Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Nice. I love those Shorthorns. They make great sucklers. What price/age weight?:rolleyes:
    pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Nice. I love those Shorthorns. They make great sucklers. What price/age weight?:rolleyes:

Tom stauton has pb shorthorn cows the likes I’ve never seen, they would put ch and Simms to shame, savage looking cows and great weanlings off them. Wouldn’t mind a few of them.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Tom stauton has pb shorthorn cows the likes I’ve never seen, they would put ch and Simms to shame, savage looking cows and great weanlings off them. Wouldn’t mind a few of them.
    Some of the older maiden and incalf heifers were serious animals. There were a few bulls that would put a lot of continentals to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Base price wrote: »
    Some of the older maiden and incalf heifers were serious animals. There were a few bulls that would put a lot of continentals to shame.

Bob charles had a great Shorthorn bullock one time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Serious stock. There's another fella locally here that wouldn't be into the showing side of things with a lovely type of shorthorn aswell. Big powerful fleshy types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Serious stock. There's another fella locally here that wouldn't be into the showing side of things with a lovely type of shorthorn aswell. Big powerful fleshy types.

There making serious money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

https://www.thatsfarming.com/news/shorthorn-sale-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

We headed to Roscommon mart today and I picked up these two for myself :)
    The pics aren't great as it was dark inside.

Nice. Best of luck with them. I was watching the first one on the live streem the society had up of the sale. I think that they are the next breed to have their rise coming like he and aa had the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

The very best of luck with them. I really like that first one. This a new venture for you? Was it you that mentioned before that you used to breed pedigree blondes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Who2

I’ve five shorthorn cows here love them as a mother. They throw a lovely sweet sort of calf that usually has style. The flightiest of Sh heifers turn into pure pets after calving too.

• Advertisement

The very best of luck with them. I really like that first one. This a new venture for you? Was it you that mentioned before that you used to breed pedigree blondes?
    I used to breed blondes years ago. I always like shorthorn cattle as a child, a lot of my grandparent's neighbours used to breed them.

In fairness the second one is as good and she has more length. I will try and get better pics in the next couple of days when they have settled in. The red one is Feb and the roan is March.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'd say a lot of these fancy roan heifers you'd see making big money are getting that colour from BB bulls and not shorthorn. Could mean a lot of surprises when it comes to calving.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I used to breed blondes years ago. I always like shorthorn cattle as a child, a lot of my grandparent's neighbours used to breed them.

In fairness the second one is as good and she has more length. I will try and get better pics in the next couple of days when they have settled in. The red one is Feb and the roan is March.
    Is that the start of your PB Shorthorn herd?
    Good luck with them

Is that the start of your PB Shorthorn herd?
    Good luck with them
    Ah sure will give them a go, they are going to be a hobby. It would be nice to have something that stays longer than 2 years on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone got their cattle housed yet?
    Do the bulls become a bit more cantankerous at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭High bike

All housed on Sat, 6 weeks later than last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

Still out will try and draw the hole out of it this year cattle in a fortnight this time last year.
    Will hope to get another fortnight out of this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I find that bulls are more obstreperous this time of year alright. I put it down to there work load being greatly reduced and generally winding down for the winter. Even a know cantankerous bull is usually better behaved when he's busy, it's when he's bored that he starts looking for a row.

A bull is never too be trusted but especially at this time of year. I see normally docile bulls grumbling and acting up the last few weeks, must be something in the air.

Yip - that is what I was thinking. It's a young bull that I was hoping would calm down and get used to me with a winter in the shed. But, I'm not sure if that is a risk worth taking. He refused to turn in the field and advanced a few times (not at pace) when I waved the stick to try to get him to follow the cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MrBuzzFarmer

Hi not sure where to post this but I’ve got 20 lorry load of laying hens manure available. It’s powerful stuff clean stuff no rubbish in it. Has any1 got any interest in it with some where a lorry could tip it?

• Advertisement

Yip - that is what I was thinking. It's a young bull that I was hoping would calm down and get used to me with a winter in the shed. But, I'm not sure if that is a risk worth taking. He refused to turn in the field and advanced a few times (not at pace) when I waved the stick to try to get him to follow the cows.

It's hard to comment without observing him but I'd be wary of a young bull starting off like that. In my experience it's usually more wicked they get as they age. There pushing the boundaries and getting more brazen each time. I've seen the same with cows calving, a heifer might start off shaking the head while standing over her first calf and by the time she was a third calver she'd run you out of the field for a week.

A spell in the shed might be worth a try as he's contained and you have escape routes. I would make sure to leave him with a few cows, preferably the more boss cows in the herd as they'll put manners on him. A few dunts from a more senior herd member may supdue the bull a bit. My biggest fear would be other people or children who may not be as cautious around him, you've seen him in action so will be more wary of him.

The biggest problem would be after turnout in the spring. Once he gets back into the field then you will be in his domain, it's a much harder environment to manage him versus in the shed. My opinion would be if he's tried to show dominance over you in the field by refusing to follow the cows then he's not a long term prospect. He's already shown his potential and made you uncomfortable, it's one thing for a bull to grumble and be a bit awkward but another to try and boss you around. I think making happy meals out of him might be the best option.

It's hard to comment without observing him but I'd be wary of a young bull starting off like that. In my experience it's usually more wicked they get as they age. There pushing the boundaries and getting more brazen each time. I've seen the same with cows calving, a heifer might start off shaking the head while standing over her first calf and by the time she was a third calver she'd run you out of the field for a week.

A spell in the shed might be worth a try as he's contained and you have escape routes. I would make sure to leave him with a few cows, preferably the more boss cows in the herd as they'll put manners on him. A few dunts from a more senior herd member may supdue the bull a bit. My biggest fear would be other people or children who may not be as cautious around him, you've seen him in action so will be more wary of him.

The biggest problem would be after turnout in the spring. Once he gets back into the field then you will be in his domain, it's a much harder environment to manage him versus in the shed. My opinion would be if he's tried to show dominance over you in the field by refusing to follow the cows then he's not a long term prospect. He's already shown his potential and made you uncomfortable, it's one thing for a bull to grumble and be a bit awkward but another to try and boss you around. I think making happy meals out of him might be the best option.

These are all my thoughts.

These are all my thoughts.

I think you know the answer to your own question. It's unfortunate that the bull isn't working out but none of them are worth the risk. Any bull has the potential to be dangerous but if they show a tendency to be more awkward than most it's a cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Agree with above comments.
    A Bull who does not join herd is very much too independently minded , to retain on the farm.
    Some of this behavior like a Spoil t Child, who doesn't want to do as you wish & wants to show his independence .
    Equally I would move him on , as you will always be on high alert working with him & as they say Health is better than wealth .
    On the upside for the buyer Pedigree Bulls have fallen in price .
    Best of luck.

First bundle in for weaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Have ye the cows driven out onto the burren yet?

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Have ye the cows driven out onto the burren yet?

Some on a bit of winterage at home alright. Need to dose them and scatter them out onto the other bits this week. Weanlings going back out again for the winter and have another 10 to wean aswell. Green land getting soft here now so time to be getting them off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

What’s the plan for them now?

Will you sell or do you bring them onto kill?

Panch18 wrote: »
    What’s the plan for them now?

Will you sell or do you bring them onto kill?

Keep them all until next march/April and sell then apart from whatever few replacements I'm keeping out of it. Had 10 of the strongest bulls sold already straight off the cows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

could ya picture this at a mart in ireland?
    imagine the laugh lads would have!!

Advertisement