheen dickens calves, he puts a good stamp on his calves,I like that in a bull

That last heifer in Australia is sensational

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Advertisement