Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Few of the younger ones. Wasn't able to dehorn some of these with the hot weather. Once you get maggots on a calves head it's a bit of a mood killer for doing them in sun :pac:

May THZ lad off a RHF cow. Background is a late June Crossmolina Jupiter bull.
    zD0ouPcl.jpg

Two hairy salers off Ulsan, left is a May bull off a blondeX that almost got killed by a cow attacking his cosi-jacket. Right is mid March off a THZ heifer.

7EmVHKfl.jpg?1lKfL6sol.jpg?2
    4fAHTNFl.jpg

April orphan off a useless Virginia Andy 2nd calver.
    Sold the cow when he was 4 months- No milk, jumped like Shergar and wild to boot, couldn't deal with having her around any more :o

UyK3Wibl.jpg

Another Ulsan, this is the tart who's 3 months incalf to next doors ch bull :pac: Still no idea where she got out or he got in. Will be 22ish months at calving so not ideal but she's growthy.

Dpf0ILMW0AAHXx1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You have a great pic of grass there yet and lovely and green. Sweet heifer too btw !

Muckit wrote: »
    You have a great pic of grass there yet and lovely and green. Sweet heifer too btw !

The outfarm, been set stocked all year so only been licked & mulched, no slurry on it. But whatever is in it, the grass is great for growing heifers. So usually throw the breeding ones up there with the cows that have heifers we want for breeding. That ZXT heifer I posted here about a week ago with no feeding was up there too.
    Can't complain about the heifer, saved the 30euro AI fee :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Another Ulsan, this is the tart who's 3 months incalf to next doors ch bull :pac: Still no idea where she got out or he got in. Will be 22ish months at calving so not ideal but she's growthy.

Dpf0ILMW0AAHXx1.jpg
    Lovely heifer. As long as she is a decent size at the calving and not extreme calf, everything should go well!  Good luck!
    We had one 5 months old heifer get incalf maybe two weeks before taking the bull from the herd... It sure reduced her size, but she still stayed here for awhile and left some daughters.

• Advertisement

golodge wrote: »
    Lovely heifer. As long as she is a decent size at the calving and not extreme calf, everything should go well!  Good luck!
    We had one 5 months old heifer get incalf maybe two weeks before taking the bull from the herd... It sure reduced her size, but she still stayed here for awhile and left some daughters.

Here's hoping! She's putting up nice frame on her now so looks like she'll be a rangy enough size by calving time. Will have to ask the neighbour how the bull is for calving ease though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just had a look on Google Earth. They've updated it for 2018 and the clarity is unreal. I had a look at one of my fields and the tracks from the tractor after I licked the rushes can be seen. Talk about Big Brother watching you.
    If it wasn't for a few trees, I could count my silage bales too :).

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Just had a look on Google Earth. They've updated it for 2018 and the clarity is unreal. I had a look at one of my fields and the tracks from the tractor after I licked the rushes can be seen. Talk about Big Brother watching you.

I noticed that last week. Clearly see the path of sprayer and the slithers I missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There was a link somewhere on boards someone put up of a link to the Copernicus website. That satellite imagery is updated every 5 days or so.
    But the different layers it had to choose from was outstanding from soil moisture deficits in fields to vegetation index to photosynthesis, etc, etc.
    The commercial field sat companies get their imagery from Copernicus that tells you how your crop is doing from the eyes in the sky.
    There was even an option to let you 'see' through clouds.

Two Crossmolina calves for sale tomorrow- White 8 1/2 month old bull & brown mid March heifer. Originally had her chosen for breeding as he mother is one of our best cows & she's got a sweet temperament to boot. But just not shaped as a breeding animal :(

uNQzSPnl.jpg

I8JFCYbl.jpg

Leaving two sad looking boys outside looking for their missing female :pac:

Pedigree bull & culard. Two of them have matured very well in the last month, putting up decent flesh.

5Eseap1l.jpg

8ANfyual.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Simmental.

Two Crossmolina calves for sale tomorrow

Crossmolina Euro or Jupiter?

Simmental. wrote: »
    Crossmolina Euro or Jupiter?

Jupiter, feck had it typed and all. Find them to be rangier & plainer than Euro. Better cattle to hold weight imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Two Crossmolina calves for sale tomorrow- White 8 1/2 month old bull & brown mid March heifer. Originally had her chosen for breeding as he mother is one of our best cows & she's got a sweet temperament to boot. But just not shaped as a breeding animal :(

uNQzSPnl.jpg

I8JFCYbl.jpg

Leaving two sad looking boys outside looking for their missing female :pac:

Pedigree bull & culard. Two of them have matured very well in the last month, putting up decent flesh.

5Eseap1l.jpg

8ANfyual.jpg

That culard is some thriver

That culard is some thriver

Yea they're all doing well now. The nuts seem to have kicked in. Both the feeding & testosterone producing ones :D

Yea they're all doing well now. The nuts seem to have kicked in. Both the feeding & testosterone producing ones :D

I was thinking the same recently. Young bulls reach a point where they become bullish and strong, even if they are still under the cow. That brings them into a different price league altogether. It's like the guys buying for under 16 months or maybe the exporters take more interest.

I was thinking the same recently. Young bulls reach a point where they become bullish and strong, even if they are still under the cow. That brings them into a different price league altogether. It's like the guys buying for under 16 months or maybe the exporters take more interest.

Yea there's a sudden jump with some of them. Am surprised at the culard though, he's only just 5 months now so it'd be a bit young for him to hit some sort of maturity. Be intresting to see the white guys weight today, have him at 450ish in my head.

Could be better, could be worse! Happy with the bull anyway, though was out 25kg in his weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Could be better, could be worse! Happy with the bull anyway, though was out 25kg in his weight.

I thought you were high balling him a bit at 450. Although I thought he would go better then €2.50 a kg aswell. Not bad going at all tho really for the year that's in it. Your heifer while not breaking any records, did ok. Heifers are a terrible trade at the minute unless there exceptional. Seen grand white and golden heifers heavier then your bull going for not a whole pile more then your one. There's light heifers being bought for good suck calf money any other year. All in all a good day for 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭Base price

They're still thriving :)

Hopefully they will cover the bills when they're on the peg.
    First pic/link is from November 2017 when the weather was ****e.

The second is from July this year during the drought.
    The final one I took last week.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105385950&postcount=20
    The Limousin fella likes to keep his spot along the feed barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Jaysus.... they put on weight anyways...impressive!

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I thought you were high balling him a bit at 450. Although I thought he would go better then €2.50 a kg aswell. Not bad going at all tho really for the year that's in it. Your heifer while not breaking any records, did ok. Heifers are a terrible trade at the minute unless there exceptional. Seen grand white and golden heifers heavier then your bull going for not a whole pile more then your one. There's light heifers being bought for good suck calf money any other year. All in all a good day for 2018.

Yea it's better than a kick in the hole for sure!!
    Few nice heifers there that I'd picked out, kept an eye on them & they went 3/3.30 a kg, round 300kg or that. Nice broad goldie heifers.

Would you breed from those Goldie types?

Would you breed from those Goldie types?

It'd depend on the breeding behind them. Vey handy now looking up the tags online. There's was one, lot 120 I think, nice white stripe up her back, that I'd have bred from if I was looking to buy one. She made over 1k though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It'd depend on the breeding behind them. Vey handy now looking up the tags online. There's was one, lot 120 I think, nice white stripe up her back, that I'd have bred from if I was looking to buy one. She made over 1k though :pac:

A golden Charolais cow will bring a golden Limousine which will sell well but a white Charolais that won’t sell aswell as the golden

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

I see the Limousin champ at the show and sale today made 38K...and they say there is no money in farming! Was anyone at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

I see the Limousin champ at the show and sale today made 38K...and they say there is no money in farming! Was anyone at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    Where was that?

Roscrea. Carrickmore Maximus, champion from Tullamore.
    Is he gone to England??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Nice money if u can get it,gone to an ai station I presume

Advertisement