Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

ganmo wrote: »

could ya picture this at a mart in ireland?
    imagine the laugh lads would have!!

I would like to see them start using flags and bags like they use there rather than the beating that happens in some marts here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I would like to see them start using flags and bags like they use there rather than the beating that happens in some marts here

Most drovers are very good. It's just the one donkey in every mart that doesn't have a clue how to handle stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Thought it was a funny picture. Calf you can barely see is about a week older than the others which were all born within 3 days
    466059.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Saw this on Twitter. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Thought it was a funny picture. Calf you can barely see is about a week older than the others which were all born within 3 days
    466059.jpg

Savage calves. What's the one on the left by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A gate!

Savage calves. What's the one on the left by?

Doon just the job...side door job.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Serious calf. I often thought of using him but calving difficulty put me off. Have you used him much? If so, is he hard calved?

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Serious calf. I often thought of using him but calving difficulty put me off. Have you used him much? If so, is he hard calved?

That was first one. Have 2 more next 2 weeks then 1 more in feb.
    So far hes very hard calved:D.
    Very big shoulders on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

That was first one. Have 2 more next 2 weeks then 1 more in feb.
    So far hes very hard calved:D.
    Very big shoulders on him.

I hope you strike gold with the next 3 aswell. Let us know how you get on.

What is the orange and white calf by? Nice calf aswell

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I hope you strike gold with the next 3 aswell. Let us know
    how you get on.

What is the orange and white calf by? Nice calf aswell

Knockmyle loki. Out of a solid red cow. Bit of a throwback going on there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Savage calves. Hopefully the rest of the just the job calves come ok. He has some length and width. Going to be a big lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Knockmyle loki. Out of a solid red cow. Bit of a throwback going on there

I hear good reports on Loki calves, How do you find him ?

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    I hear good reports on Loki calves, How do you find him ?

Only calf ive had or will have this year. With so few cows its hard to actually judge a bull.

That calf was easy calved but so were all the others apart from thr big lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've been flat out busy and haven't got a chance to take any proper pics of the two Shorthorn heifers. At the minute they are in quarantine in a pen in the old slatted unit. I'm waiting for vaccines to arrive that I ordered from our Vet - Rispoval RS+Pi3 (intranasal) and IBR before moving them into a new pen in another shed. In fairness the man who sold them told us that they were not vaccinated.
    Here are two pics of them nipping at meal that I took on the phone yesterday morning when the Sun was shining.

Base price wrote: »
    I've been flat out busy and haven't got a chance to take any proper pics of the two Shorthorn heifers. At the minute they are in quarantine in a pen in the old slatted unit. I'm waiting for vaccines to arrive that I ordered from our Vet - Rispoval RS+Pi3 (intranasal) and IBR before moving them into a new pen in another shed. In fairness the man who sold them told us that they were not vaccinated.
    Here are two pics of them nipping at meal that I took on the phone yesterday morning when the Sun was shining.

The red heifer looks better there than she did in first picture. 2 fine heifers by all accounts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

ganmo wrote: »

could ya picture this at a mart in ireland?
    imagine the laugh lads would have!!

For the purpose of moving cattle down an alley as a group it's not a bad idea. It's capable of doing the work of a person with the added bonus of being somewhat expendable regarding an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The red heifer looks better there than she did in first picture. 2 fine heifers by all accounts
    I'm no Shorthorn expert and don't claim to be but when viewing the lines of cattle in Roscommon mart there was a marked difference in the type of cattle on show.

IMO there seems to be two types - the traditional square deep bodied shorter type like the roan one and tight gutted longer types like the red heifer.

Anyway hopefully I've covered both basis and they remain healthy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

A fair size bull calf born this night. Out of Limox heifer, sired by limousine AI bull (Ryde Uranosx Nenuphar). Had to assist a bit, but nothing major. It'll be very interesting to see him grow. He is 79-80% Limousine... Heifer calved at 283days. Have another heifer, 7/8Limousine, incalf by the same bull and on 285th day. Still hoping for a heifer!
    46423718-352718228796206-8283291364632821760-n.jpg
    WP-20181111-09-15-05-Pro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Average just under €2,800. Anyone ever buy at these sales and if so how did the heifers do afterwards?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Average just under €2,800. Anyone ever buy at these sales and if so how did the heifers do afterwards?

Legwax did i think

I've never bought at O'Connors sale but have bought out of other annual sales in Elphin. The above sale has become a circus and the hype builds every year. There's a few lads around me that would buy from O'Connor every year and I don't consider there stock to be that extra special compared to others.
    Martin O'Connor has the name of selling the cream of the springer crop locally and in fairness he puts a lot of time and investment into the above. I think the springer job is done to death in the west, there's a bundle of incalf heifers in every mart most weeks from now till Xmas. The market for these animals has been difficult the last few years and coupled with recent talk of another exodus out of sucklers could see the market becoming even stickier.
    I can't see the above heifers returning much of a margin but each to there own, I have to admire Martin he has identified his market and panders to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

golodge wrote: »
    A fair size bull calf born this night. Out of Limox heifer, sired by limousine AI bull (Ryde Uranosx Nenuphar). Had to assist a bit, but nothing major. It'll be very interesting to see him grow. He is 79-80% Limousine... Heifer calved at 283days. Have another heifer, 7/8Limousine, incalf by the same bull and on 285th day. Still hoping for a heifer!
    46423718-352718228796206-8283291364632821760-n.jpg
    WP-20181111-09-15-05-Pro.jpg
    Lovely stock, 283 & 285 gestation is impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I've never bought at O'Connors sale but have bought out of other annual sales in Elphin. The above sale has become a circus and the hype builds every year. There's a few lads around me that would buy from O'Connor every year and I don't consider there stock to be that extra special compared to others.
    Martin O'Connor has the name of selling the cream of the springer crop locally and in fairness he puts a lot of time and investment into the above. I think the springer job is done to death in the west, there's a bundle of incalf heifers in every mart most weeks from now till Xmas. The market for these animals has been difficult the last few years and coupled with recent talk of another exodus out of sucklers could see the market becoming even stickier.
    I can't see the above heifers returning much of a margin but each to there own, I have to admire Martin he has identified his market and panders to them.
    Advertising by the Mart is key too, we tried the springer heifers 15 years ago, did it for 3 years with no joy

Yes advertising of all kinds is very important, especially in the early years before you gain a reputation and repeat custom. Alas I still think the market has become over subscribed in recent years and no amount of marketing is going to entice clients that aren't there.
    I would know one lad in particular who's main farming income was selling incalf heifers. He used to handle about 150 annually and was well regarded within the business. The money tied up between buying dear slips of heifers and getting them through to sale was immense, it worked for the first few years but he's all but gone out of the game now. He was one of a few at the start but now every man and his dog has a bundle of springers in the back end.
    Incalf heifers are different to dry stock in that the risk element is far higher, there a far more delicate animal. At least with a dry beast if you sell them as is that's usually the end of the story, with the springers if the cow lost the calf for any reason a lot of lads would expect some money back and blacken you if they didn't get it. If the heifer didn't calve to her time or had an unknown fault that only became known after calving more compensation was expected.
    My own biggest fear with a bundle like O'Connors would be Tb, imagine being locked up and trying to calve and mind teams like the above and you intending to have flogged them springing.
    The springer trade is a niche market and tbh for the outlay I don't see much of a return in most cases. I do know I wouldn't be going in competition with those already at it in a hurry anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Lovely stock, 283 & 285 gestation is impressive
    Thank you. The red is still waiting, but should calve very soon.
    It's short compared to our last Limousine stock bull. Average gestation this year was 288days, many were 290+, the shortest- 283days, the longest was 299days. You get quite nervous when a heifer is getting close to 290days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The culard makes the heifer look small :pac:

Z6kGZUyl.jpg

0cHNMVil.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

The culard makes the heifer look small :pac:

Z6kGZUyl.jpg

0cHNMVil.jpg

Super stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Super stock.

Thank you! I'm still wondering if it's the right thing to do with the bull as he's so young, haven't weaned him yet but going to take him away form the cow tomorrow. Not got great front legs either so starting to doubt him now. But I've had fun training them at least :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Super stock. What way have you them curry combed??!! :D

Advertisement