Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I see the Limousin champ at the show and sale today made 38K...and they say there is no money in farming! Was anyone at it?

I was at it. Very bad day for selling. He was a nice bull to be fair. The judge of the show bought him. Prominent breeder from Waterford was the underbidder. It's nothing to the big English lads to be fair, he could have a 100 pedigree cows.

5/6 other bulls sold for 5/9 k. Most bulls for around 2.3/3k allot of bulls not selling, maby 40% at a guess.

Nice quality made money, some bulls not good enough for that sale at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Strange to hear of the lack of quality in bulls...I'd regard that show and sale to be of a very high standard with bulls needing to be scored etc

Strange to hear of the lack of quality in bulls...I'd regard that show and sale to be of a very high standard with bulls needing to be scored etc

Ya it was. Not loads but you could pick 10 no hastle that shouldn't be there. This meeting a certain weight is not great either. Some fine bulls there that were as far as pigs instead of nice lean well muscled. You would have bought a fine bull for 2.5 k that would have hit 3.5/4 another year. No money around its that simple. Everyone is squeeze to the last this year.

Interesting enough, replacement stars didn't seem to matter much. Some with stars sold well but some nice lads with none went for good money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was at Rocrea also. Thought it was good enough, given the year in it. Often saw it worst. Foreman bulls sold well. So did the Lodge Hamlet ones, but they were younger ones. They all seemed a bit low to me. Heifers did surprisingly well.

So the €38,000 overall Champion bull, out of Baileys Ice Princess went to the Goldies Herd in Scotland. The judge for the sale. The Baileys herd own Goldies Jackpot. Just saying is all............:rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

I was at Rocrea also. Thought it was good enough, given the year in it. Often saw it worst. Foreman bulls sold well. So did the Lodge Hamlet ones, but they were younger ones. They all seemed a bit low to me. Heifers did surprisingly well.

So the €38,000 overall Champion bull, Out of Baileys Ice Primcess went to the Goldies Herd in Scotland. The judge for the sale. The Baileys herd own Goldies Jackpot. Just saying is all............:rolleyes:

Should have sent you a message and went for a pot of tea. You'd definitely want size with the hamlets. I left after a few Heifers had to go. Saw one sympa X ronick hawk go for 2600 I think calving in march. Thought she was value but you'd be afraid she'd melt at home.

Few Cerberus sold well too. Did you see the big Cerberus bull. A solid tank. Thought he would sell well but went unsold.

You see many jagerbombs around? Only two there today and I was very disappointed with them. I was thinking of using him but I don't know now. I know it's only two bulls. Was a smashing lm2014 there too. Handy size but very stylish bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, nothing special about Jaegerbomb. Thought Lot 89 was a super bull. By foreman, made €9,200. Lot 143 by Roundhill Saturn was a fine bull too, only made €3,700.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Ya it was. Not loads but you could pick 10 no hastle that shouldn't be there. This meeting a certain weight is not great either. Some fine bulls there that were as far as pigs instead of nice lean well muscled. You would have bought a fine bull for 2.5 k that would have hit 3.5/4 another year. No money around its that simple. Everyone is squeeze to the last mthis year.

Interesting enough, replacement stars didn't seem to matter much. Some with stars sold well but some nice lads with none went for good money too.

Your right,that weight for age is a load of sh!t. All it does is promote over feeding of young bulls which is no good to anyone. I sold a bull at a sale last year and was happy with how he was turned out and how he sold, it was only when I got home and was checking a few things I saw he was only 19 kgs above the minimum weight. Sure if he got any setback at all in the previous few weeks or if he traveled badly then he wouldn't have made the cut. Now I wouldn't have liked to have him fleshed any more than what he was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Your right,that weight for age is a load of sh!t. All it does is promote over feeding of young bulls which is no good to anyone. I sold a bull at a sale last year and was happy with how he was turned out and how he sold, it was only when I got home and was checking a few things I saw he was only 19 kgs above the minimum weight. Sure if he got any setback at all in the previous few weeks or if he traveled badly then he wouldn't have made the cut. Now I wouldn't have liked to have him fleshed any more than what he was

Wat was the minimum weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Wat was the minimum weight?

Don't know of the top of my head, I'll have to go back and check. It was weight for age, it wasn't just one specific weight.
    Edit
    460 days 686 kgs. My lad weighed 705 kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,608 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Filling the sprayer with tae.

20181030-143325.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

barrys or lyons?

ganmo wrote: »
    barrys or lyons?

Neither. ;)

Molasses and Milk.

20181030-151337.jpg

This is my reseeded ground this year.
    It was cut for silage last on the 15/10.
    I hadn't intended doing anything else with it as I thought it was too late. But 2 days ago after giving a gawk at it i decided there'll be more grazing on it so here i am with the nitrates regulations going out with molasses and milk. It'll frost proof it up a bit too hopefully.

There's a few of these fellas still coming up. So soil health looks good. :)
    1540912917018-2072790126.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Neither. ;)

Molasses and Milk.

20181030-151337.jpg

I hadn't intended doing anything else with it as I thought it was too late. But 2 days ago after giving a gawk at it i decided there'll be more grazing on it so here i am with the nitrates regulations going out with molasses and milk. It'll frost proof it up a bit too hopefully.

There's a few of these fellas still coming up. So soil health looks good. :)
    1540912917018-2072790126.jpg

Molasses and Milk?
    By god that's a new one for me if I'm being honest.
    What's the idea behind that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

He's either going to eat it himself or he's being a bit literal in the 'land of milk & honey' fables :pac:

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Molasses and Milk?
    By god that's a new one for me if I'm being honest.
    What's the idea behind that?

Fertilizer. ....pure and simple.

The leaves will take up any elements available in the mix.
    It'll also feed and multiply any bacteria on the leaves and any bacteria in the ground.
    When those bacteria die whatever elements they were made of becomes plant available.

The same principle as nitrogen mineralization as most farmers experienced after the heat and drought this year.

Plus I went with seaweed spray before the silage was cut and that's a once a year job sooo..this was all I was left with in my arsenal. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It'll also feed and multiply any bacteria on the leaves and any bacteria in the ground.
    When those bacteria die whatever elements they were made of becomes plant available.

The same principle as nitrogen mineralization as most farmers experienced after the heat and drought this year.

Plus I went with seaweed spray before the silage was cut and that's a once a year job sooo..this was all I was left with in my arsenal. :D
    You can ignore my PM about Sugar and Milk quota being abolished a while back so...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You can ignore my PM about Sugar and Milk quota being abolished a while back so...:pac:

Was there a quota for beet? Was it valuable ad the milk quota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Was there a quota for beet? Was it valuable ad the milk quota
    You had a certain number of tons to supply each year with delivery on certain dates for so many tons, usually every 2 or 3 weeks. There was little official trade in quotas that I can remember but you could 'subcontract' out the growing of it on your land or land 'taken' by you.

Tbh, for us, the beet tops were the best part of the crop, kept a good few cows and sheep on tops for 2-3 months of the winter every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

Ah the good old days of opening up the corners of the field to get the harvester in and the dodgy handles on the beet knifes - happy days eh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Let the carnage commence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Let the carnage commence.

Not a thing safe in your area now

Ha, never set foot on that bit of ground before. Bushes were so dense you couldn't get through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Ha, never set foot on that bit of ground before. Bushes were so dense you couldn't get through them.
    how may acres?

High bike wrote: »
    how may acres?

Probably around 5 in it altogether. Just making a start at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Never heard of that.

What's it costing you per acre though? Could you actually get a return on it?

Neither. ;)

You've either great ground or a shite mower

Never heard of that.

What's it costing you per acre though? Could you actually get a return on it?

The cost tbh I really haven't the foggiest.

Own milk, own water, own tractor and sprayer, own time and labour.
    The molasses was the only thing bought and that was on account. 20 litres what ever that cost??

Will I get a return on it?
    Well the grass was growing beforehand with big solar panels to take it in.
    There's never been a post on boards before of anyone spraying milk water and molasses on grass before and I've pricked ears to why anyone would do such a thing.
    Maybe I might get a return.

I'll definitely learn something new myself though by doing so.
    So I'm happy and that's all that matters.

You've either great ground or a shite mower

"Improved" ground I'd say. :)

You're on fire these last few days Donald.
    Don't forget to sleep!!

The cost tbh I really haven't the foggiest.

Own milk, own water, own tractor and sprayer, own time and labour.
    The molasses was the only thing bought and that was on account. 20 litres what ever that cost??

Will I get a return on it?
    Well the grass was growing beforehand with big solar panels to take it in.
    There's never been a post on boards before of anyone spraying milk water and molasses on grass before and I've pricked ears to why anyone would do such a thing.
    Maybe I might get a return.

I'll definitely learn something new myself though by doing so.
    So I'm happy and that's all that matters.

It's interesting. Own milk is fine, but if you're taking it out of your own tank, you're taking it out of the milk cheque so it's still costing a fair bit.

Understandable if you've done something that means you have to hold the milk back for a day or two. A heap of the cows on antibiotics etc. But if it's otherwise good for collection, I'd be wanting to be fairly sure of the benefit before lashing gallons out onto grass

If all else fails, you might get a return by convincing/conning people to buy the milk off ya to spread it on their own fields anyway. ;-)

• Advertisement

"Improved" ground I'd say. :)

You're on fire these last few days Donald.
    Don't forget to sleep!!

It reminded me of the old joke about the Yank visiting Kerry and telling the Kerry farmer about how it takes him three days to drive around his ranch back home and the Kerryman said "ah, sure I used to have an oul' heap of shite car like that too but I got rid of it"

Advertisement