Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,608 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's interesting. Own milk is fine, but if you're taking it out of your own tank, you're taking it out of the milk cheque so it's still costing a fair bit.

Understandable if you've done something that means you have to hold the milk back for a day or two. A heap of the cows on antibiotics etc. But if it's otherwise good for collection, I'd be wanting to be fairly sure of the benefit before lashing gallons out onto grass

If all else fails, you might get a return by convincing/conning people to buy the milk off ya to spread it on their own fields anyway. ;-)

You've gone into the wrong job Donald.

You should have become a farm adviser.
    I'm starting to wonder how I ever managed beforehand. Keep up the advice.

NB.. there's more to life than money. It's important but it's not the be all and end all. Returns are not always financial. The ultimate return for me is a fully functional balanced soil system requiring minimal inputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Pic I came across on Coolmore twitter .

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Even the bloody horses are dabbing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Wouldnt be a fanof horses but the thoroughbreds are some animals. Some power in that lad

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Filling the sprayer with tae.

20181030-143325.jpg

You got the milk and sugar alright :) you just forgot the teabags :p

In all seriousness fair play, would you try a compost tea or something like that in the mix?
    Looks like the fungi are already active in the soil which is good, but I thought the usual reason for applying a tea was to add some extra biology to the soil with a compost tea extract or something like that.

Speaking of which is anyone else heading to the Biological Farming Conference in Tullamore on the 12th & 13th of November?
    Say My Name you'd get a few brownie points for that spray mix there.

• Advertisement

Upstream wrote: »
    You got the milk and sugar alright :) you just forgot the teabags :p

In all seriousness fair play, would you try a compost tea or something like that in the mix?
    Looks like the fungi are already active in the soil which is good, but I thought the usual reason for applying a tea was to add some extra biology to the soil with a compost tea extract or something like that.

Speaking of which is anyone else heading to the Biological Farming Conference in Tullamore on the 12th & 13th of November?
    Say My Name you'd get a few brownie points for that spray mix there.

I wouldn't be telling a lie if I said I've thought about all of the above.

I don't really know if I'm going or not. If there's tickets still available next week then maybe??
    Good to see a teagasc representative will be there. So at least it shows that they're amenable to the growing evidence of biological farming. My interest comes from I've learned the abc's in ag college.
    I might as well find out what's after d now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Incalf heifers looking well before winter. All sired by Limousine stock bull. Calving will start at the end of March. Incalf with Blonde, Piedmontese and Angus calves.
    DSCF3219.jpg
    DSCF3197.jpg
    DSCF3194.jpg

Heifer due with Limo calf soon. The sire of the calf is sired by Ryde Uranos, maternal sire- Nenuphar. Should be quite a nice calf.

WP-20181103-09-19-35-Pro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

Lovely stock as usual , why don't you dehorn your cattle?

High bike wrote: »
    Lovely stock as usual , why don't you dehorn your cattle?
    Horns never been a problem, so we never thought about dehorning. And at this moment I prefer horns a bit more. We have a very bad situation with wolves in the whole country. I would think a horned cow could do a bit more damage to he wolf than a polled one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

golodge wrote: »
    Horns never been a problem, so we never thought about dehorning. And at this moment I prefer horns a bit more. We have a very bad situation with wolves in the whole country. I would think a horned cow could do a bit more damage to he wolf than a polled one.

Feck, is it a danger for yourself going out alone? Do you need to carry a gun? I know in Oz it's becoming more of a problem with wild dogs stalking people and there has been a few close ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

true enough , are ye allowed shoot them?

High bike wrote: »
    true enough , are ye allowed shoot them?
    There is a limited number of wolves, which can be hunted in the season. Only 60 wolves.There is one organization, which is strongly against hunting wolves. They say that there is only 300 wolves in the whole country for the past decade. In reality the number is a lot bigger, easily over 1000. This year there were a lot of attacks from wolves. Mainly sheep, dogs and some cattle. And wolves aren't really afraid of people. They have been seen in villages at the day time, in the yards. My dad became a hunter, just that we could own a gun and could protect our livestock. People started shooting wolves illegally, because it's the only working way of protection.

Feck, is it a danger for yourself going out alone? Do you need to carry a gun? I know in Oz it's becoming more of a problem with wild dogs stalking people and there has been a few close ones.
    No people attacks yet, but it's just a matter of time. People living near forest are scared to go out at night, or even go into a forest at the day time. Wolves aren't that scared of people and there are way too many of them. Many livestock and dogs were killed a couple metres from houses, in the middle of villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

There is a limited number of wolves, which can be hunted in the season. Only 60 wolves.There is one organization, which is strongly against hunting wolves. They say that there is only 300 wolves in the whole country for the past decade. In reality the number is a lot bigger, easily over 1000. This year there were a lot of attacks from wolves. Mainly sheep, dogs and some cattle. And wolves aren't really afraid of people. They have been seen in villages at the day time, in the yards. My dad became a hunter, just that we could own a gun and could protect our livestock. People started shooting wolves illegally, because it's the only working way of protection.

How is that figure arrived at?? Have u tried using livestock guard dogs of the type used in Turkey, Italy etc.??

Birdnuts wrote: »
    How is that figure arrived at?? Have u tried using livestock guard dogs of the type used in Turkey, Italy etc.??
    7 years ago the number was over 700. Since then they somehow can't count the real number of wolves, so says that there are only 300. Here you can't keep a dog running free. One farmer already got a fine for keeping his dog unleashed, his guard dog guarding sheep. That farmer had over 100 sheep killed this year and his Angus herd bull was attacked and injured. His dog was injured too. Very rare dog can stand against a wolf. I've done some research on this topic. Usually those breeds are aggressive to other people and trust only their owner. Can't imagine such dog herding sheep in the middle of the village. People have seen packs of 8-12 wolves. Would need quite many dogs.
    By a law we can't shoot a wolf, even if we see it slaughtering our livestock. Will need to do it illegally. Our cows are kept outside during winter, calving will start in January...

7 years ago the number was over 700. Since then they somehow can't count the real number of wolves, so says that there are only 300. Here you can't keep a dog running free. One farmer already got a fine for keeping his dog unleashed, his guard dog guarding sheep. That farmer had over 100 sheep killed this year and his Angus herd bull was attacked and injured. His dog was injured too. Very rare dog can stand against a wolf. I've done some research on this topic. Usually those breeds are aggressive to other people and trust only their owner. Can't imagine such dog herding sheep in the middle of the village. People have seen packs of 8-12 wolves. Would need quite many dogs.
    By a law we can't shoot a wolf, even if we see it slaughtering our livestock. Will need to do it illegally. Our cows are kept outside during winter, calving will start in January...

They would need to have a look at that rule cos I've been to rural Turkey and those guard dogs appear to work well and are not particulary agressive as I've seen them on the outskirts of villages, including tourist/ski resorts . I've no problem shooting "problem" wolves but how do you tell a wolf attack from a dog attack?? Maybe if might be better given that a certain number of wolves can be shot in season that hunters concentrate on "problem" animals while wolves in stable packs that stick to wild prey like Wild Boar, Deer etc. are left alone.

PS. Suprised to hear livestock are kept outside there in winter - can't think of many Irish breeds that would do well in such a hard winter climate without some sort of housing, especcially when calving early in the year:confused:

They would need to have a look at that rule cos I've been to rural Turkey and those guard dogs appear to work well and are not particulary agressive as I've seen them on the outskirts of villages, including tourist/ski resorts .  I've no problem shooting "problem" wolves  but how do you tell a wolf attack from a dog attack??  Maybe if might be better given that a certain number of wolves can be shot in season that hunters concentrate on "problem" animals while wolves in stable packs that stick to wild prey like Wild Boar, Deer etc. are left alone.

PS. Suprised to hear livestock are kept outside there in winter - can't think of many Irish breeds that would do well in such a hard winter climate without some sort of housing, especcially when calving early in the year:confused:

Can't remember hearing about dog attack here. It's extremely rare. People see wolves all the time. There even is a group in facebook about wolves, where everybody shares all the news, photos, videos. Many of footmarks found and people have seen wolves attacking livestock. 60 wolves can be hunted during their hunting season- August 15th- February 15th. During the first weekend on the hunting season 12 wolves were hunted...
    Cows have a shed, where they can come in if they want. Earlier cows used to calve outside, now with bigger herd, bring those near calving in the shed and keep them there until better warmer weather. Usually until March.

Filling the sprayer with tae.

20181030-143325.jpg

Apologies for butting in on a great few informative posts.

Looking at the sprayed ground today. It doesn't look the greatest. It's after turning slightly yellow.

Whether the mix has fed the soil microbes and now they've just given up on their relationship with the grass or there's too much calcium in the grass plant now or I dunno know??
    The sprayer was used for a seaweed spray before that and washed out after. So there was no chemical residue. And the milk was from high cell count cows but they weren't being treated with antibiotics. It could be the molasses itself. But I just don't know. It could be something to do with frost but untreated ground wasn't effected by the frost.

I'll just have to wait it out now and hopefully it resolves itself. Pity.

Can't remember hearing about dog attack here. It's extremely rare. People see wolves all the time. There even is a group in facebook about wolves, where everybody shares all the news, photos, videos. Many of footmarks found and people have seen wolves attacking livestock. 60 wolves can be hunted during their hunting season- August 15th- February 15th. During the first weekend on the hunting season 12 wolves were hunted...
    Cows have a shed, where they can come in if they want. Earlier cows used to calve outside, now with bigger herd, bring those near calving in the shed and keep them there until better warmer weather. Usually until March.

We have a big problem here with dog attacks which is why I mentioned it. - electric fencing could be a usefull cheap option for paddocks with vulnerable livestock and can be set up remotly from farm buildings now with the introduction of solar powered fencers. Saw a programme about them being used to keep Lions/Leopards out of livestock bomas in Kenya. Seemed to be very effective in that situation as they are even used to keep elephants out of crop fields!!

• Advertisement

We have a big problem here with dog attacks which is why I mentioned it.  - electric fencing could be a usefull cheap option for paddocks with vulnerable livestock and can be set up remotly from farm buildings now with the introduction of solar powered fencers. Saw a programme about them being used to keep Lions/Leopards out of livestock bomas in Kenya. Seemed to be very effective in that situation as they are even used to keep elephants out of crop fields!!

Yeah, I've seen that in your part of the world a huge problem is dogs.
    Wolves can easily jump over 1.6m electric fence or dig under it. Some people have posted of their electric fence-net for sheep being ripped apart by wolves, or holes under the fence. Very strong and smart animals. Can just imagine it's power when an average wolf easily is around 60kg, while in some parts of the world it can reach up to 120kgs...

Y U DO DIS :pac:

DraCHurXcAAOjs1.jpg

Bridging the disconnection of modern urban life and bringing it back to where life begins.

https://youtu.be/FdrCg6cm1og

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We headed to Roscommon mart today and I picked up these two for myself :)
    The pics aren't great as it was dark inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi BP, nice looking stock, was it a shorthorn sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Base price wrote: »

The very best of luck with them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi BP, nice looking stock, was it a shorthorn sale?
    Yes.

Nice. I love those Shorthorns. They make great sucklers. What price/age weight?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »

That first one is a beauty! Love the marking on her side, it's like a St Brigids cross.

Advertisement